The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: Do you keep a daily log of each dogs performance and/or other info. If yes, what info

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 41.56%
  • No

45 58.44%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Training log

Default Training log

Do you keep a daily log of each dogs performance and/or other information involving client info or test dates?

I don't keep a daily log but I do keep one. I fill in progress and things to work on. I don't have clients but if I did I probably would. It's been fun to look back and see where we started and issues we worked through and what we have a acomished.
    Steven

Nordahl's First Flight (Sadie)

Nordahl's Dream in Extreme JH (Dixie)

Nordahl's Flyin High (Sky) RIP

Wild Meadow Retrievers

Keep info coming. I'm thinking of making an app that would handle and organize all this info. Trying to decide if people would use this and also trying to decide what all to put in it.

Just started keeping a journal on my herd about 2 months ago. I make note of what training we did and how the dog was progressing, Location, also make note if weather is out of ordinary. And anything else I feel pertinent.
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

I started keeping daily training notes early on. Many years ago I was a chess coach and a quote by a Grandmaster chess player/author became my journal's supporting rationale.

Journal Entry:
    Learning how to train dogs is a long-term process. What you know and can apply at any one time is critical to the advancement of your dogs. Dog training is somewhat like chess. "It depends a great deal on how much you know. But, what you know is really everything you've learned, minus all you've forgotten.........and the forgetting process is powerful". by Rolf Wetzell

Therefore, it would seem a daily record enhances
    "remembering" and is a wise course of action. It provides a reference with context. This "paper trail" will provide quick recollection and inhibit the "forgetting process". You will know more because you have planned to forget less.
    Last edited by KwickLabs; 03-13-2013 at 02:17 PM.
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

I started keeping one this year after taking on client dogs full time. I record all correction instances, handles, sketches of test setups (marking, blinds, etc) and any comments I want to record on performance.
    "Dont insult the alligator until you have crossed the river"

I voted Yes, although I wouldn't say I keep a DAILY log, I do write down a lot of stuff. Some of my writings are training notes, plans, and what happened during training. Others are blogs or email posts. I also make test results sheets prior to every show to record set-ups, results, etc. I'm trying to get better about writing training plans for the day before I start training. It helps me stick to the program and not veer into something I'm not prepared for.

I keep most eveything in a loose-leaf notebook. At the end of the year, I transfer the year's writings to a folder (one of those kind that lets you bind together a big stack of paper). Always fun to pick up a prior folder and read about where I was.
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

I didn't vote. I've kept logs in past years but am not currently keeping one. I should be, going back to them helps a lot. By not keeping records on what they're doing I'm sure I'm missing some minor things that could grow into more major issues.

If you are planning on making something I could keep on my computer, then I'd like the ability of a putting a picture of the test on it with easy access to a way of editing the pic to put lines on it to show what each dog did. Probably a way to keep it as a thumbnail on the page of the log to be clicked on and brought up to full size.

I used to take digital pix of each test, edit the pic with what the dog's did and store it in an excel based report. Waaaay cumbersome.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Jim that was a great quote.

Howard the plan is to make a way to import a photo of the setup and allow editing of the photo with the line that that dog took. Also import a google image and edit that with placing marks and blinds as well as lines to bird. I have lots of things planned so we will see how it works out. I'm would like it to work as a iPad or iPhone app as well as a computer version.