The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: waterfowl grand slam

  1. #21
    Senior Member jacduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Middle of Michigan n Matagorda TX
    Posts
    402

    Default

    Missing 4 ducks, Barrow's, Harley, King and Fulvous. Got all the geese including the 4th and 6th oldest whitefronts on record per band records and no swan. Not sure I will pursue the ones I don't have, if they show up good, if not oh well. You do know that snow geese have 2 species like scaup and Canadas and Cacklers are multi sub specie also. A background on the various Branta Canadensis and baby geese

    http://www.sibleyguides.com/2007/07/...-canada-goose/

    Where did you get the fulvous? Are you including the mexican duck with the mottled?
    John C aka jacduck


    "Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    sulphur La.
    Posts
    37

    Default

    20 of the ducks
    5 of the geese
    o-cranes or swans

    All taken in south louisiana.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Mark Chase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Fall Branch, TN
    Posts
    182

    Default

    28 species of ducks ( no King Eider, no whilstling ducks and no cinnamon teal, 4 species of Geese taken during the last 32 years.
    Take a Kid Hunting and create a memory that will last a lifetime!

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    1,137

    Default

    I've shot 15 of the ducks and 2 different geese but I didn't see the speckled bellies in the geese category is that just a nick name for them?
    HRCH Dallys Wild Willow SH Born 11-06-97 Left Us 1-30-12 will always be in my thoughts RIP Willow

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    1,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jacduck View Post
    Missing 4 ducks, Barrow's, Harley, King and Fulvous. Got all the geese including the 4th and 6th oldest whitefronts on record per band records and no swan. Not sure I will pursue the ones I don't have, if they show up good, if not oh well. You do know that snow geese have 2 species like scaup and Canadas and Cacklers are multi sub specie also. A background on the various Branta Canadensis and baby geese

    http://www.sibleyguides.com/2007/07/...-canada-goose/

    Where did you get the fulvous? Are you including the mexican duck with the mottled?
    We have Fulvous here in Fl I've shot a few of them.
    HRCH Dallys Wild Willow SH Born 11-06-97 Left Us 1-30-12 will always be in my thoughts RIP Willow

  6. #26
    Member cajundogman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cut Off, louisiana
    Posts
    84

    Default

    Great topic!!!

    I have gotten 20 of the ducks and 3 of the geese. Guess I need to hunt a little harder!!!

  7. #27
    Senior Member Rick Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Klondike, LA
    Posts
    1,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Parker View Post
    I've shot 15 of the ducks and 2 different geese but I didn't see the speckled bellies in the geese category is that just a nick name for them?
    Specks are technically "greater white-fronted geese".
    If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

    (And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2012-2013 season log)

  8. #28
    Senior Member saltgrass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pensacola,FL
    Posts
    377

    Default

    18 of the ducks
    4 of the geese
    1 swan.

    Will be knocking out about 5-8 of the ducks, the rest of the geese and the sandhill this season. Hopefully!!!!

  9. #29
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Parker View Post
    We have Fulvous here in Fl I've shot a few of them.
    Been shooting them on the coast of South Carolina for thirty years already... So you guys should have a bunch of them...

    Thing I hate about them is how many times they will circle before coming in... dang crick in my neck by the time they make their mind up...
    Bill Davis

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    1,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Been shooting them on the coast of South Carolina for thirty years already... So you guys should have a bunch of them...

    Thing I hate about them is how many times they will circle before coming in... dang crick in my neck by the time they make their mind up...
    You have to be careful with the Fulvous because your only allowed one and some times they fly mixed in with the black bellies and you can end up shooting another one thinking it's a black bellies.
    HRCH Dallys Wild Willow SH Born 11-06-97 Left Us 1-30-12 will always be in my thoughts RIP Willow

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •