The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: American Cocker

  1. #1
    Senior Member polmaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Stirling Scotland
    Posts
    780

    Default American Cocker

    Gotta Share this wee guy with Ya!



    ...
    And it swims!...
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

  2. #2
    Senior Member John Lash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Posts
    1,884

    Default

    Nice pictures, especially the first.

    Apparently you use Bumper Boys too...
    John Lash

    "If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

    "Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

  3. #3
    Senior Member firehouselabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE
    Posts
    1,984

    Default

    He/She is an exception rather than a rule!!! Nice to see a working American cocker!!
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

    According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!


  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Upper Peninsula, MI
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Here's a link to some more working Am. Cockers: http://www.glacshe.com

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Where can I get one of these? The misses wants a house dog and I want another hunter.

  6. #6
    Senior Member polmaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Stirling Scotland
    Posts
    780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firehouselabs View Post
    He/She is an exception rather than a rule!!! Nice to see a working American cocker!!
    Apparently ,It is constantly exceptional .

    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

  7. #7
    Senior Member Fire Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Bismarck, ND
    Posts
    478

    Default

    He is very cute!! Great pics!!
    Greg Erickson


    Scratchboard Dog Portraits and Wildlife Art
    www.gregoryericksonart.com

  8. #8
    Senior Member Dave Flint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PMG 131 View Post
    Where can I get one of these? The misses wants a house dog and I want another hunter.
    I would strongly suggest you look at a field bred English cocker rather than an American version. The % of American cockers that show any instinct at all is extremely small. They have been selectively bred to for too long for “bug eyes” that are easily damaged by running through cover & their noses are too short to carry birds well.

    They are notoriously un-trainable; even to housebreak.

    The English Cockers on the other hand have a very distinct “split” in the breed with the field version performing almost on par w/ a good Springer. They are extremely affectionate & make great house/truck dogs.

    I train w/ a pro spaniel trainer quite often & I see disappointed husbands all the time who bring a dog to be trained as a hunting companion because their wife was assured that it was a “hunting breed” only to learn that the miserable thing has had all of the hunting instinct bred out of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River

  9. #9
    Senior Member polmaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Stirling Scotland
    Posts
    780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    Nice pictures, especially the first.

    Apparently you use Bumper Boys too...
    Yes! The Remote Launcher,with Bumpers,is a fantastic tool for Marking!....This wee guy will also be featured at Crufts ,representing the breed in the Gundog arena! (Watch out for him)
    He has already featured at 'Show' in crufts. But the wee Guy,Just loves Retrieving.


    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

  10. #10
    Senior Member polmaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Stirling Scotland
    Posts
    780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Flint View Post
    I would strongly suggest you look at a field bred English cocker rather than an American version. The % of American cockers that show any instinct at all is extremely small. They have been selectively bred to for too long for “bug eyes” that are easily damaged by running through cover & their noses are too short to carry birds well.

    They are notoriously un-trainable; even to housebreak.

    The English Cockers on the other hand have a very distinct “split” in the breed with the field version performing almost on par w/ a good Springer. They are extremely affectionate & make great house/truck dogs.

    I train w/ a pro spaniel trainer quite often & I see disappointed husbands all the time who bring a dog to be trained as a hunting companion because their wife was assured that it was a “hunting breed” only to learn that the miserable thing has had all of the hunting instinct bred out of it.
    I also see and 'hear', and 'read' about many disappointed people with Labrador Retrievers ...They keep me in Business!!
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •