RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Localized Demodex Mange/spay question

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Julie R. 
#1 ·
Have a female Lab pup, 9 months old. At 7 months we noticed a spot on her head, took her in to vet for scape at which time demodex was discovered. Was given a topical miticide to apply daily for a month, Goodwinol. At first the Goodwinol made the spot worse as hair came out, and then slightly better. During this time one other quarter sized spot popped up on shoulder, same treatment. After 8 weeks of nothing substaintial, vet prescribed Ivermectin to knock it out. We are 2 weeks into ivermectin so hard to say, I am sure it is working. Qustion I have relates to timing of spay, we always had plans to spay pup, once she was phsyically mature. Some research shows that a heat cycle will cause a flair up of mange. I dont want to spay her now, as she is being treated, at the same time I surely dont want her heat cycle to trigger a relapse assuming we get it under control. Again, localized case, 2 spots. Would the knowledgable dog folks on here, continue to treat and let her go into heat as planned, or get her spayed as soon as it is under control (assuming timing works that way)? In bewteen a rock and a hard place, thanks.

#3 ·
Localized juvenile demodex is fairly common in young retrievers, and usually clears up once the dog and its immune system are fully mature, so yes I'd wait til after she's had her heat cycle before getting her spayed. The demodex mite is something all dogs have, but it usually only causes problems when the dog has a compromised or immature immune system. Coming in season shouldn't compromise the immune system (but I am not a vet, might want to check with one) but in any case, I'd rather take the risk of dealing with a spot or two of demodex which should easily clear up with age and ivomec, than take the risk of things that can happen when a dog is spayed too early. I happen to be a believer that the sex hormones play an important part in normal growth/development. I've known a lot of young retrievers that had the juvenile demodex that clears up after the initial outbreak, and never appears again, even during a heat cycle. If it is generalized demodex, that is much more serious, but from your description that's not what you pup has. Perhaps you heard the generalized demodex flares up when a female is in season? I don't know if it does, but do know dogs that have the generalized form should not be bred.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.