The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Newfoundland???

Default Newfoundland???

I have a friend who wants a Newfoundland. Asked me if I knew of anyone who has them. I do not, nor am I very familiar with the breed. Any leads for responsible breeders would be much appreciated. He wants it for a family dog, he has three young girls (the youngest 2 years old) He specifically wants a very large dog. They also have a boat, so want a dog that will enjoy the water, and camping with the family as they do a lot of that. Need to get this right and find them a good puppy.
    HR UUD GRACH4 ROC UNJ About Time Ben SH UD RE AX MXJ OF WCX CGC "Ben"
    SHR Ironpaws Black Rock Time To Dream CGC "Kona"
    SHR Ironpaws Westshore Meant To Be CGC "Toby"
    Ironpaws Rags To Riches CGC "Zipp"

Look for longevity. Demand to know age and cause of death. The last two Newfies I knew were wonderful dogs, and dead by six (one cancer, one crippled by hip dysplasia and back problems).

Growing up, family friends had a Newfie that lived to fourteen, so it's possible.

Someone... An old regular... Could have been Miriam?? ... Was in Newfies first. Perhaps this person could be coaxed out of lurkdome? But I'm not sure it was her.

Sorry I can't actually help--the dog I knew growing up was always in my mind what "dog" meant.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

Thanks, that is a good start. The only one I've personally known was very dysplastic and could barely get up by a year old. But I know there have to be some good ones out there. I just spent some time on Newfoundland Club of America's website, looking at what they do for health clearances and emailed some people off the breeder/mentor list.

Miriam was into Newfies years ago. If the title of this thread doesn't bring her in she'd be worth pm'ing in a day or two and asking your questions.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Newfies are known to have hip dysplasia worse than our retrievers; and since they are even bigger dogs, it can really take them down. My suggestion for that would be to find a breeder using PennHip and has had results <.3 for Newfies. With that being said, that is about everything I know about the breed
    Jeremy
    Kankakee River HRC

Quote Originally Posted by luvalab View Post
    Someone... An old regular... Could have been Miriam?? ....
    just keepin' this bumped up so she spots it
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    just keepin' this bumped up so she spots it
    I should have said "treasured."

Sorry, Miriam!!!
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

haha. thanks guys. keep "bumpin' the thread up"

I did contact a breeder off Newfoundland Club of America's website, who happens to be a dvm, that recommended health clearances for the breed. Also found out that there is a Newfoundland National Specialty in Frankenmuth, MI. That is about 45 min from my house! Probably a great place to start meeting some breeders/dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen Marenich View Post
    haha. thanks guys. keep "bumpin' the thread up"

I did contact a breeder off Newfoundland Club of America's website, who happens to be a dvm, that recommended health clearances for the breed. Also found out that there is a Newfoundland National Specialty in Frankenmuth, MI. That is about 45 min from my house! Probably a great place to start meeting some breeders/dogs.
    I don't think anyone has ever accused me of being "treasured". HAHAHAHA

I can put your friend in touch with a friend of mine who is the Rain (Wo)Man of Newfies. She eats, sleeps breathes all things Newfy and she will know reputable breeders and all the right questions to ask. She also shows in conformation and obedience, as well as puts draft and water titles on her dogs.

I haven't had a Newf for years, but did do quite a lot with mine. She too had her CH, CD (I chose not to jump her), WD (Water Dog title) & DD (Draft Dog title), as well as being a therapy dog. She produced dogs with all those titles including a group winning bitch. She was the first dog I ever trained and owned, so she put up with a lot of mistakes (Ha! All my dogs since have too!), but was so tractable.

Heart issues -subaortic stenosis -is a huge concern, as are hips, elbows, etc. Also, reputable breeders will really screen their puppy buyers, so prepare your friend for that. The people who love this breed are passionate about them and wanting to foster all the qualities the breed embodies. Oh! As for size and your friend wanting a "large dog"-the standard is the standard for a reason and breeders conform to that.

Ok-enough! Back to Lurkdom!!

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you canít take it backÖ"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

I'd start here... http://www.glnewfclub.org/