The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Epic Breeding"!?!?

Default "Epic Breeding"!?!?

Just curious as to what everyone's opinion is on pedigrees. I see a lot of "excellent", "outstanding", "great" thrown around a lot when it comes to breedings. Personally I wouldn't consider any of those terms accurate unless the litter is out of at least one FC. Not saying that a fantastic dog cant come from two JH's.What does the forum think?
    Last edited by misarskennels; 03-13-2013 at 09:50 AM.

I don't care what titles the dogs have. I care about previous litters out of the same sire/dam. It's worth of strong expletives if previous breedings of the same pair have produced significant results. Otherwise, it's a crap shoot in my mind.
    Darrin Greene

1.any of the breedings that took place with Lottie -NFC AFC Candlewoods Tanks A Lot

2. Lean Mac x FC AFC Chena River No Surprise

3. Super Powder x FC AFC Nakai Anny
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Honcho X Super Powder bitch
    Whygin's Cork Coot X Super Chief bitch
    Cork of Oakwood Lane X Paha Sapa Chief bitch

Is there a pattern here, definitely, 3 generations of the same bloodline cross which was successful in every generation

In my opinion, "epic" should be reserved for NFC (or NAFC) x FC AFC type of breedings or above. Examples: NFC Willie x FC AFC Kweezy, NAFC Maxx x NAFC Hattie, NFC Chopper x NFC Windy.

Epic is something rare and coveted. FC x JH breedings are definitely not rare.
    "Speed of the captain, speed of the ship."

Travis Lund
    Stony Brook Kennels
    www.stonybrookkennels.net
    Foley, MN

ive seen a breeing out of NFC Maxx X NFC flipper and i havent heard much of those pups, ive heard flipper doesnt throw very good pups, so saying that a pedigree has to have titles to make it "good" "great" and so forth doesnt always apply, although it doesnt hurt lol, darrin said it i think its more important of how previously litters have turned out

epic is a word that could be in the "big word" thread.

imho "excellent", "outstanding" and "great" are all legitimate descriptors of current breedings(as long as they are followed by the word "potential")

also imho, epic is a term more appropriately used in retrospect.
    john mccallie

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Should probably be reserved for a repeat litter that has already produced multiple (majority of the first litter) coveted titles?
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Except.....somebody had to take a chance on the first breeding!
    While it's nice to get a pup out of a proven producer, it'soften harder than getting one by a proven sire. The female's reproductive career, especially if she herself competes, is short and often, by the time her pups are proving themselves, she's too old to breed again.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    I don't care what titles the dogs have. I care about previous litters out of the same sire/dam. It's worth of strong expletives if previous breedings of the same pair have produced significant results. Otherwise, it's a crap shoot in my mind.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    epic is a word that could be in the "big word" thread.

imho "excellent", "outstanding" and "great" are all legitimate descriptors of current breedings(as long as they are followed by the word "potential")

also imho, epic is a term more appropriately used in retrospect.
    Excellent post. The word EPIC should be used for breedings in the past which produced a litter which has proven to be outstanding or "great".

I agree that current breedings may have the potential to produce outstanding or "greatness", but only time will tell. There have been some breedings in the past 5 years that were supposed to be outstanding combinations of lines and dogs, but they just did not produce the "greatness" folks anticipated.

Helen