The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: How young to enter started test?

  1. #1
    Junior Member gsp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Central Missouri
    Posts
    21

    Default How young to enter started test?

    I realize all pups are different, but I was wondering what people's thoughts are on the age to enter a pup into a started/junior test?

    My little girl is 15 weeks now and I'm pretty sure she could pass a started test, not that I'm looking to enter her right now. I haven't ran any retriever tests, but it looks like some of the dogs I've seen in the started tests are about a year old. My original plan was to get her through the started by the end of the spring or early summer? Then get ready for duck season and more senior levels next spring... I know there are no "time tables" in dog training, but I wanted hear some thoughts from more experienced handlers.. .

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member jecartag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    211

    Default

    I ran first started test at just over 7 months, and had 4 passes at just over 8 months. This is my first dog...maybe with an experienced trainer who knows when he coulda have run his first test. But, like you said, it is definitely not a race.
    Jeremy
    Kankakee River HRC

  3. #3
    Senior Member fishduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    nowhere Alabama
    Posts
    1,310

    Default

    I ran my first hunt test dog in started at 4 months old. She passed one day and failed the other. Passed her first seasoned test at 7 months old. She is now 6 years old and I just recently got her creeping/line manner issues under some kind of control.

    You can run a dog that early and pass tests but the monster you create will follow you all of the dogs career. Slow down and run the pup when doing seasoned level work.
    Mark Land

  4. #4
    Senior Member Duckquilizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Mid-TN
    Posts
    922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    I ran my first hunt test dog in started at 4 months old. She passed one day and failed the other. Passed her first seasoned test at 7 months old. She is now 6 years old and I just recently got her creeping/line manner issues under some kind of control.

    You can run a dog that early and pass tests but the monster you create will follow you all of the dogs career. Slow down and run the pup when doing seasoned level work.
    This is where I feel it too. At a min, its highly advisable to run a test when the pup is doing work at the next level. For started=doing well near the seasoned levelor at a min starting to handle decent. Now if you like to push the limit and don't mind failure, go ahead. fish is correct though, you stand a good chance of creating some really nasty habits.
    Kendall Layne

    HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

    Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

  5. #5
    Senior Member KwickLabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Roscoe, IL
    Posts
    1,885

    Default

    gsp1 asked:
    "I know there are no "time tables" in dog training, but I wanted hear some thoughts from more experienced handlers."
    Duckquilizer quoted "fishduck's" reply and agreed. I agree, too.

    So you now have three (in a row) that feel the same way. Oops....a correction is in order......four.
    Last edited by KwickLabs; 03-13-2013 at 12:25 PM.
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    1,138

    Default

    In AKC tests the rules require that dogs have to be 6 months old to run.
    Last edited by Scott Parker; 03-13-2013 at 12:43 PM.
    HRCH Dallys Wild Willow SH Born 11-06-97 Left Us 1-30-12 will always be in my thoughts RIP Willow

  7. #7
    Senior Member thelast2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    230

    Default

    Justin Tacketts, Yella ran and passed started HRC test at 3.5 months old
    Jesse

    HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

  8. #8
    Senior Member Lonnie Spann's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    606

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thelast2 View Post
    Justin Tacketts, Yella ran and passed started HRC test at 3.5 months old
    And???

    I guess you can run one when its big enough to drag a duck back to the line.

    Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

    Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

    HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (But no free jacket).

  9. #9
    Senior Member Duckquilizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Mid-TN
    Posts
    922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thelast2 View Post
    Justin Tacketts, Yella ran and passed started HRC test at 3.5 months old
    That's what they say on the dog food commercial... I've also seen some screwy stuff happen at a test and dogs pass too... Not saying this happened here.
    Kendall Layne

    HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

    Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

  10. #10
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gsp1 View Post
    I realize all pups are different, but I was wondering what people's thoughts are on the age to enter a pup into a started/junior test?

    My little girl is 15 weeks now and I'm pretty sure she could pass a started test, not that I'm looking to enter her right now. I haven't ran any retriever tests, but it looks like some of the dogs I've seen in the started tests are about a year old. My original plan was to get her through the started by the end of the spring or early summer? Then get ready for duck season and more senior levels next spring... I know there are no "time tables" in dog training, but I wanted hear some thoughts from more experienced handlers.. .

    Thanks
    I ran Elvis in NAHRA started at 4.4 months.
    By 7 months he had titled and passed the regional invitational, he is forever an All-American with NAHRA.

    I will share some advice with you.
    Relax and wait.

    You are asking, no BEGGING for trouble!

    There a several regulars on this board that judged & watched him.
    And beleive me, the little dude could tear those tests up!!!!!!

    Looking back, it wasn't worth it, I should have waited.
    Unfortunately, there was no one telling me this advice.

    If you want to discuss why, pm me, we can talk on the phone.
    You will thank me.
    Stan b & Elvis

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •