RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

How young to enter started test?

3K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  Quackwacker 
#1 ·
I realize all pups are different, but I was wondering what people's thoughts are on the age to enter a pup into a started/junior test?

My little girl is 15 weeks now and I'm pretty sure she could pass a started test, not that I'm looking to enter her right now. I haven't ran any retriever tests, but it looks like some of the dogs I've seen in the started tests are about a year old. My original plan was to get her through the started by the end of the spring or early summer? Then get ready for duck season and more senior levels next spring... I know there are no "time tables" in dog training, but I wanted hear some thoughts from more experienced handlers.. .

Thanks

#2 ·
I ran first started test at just over 7 months, and had 4 passes at just over 8 months. This is my first dog...maybe with an experienced trainer who knows when he coulda have run his first test. But, like you said, it is definitely not a race.

#3 ·
I ran my first hunt test dog in started at 4 months old. She passed one day and failed the other. Passed her first seasoned test at 7 months old. She is now 6 years old and I just recently got her creeping/line manner issues under some kind of control.

You can run a dog that early and pass tests but the monster you create will follow you all of the dogs career. Slow down and run the pup when doing seasoned level work.

#4 ·
This is where I feel it too. At a min, its highly advisable to run a test when the pup is doing work at the next level. For started=doing well near the seasoned levelor at a min starting to handle decent. Now if you like to push the limit and don't mind failure, go ahead. fish is correct though, you stand a good chance of creating some really nasty habits.

#8 ·
And???

I guess you can run one when its big enough to drag a duck back to the line.

Lonnie Spann

#10 ·
I ran Elvis in NAHRA started at 4.4 months.
By 7 months he had titled and passed the regional invitational, he is forever an All-American with NAHRA.

I will share some advice with you.
Relax and wait.

You are asking, no BEGGING for trouble!

There a several regulars on this board that judged & watched him.
And beleive me, the little dude could tear those tests up!!!!!!

Looking back, it wasn't worth it, I should have waited.
Unfortunately, there was no one telling me this advice.

If you want to discuss why, pm me, we can talk on the phone.
You will thank me.

#12 ·
My first dog was 5 months old when we ran started, way back when. I never got her past a HR cause I couldn't stop the breaking.My second we skipped started and went 4 for 4 for his HR and then got an HRCH. The next 2 skipped started one has her HR and the other needs one pass (he's a breaker) and my last girl skipped started has HRCH, QFTR, and a SH. The extra time training pays off in the long run.

#13 ·
At least do yourself a favor and wait until you have completed force fetch. I have judged a lot of started test and believe me it is not fun to have your handler begging the pup to bring the bird back. They might do great in training, but remember this is a whole new ball game for them and you would be surprised how much trouble a real young pup can get into.

#14 ·
My experience is with HRC Hunt Tests and I have seen a lot go wrong on started tests for what a lot of people consider the easiest level. Typical challenges include:
Running out of a boat or blind, gunfire, retrieving nasty slobber covered ducks, retrieving through decoys, duck calls, a gallery, judges and helpers. Once you get to seasoned, apply all the worst case scenarios for gun safety.

Not saying your started dog will do any of the above but I would prepare for the worst case scenario. Watching one dog not familiar with the distractions at the line, barking at decoys, rolling on the duck like its a sweet perfume instead of retrieving it and not completing the retrieve is enough for me to recommend training for and then testing prior to spending the time and money to find out what it does or does not know at a test.

#15 ·
Thanks for all the advise on running a started test on a young pup! I gotta admit, I was pretty excited about seeing how quickly I could get some passes in the SHR but I've decided I should wait awhile and keep working on the basics before some bad habits appear.

#16 ·
Good decision. I find the advice here is priceless.

Thanks for all the advise on running a started test on a young pup! I gotta admit, I was pretty excited about seeing how quickly I could get some passes in the SHR but I've decided I should wait awhile and keep working on the basics before some bad habits appear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.