The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: where is the younger crowd? they are missing out!

I would like to see more of the seasoned gamers take on a youngin and mentor them into the games. "Some" I have dealt with are distant and not willing to put in the time with a newbie. I was initiated in the hard way. Made a few laugh.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

What's facebook?

Hate to say it but face book isnt going to bring you new people really... Our club has a facebook account NOthing every really happens on it! They update some pics from time to time and announce some stuff here and there about date etc.. But the only people that see are people that already in the club!!!! Its not really going to bring new blood to the club There is just to much on facebook for someone to randomly find it... It is easier to update than a website true but you have to have people looking at it.

As far as the younger movement its not happening anywhere When i walk up to any line at a HT im the youngest there normally by 15 years!! (30) Its just not much of a young (18-35) persons game Normally people seem to get into serious dog work after they are older, kids are older, life has slowed down, they arent running in several different directions, I know lots of guys my age that duck hunt with dogs and they know i do the higher end training they just arent interested in it at this time They just dont have time, money etc.. I hear them say it all the time "I wish.. I just dont haev time with this or that.." Or they will show up at a couple training days/meetings and just never reshow cause they cant have this or that... I'm sure once i have kids hit the ground my time spent at HT's will drop significantly I didnt even get into the game till after college Just wasnt enough time or $$
    Last edited by i_willie12; 03-13-2013 at 12:16 PM.
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by PalouseDogs View Post
    Wingman, I assume you're talking about the Spokane Bird Dog Association NAHRA club. Thanks for throwing birds. I brought my golden to that training day. (Learned that she's not nearly so steady when there are other dogs around! Duh.)

I totally agree that the website is almost always out-dated. The solution? YOU, yes, YOU, could leap up and volunteer to help keep it up to date. I'm afraid to grumble about the out-dated web site because someone would suggest that ***I*** do the updating. Actually, I would, but I already volunteer so much for the obedience and agility trials for the Moscow-Pullman dog club that I don't have time for yet another volunteer activity. And the Moscow Pullman club (the Palouse Hills Dog Fanciers) is struggling along on fumes right now. If it loses another major volunteer like myself, it may completely disappear.

Small clubs like the SBDA LOVE, LOVE new blood. I think most dog clubs are really struggling right now. I don't think it's the economy. I think it's partly sprawl (which makes it tougher for people to get to meetings), partly so many other recreational activities that people can do, partly that most households now have both spouses working (clubs can't lean on the non-employed wives anymore), and more people are working well past retirement age. Retirees are a life line for clubs, as long as they are in good health.

IMO, Facebook is not the answer. I'm on Facebook. There's so much clutter on FB (the endless games invitations I can't seem to stop, the ads, the uninteresting posts, etc.) that I hardly check it anymore, and if I do, the signal to noise ratio is so high, I miss most of the stuff I'd like to read.

Kelly
    Facebook may not be the answer. If I had a guess I would say half of the s.b.d.a. is not on Facebook anyway. However relaying event dates and sharing pics and random info is very easy on fb. I don't love what Facebook has become either, but I was lucky I had the event sheet that was handed out at the banquet dinner, or else I would of missed the training day and not meet some really nice people. I had never seen dogs work like that in person( I do remember your dog and it is a very good looking dog!) and saw what I am shooting for in my training! I have been to two events and thought they both seem to be run very well and I will be at the big horn show(I can't wait) with my pup. I also don't want to over step and seem like I.am complaining because that is for from the truth, just curious. I don't want to upset anyone being a newbie cause I have a ton of questions and alot to learn!
    Last edited by Wingman509; 03-13-2013 at 12:27 PM.
    My pup-Kanyon's Rambo With A Cause (Rambo)
    And my 2 year old- Ollie (my lab husky mix, she is a pheasant tracking machine! And the reason I started bird hunting!)

At 26 Id imagine Im part of the "younger" crowd as well!
    River Bottom Retrievers

HRCH River Bottom Riparian Backwater MH - "Timber"
    (FC Riparian Windfall X HRCH Drenicks Castile Creek Allie MH)

River Bottoms Simply Elegant - "Pearl"
    (FC Drake's Bay Parting Of The Sea X Oldsquaw's Miss Darla QAA)

River Bottoms Leather N Lace - "Lacey"
    (FC AFC Wood River's Franchise X CFC Baypoints My Girl)

www.RiverBottomRetrievers.net

Mass club email!!! Thats what we use the most I'm on several area club emails and they send out a good amount of updates, random contacts, up coming stuff through those. Now everyone has a email these days. Even to old folks!!
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

Most people seem to run into the same issues regarding when they have time to dedicate to retriever training and often it seems to be before kids/after kids. Hard to go to the events and regular training for a pup when you have kids around that have ball games, school functions, and birthday parties. Once the kids grow up though, of course a dog makes a great replacement...
    Last edited by Spring; 03-13-2013 at 10:34 PM.

The youger peopel are out actually hunting their dogs while the old folks are south training their dogs.
    www.steenoutfitters.com
    Hunting the Chesapeake with Chesapeake's.
    Captain Thor of the Chesapeake **, MH, WDQ
    Captain Thor's Gracie girl **, MH, WDQ
    Captain Thor's Lulu Belle **, MH, WDQ
    Next project
    Captain Thor's Nina Bean Benelli

Where's the younger crowd? Um.... they're probably posting "selfsies" on instagram and then twittering about it.

FB has jumped the shark, dude.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

I am a member of several clubs---LIGRC, waterfowlers club, shooting club, decoy collectors club, retriever club---and it's the same story all over. The average age must be around 55 yrs. old.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."