The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 57

Thread: A hypothetical day as president……

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    4,148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    kinda bummed more of you did not play
    I would like to see a few of yous day
    mjh or Franco say?
    Something worthy of a little thought .

    Abolish all funding for the Departments of Education, Energy, HUD, FEMA, United Nations (they want a place to go, they can go to the Middle East or Africa)

    Take a good look at any department suffering from mission creep. Eliminate block grants. Downsize the EPA. Take the Department of Agriculture from welfare agency to scientific research. Downsize the Department of Defense. Restructure the Department of Transportation to the point of eventual elimination. Layoff 20% of the Federal work force. Fire every federal employee who owes income tax. Abolish all public funded retirements for elected officials. Institute a 5 year ban on former elected officials lobbying congress. Eliminate the Department of Homeland Security. Eliminate Race based efforts at all levels & institute a meritocracy. Require that all benefits given the federal bureaucracy be no better than those available in the private sector to the general public. Abolish Davis-Bacon. Eliminate any options federal employees have to form anything resembling a union. Take the credit cards away from every federal employee, make all transactions in cash, with receipts. Require all retreats be held in the office provided, no more taxpayer funded goodies to resorts.

    Privatize the USPS, Amtrak, Fannie, Freddy,

    Sign a balanced budget, not for next year, but for immediately.

    I would move the Feds out of everything that they were not constitutionally authorized to accomplish. You will see no lifetime 67% voting record from me .

    That's just a start, I reserve the right to edit & add more.
    Last edited by Marvin S; 03-14-2013 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Add fannie & freddy
    __________________________

    Marvin S

    Everyone's friend is No One's friend

    Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Shelbyville, Tn
    Posts
    1,450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Something worthy of a little thought .

    Abolish all funding for the Departments of Education, Energy, HUD, FEMA, United Nations (they want a place to go, they can go to the Middle East or Africa)

    Take a good look at any department suffering from mission creep. Eliminate block grants. Downsize the EPA. Take the Department of Agriculture from welfare agency to scientific research. Downsize the Department of Defense. Restructure the Department of Transportation to the point of eventual elimination. Layoff 20% of the Federal work force. Fire every federal employee who owes income tax. Abolish all public funded retirements for elected officials. Institute a 5 year ban on former elected officials lobbying congress. Eliminate the Department of Homeland Security. Eliminate Race based efforts at all levels & institute a meritocracy. Require that all benefits given the federal bureaucracy be no better than those available in the private sector to the general public. Abolish Davis-Bacon. Eliminate any options federal employees have to form anything resembling a union. Take the credit cards away from every federal employee, make all transactions in cash, with receipts. Require all retreats be held in the office provided, no more taxpayer funded goodies to resorts.

    Privatize the USPS, Amtrak,

    Sign a balanced budget, not for next year, but for immediately.

    I would move the Feds out of everything that they were not constitutionally authorized to accomplish. You will see no lifetime 67% voting record from me .

    That's just a start, I reserve the right to edit & add more.
    You do those things, you won't have to worry about lobbyists. There won't be anything to lobby for. Lobbyists didn't create the gov., the gov. created the lobbyists.

  3. #43
    Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Ghent, Ky
    Posts
    2,527

    Default

    Send a invitation to the House and Senate for a conference in Hawaii. When they all get on the plane divert it to Gitmo. Have a team of Special operators interrogate each member. Have a fax line set up with a specially appointed attorney and a Federal judge issuing warrants on all the people mentioned in the interrogations. Have the US Marshall service picking up these scumbags. If there are ANY Reps or Senators that are not dirty bring them home. Keep the rest at Gitmo.
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

    Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    4,148

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caryalsobrook View Post
    You do those things, you won't have to worry about lobbyists. There won't be anything to lobby for. Lobbyists didn't create the gov., the gov. created the lobbyists.
    Having seen a couple of very severe layoffs in the private sector I know it's possible to do that & turn things around quickly. Every one wants to cushion the fall - if someone or something is not adding value why keep them or that around.

    I'm presently reading the "Barbarous Years" by a harvard history professor of 60 years. It is about the settling of the East Coast from 1600-1675. Interesting book, & says a lot of why the culture is what it is today in that part of the country. Next book will be Coolidge by Amity Schlaes, looks like a POTUS I can agree with, which would be a 1st .
    __________________________

    Marvin S

    Everyone's friend is No One's friend

    Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

  5. #45
    Senior Member menmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Every journey starts with 1 step.
    My first step would be obeying the law and submitting a budget in earnest.

    But then, I love America and want whats best for her.
    And I would be a good congressmen and vote against it. So all that good thought you put into it would be one big waste of time. I would agrue that provided too much for defense and not enough for the elderly, but I would consider approving it if the rich got a tax cut.

    Sucks doesn't most powerfull person in the world and you are trying to help people and bunch of ass holes want to see you fail...who cares what good you could do...they just want you to look bad so they can be in power.

    Get a clue

  6. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Who is it that isn't paying attention??
    I'll try to reply without using terms such as "dumb" even though they may be appropriate; as it Seems like the double standard is alive and well with the echo chamber
    .
    First of all CONGRESS has not produced a budget every year as you state. You are also wrong as to your obvious opinion of what Congress even is.!!!
    A quick primer; The Legislative branch consists of two seperate bodies. There is the House of Representatives & There is the Senate.
    Together these two bodies make up "CONGRESS"
    The law requires Congress to submit a budget to the Pres for him to sign or veto
    That hasn't happened recently

    In spite of that failure the echo chamber continues to prattle on about Obamas failure to submit a budget. Maybe you should spend less time making posts about underinformed voters and get informed yourself. More of that double standard at work

    The echo chamber also vilifies Ron Paul because he couldn't get anything enacted; while simultaneously praising Rep. Ryan for his as yet futile non productive work on the budget. More double standard at work
    Good advice - the president is required to submit his proposed budget to congress by the first monday in February. The congress is not required to enact the presidents budget but it is considered a starting point and it does lay out the presidents priorities. Both houses of congress prepare and submit budgets that are supposed to be reconciled. How many years has it taken the senate to propose or submit a budget? How long since the senate has acted on a house budget sent to them for reconciliation?

  7. #47
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mcpoland View Post
    Good advice - the president is required to submit his proposed budget to congress by the first monday in February. The congress is not required to enact the presidents budget but it is considered a starting point and it does lay out the presidents priorities. Both houses of congress prepare and submit budgets that are supposed to be reconciled. How many years has it taken the senate to propose or submit a budget? How long since the senate has acted on a house budget sent to them for reconciliation?
    Bingo.....
    Bill Davis

  8. #48
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mjh345

    Who is it that isn't paying attention??
    I'll try to reply without using terms such as "dumb" even though they may be appropriate; as it Seems like the double standard is alive and well with the echo chamber
    .
    First of all CONGRESS has not produced a budget every year as you state. You are also wrong as to your obvious opinion of what Congress even is.!!!
    A quick primer; The Legislative branch consists of two seperate bodies. There is the House of Representatives & There is the Senate.
    Together these two bodies make up "CONGRESS"
    The law requires Congress to submit a budget to the Pres for him to sign or veto
    That hasn't happened recently

    In spite of that failure the echo chamber continues to prattle on about Obamas failure to submit a budget. Maybe you should spend less time making posts about underinformed voters and get informed yourself. More of that double standard at work
    The echo chamber also vilifies Ron Paul because he couldn't get anything enacted; while simultaneously praising Rep. Ryan for his as yet futile non productive work on the budget. More double standard at work
    Quote Originally Posted by mcpoland View Post
    Good advice - the president is required to submit his proposed budget to congress by the first monday in February. The congress is not required to enact the presidents budget but it is considered a starting point and it does lay out the presidents priorities. Both houses of congress prepare and submit budgets that are supposed to be reconciled. How many years has it taken the senate to propose or submit a budget? How long since the senate has acted on a house budget sent to them for reconciliation?
    HMMMMMM.....seems to be some confusion on who is "underinformed."


    United States budget process
    From Wikipedia

    The Federal government of the United States uses a budget process to create the United States federal budget. The framework is used by Congress and the President of the United States to formulate the budget and was established by the Budget and Accounting Act of 1921,[1][dead link] the Congressional Budget and Impoundment Control Act of 1974,[2] and by other budget legislation.

    Prior to 1974, Congress had no formal process for establishing a coherent budget. When newly-elected President Richard Nixon began to refuse to spend funds that the Congress had allocated, Congress adopted a more formal means by which to challenge him. The Congressional Budget Act of 1974 created the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) and directed more control of the budget to it and away from the President's Office of Management and Budget (OMB). The Act passed easily while the administration was embroiled in the Watergate scandal and unwilling to provoke Congress.[3]

    Overview
    The President, in accordance with to the Budget and Accounting Act of 1921, must submit a budget to Congress each year. In its current form, federal budget legislation law (31 U.S.C. 1105(a)) specifies that the President submit a budget between the first Monday in January and the first Monday in February. In recent times, the President's budget submission, entitled Budget of the U.S. Government, has been issued in the first week of February. Thus, President George W. Bush submitted the FY2007 budget in February 2006. The President's budget submission, along with supporting documents and historical budget data, can be found at the Office of Management and Budget's (OMB) website. The President's budget contains detailed information on spending and revenue proposals, along with policy proposals and initiatives with significant budgetary implications.

    Each year in March, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) publishes an analysis of the President's budget proposals. CBO budget report and other publications can be found at the CBO's website. CBO computes a current-law baseline budget projection that is intended to estimate what federal spending and revenues would be in the absence of new legislation for the current fiscal year and for the coming ten fiscal years. However, the CBO also computes a current-policy baseline, which makes assumptions about, for instance, votes on tax cut sunset provisions. The current CBO 10 year budget baseline projection grows from $3.7 trillion in 2011 to $5.7 trillion in 2021.

    The House and Senate Budget Committees begin consideration of the President's budget proposals in February and March. Other committees with budgetary responsibilities submit requests and estimates to the Budget committees during this time. The Budget committees each submit a budget resolution by April 1. The House and Senate each consider those budget resolutions and are expected to pass them, possibly with amendments, by April 15. Budget resolutions specify funding levels for appropriations committees and subcommittees.

    Appropriations committees, starting with allocations in the budget resolution, put together appropriations bills, which may be considered in the House after May 15. Once appropriations committees pass their bills, they are considered by the House and Senate. A conference committee is typically required to resolve differences between House and Senate bills. Once a conference bill has passed both chambers of Congress, it is sent to the President, who may sign the bill or veto. If he signs, the bill becomes law. Otherwise, Congress must pass another bill to avoid a shutdown of at least part of the federal government.

    In recent years, Congress has not passed all of the appropriations bills before the start of the fiscal year. Congress has then enacted continuing resolutions, that provide for the temporary funding of government operations.
    Hopefully this helps the "underinformed!"
    Last edited by road kill; 03-15-2013 at 02:04 PM.
    Stan b & Elvis

  9. #49
    Senior Member huntinman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    HMMMMMM.....seems to be some confusion on who is "underinformed."


    Hopefully this helps the "underinformed!"

    Maybe someone Misunderstood
    Bill Davis

  10. #50
    Senior Member TCFarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thurston County, WA
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Don't know if it would be legal, but I would start by signing an executive order to eliminate base line budgeting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •