The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (Health Test) ??

Female is EIC clear just has not had any other test done.

Why are you doing the testing? For your piece of mind or possible breeding later?

Hip/Elbow after 2 years (done for any health guarantee on the litter, or for status as stud later) ~200
    CNM status (If your dog has-had CNM you will know it @ ~4-6mt, carrier doesn't really matter but you will need his status for later breeding) ~70
    EIC status (your dog while not affected might be a carrier, you'll need to know the pup actual status for breeding and who you can breed to safely) ~70
    CERF (I get it checked once for my piece of mind/litter health guarantee, and then only do it the year of any breeding, yes yes yearly is recommended however $70 a year for a normal rating seems excessive) ~70 unless you can find a clinic (also CERF & OFA are in a battle for listing results for this test, might not be worth the extra listing result fee, until that is decided)

Other sometimes seen on puppy advertising
    PRA (jury is out for requirement for this test, Used to be an only at risk test, and not very informative, I believe that has changed, if it is known to be in your lines, yes test, if not well I don't see very many litters advertising PRA tests in Field labs, it should be seen in CERF test) ~$195
    OFA Cardiac- Heart function testing (~$125) Used to see this a lot on litter advertisements, has gone down in resent years

Other useful test (for breeding)
    Color testing Bb (brown ~$35) Ee (Yellow ~ $35)

When to do the testing, for breeding I wouldn't start spending the $ until I know the dog had talent, then I'd do the hips/Elbows, and Cerf, if those come back good then I'd invest in the genetic tests, no need to do genetic tests on a dog with bad hip/elbows or Eyes, Unless your only testing for your information. Genetic single gene testing can be easily bred around, bad bone structure and genetic eye conditions can't.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 03-14-2013 at 01:08 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Why are you doing the testing? For your piece of mind or possible breeding later?

Hip/Elbow after 2 years (done for any health guarantee on the litter, or for status as stud later) ~200
    CNM status (If your dog has-had CNM you will know it @ ~4-6mt, carrier doesn't really matter but you will need his status for later breeding) ~70
    EIC status (your dog while not affected might be a carrier, you'll need to know the pup actual status for breeding and who you can breed to safely) ~70
    CERF (I get it checked once for my piece of mind/litter health guarantee, and then only do it the year of any breeding, yes yes yearly is recommended however $70 a year for a normal rating seems excessive) ~70 unless you can find a clinic (also CERF & OFA are in a battle for listing results for this test, might not be worth the extra listing result fee, until that is decided)

Other sometimes seen on puppy advertising
    PRA (jury is out for requirement for this test, Used to be an only at risk test, and not very informative, I believe that has changed, if it is known to be in your lines, yes test, if not well I don't see very many litters advertising PRA tests in Field labs, it should be seen in CERF test) ~$195
    OFA Cardiac- Heart function testing (~$125) Used to see this a lot on litter advertisements, has gone down in resent years

Other useful test (for breeding)
    Color testing Bb (brown ~$35) Ee (Yellow ~ $35)

When to do the testing, for breeding I wouldn't start spending the $ until I know the dog had talent, then I'd do the hips/Elbows, and Cerf, if those come back good then I'd invest in the genetic tests, no need to do genetic tests on a dog with bad hip/elbows or Eyes, Unless your only testing for your information. Genetic single gene testing can be easily bred around, bad bone structure and genetic eye conditions can't.

PRA test is a MUST for any dog that has show or English lines....
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Hunt'emUP- I am doing the test for both reasons. Like I said he is only 3mo old and (Has a long way to go before thinking about breeding) I can see he has talent at a young age, just thought why not do what I can at a early age instead of doing all at once. Not trying to get into the breeding game but if I ever want a pup out of him I can make sure I have cleared everything first.