The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: waterfowl grand slam

Missing 4 ducks, Barrow's, Harley, King and Fulvous. Got all the geese including the 4th and 6th oldest whitefronts on record per band records and no swan. Not sure I will pursue the ones I don't have, if they show up good, if not oh well. You do know that snow geese have 2 species like scaup and Canadas and Cacklers are multi sub specie also. A background on the various Branta Canadensis and baby geese

http://www.sibleyguides.com/2007/07/...-canada-goose/

Where did you get the fulvous? Are you including the mexican duck with the mottled?
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

20 of the ducks
    5 of the geese
    o-cranes or swans

All taken in south louisiana.

28 species of ducks ( no King Eider, no whilstling ducks and no cinnamon teal, 4 species of Geese taken during the last 32 years.
    Take a Kid Hunting and create a memory that will last a lifetime!

I've shot 15 of the ducks and 2 different geese but I didn't see the speckled bellies in the geese category is that just a nick name for them?
    HRCH Dallys Wild Willow SH Born 11-06-97 Left Us 1-30-12 will always be in my thoughts RIP Willow

Quote Originally Posted by jacduck View Post
    Missing 4 ducks, Barrow's, Harley, King and Fulvous. Got all the geese including the 4th and 6th oldest whitefronts on record per band records and no swan. Not sure I will pursue the ones I don't have, if they show up good, if not oh well. You do know that snow geese have 2 species like scaup and Canadas and Cacklers are multi sub specie also. A background on the various Branta Canadensis and baby geese

http://www.sibleyguides.com/2007/07/...-canada-goose/

Where did you get the fulvous? Are you including the mexican duck with the mottled?
    We have Fulvous here in Fl I've shot a few of them.
    HRCH Dallys Wild Willow SH Born 11-06-97 Left Us 1-30-12 will always be in my thoughts RIP Willow

Great topic!!!

I have gotten 20 of the ducks and 3 of the geese. Guess I need to hunt a little harder!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Parker View Post
    I've shot 15 of the ducks and 2 different geese but I didn't see the speckled bellies in the geese category is that just a nick name for them?
    Specks are technically "greater white-fronted geese".
    If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2012-2013 season log)

18 of the ducks
    4 of the geese
    1 swan.

Will be knocking out about 5-8 of the ducks, the rest of the geese and the sandhill this season. Hopefully!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Parker View Post
    We have Fulvous here in Fl I've shot a few of them.
    Been shooting them on the coast of South Carolina for thirty years already... So you guys should have a bunch of them...

Thing I hate about them is how many times they will circle before coming in... dang crick in my neck by the time they make their mind up...
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Been shooting them on the coast of South Carolina for thirty years already... So you guys should have a bunch of them...

Thing I hate about them is how many times they will circle before coming in... dang crick in my neck by the time they make their mind up...
    You have to be careful with the Fulvous because your only allowed one and some times they fly mixed in with the black bellies and you can end up shooting another one thinking it's a black bellies.