RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Do you keep a daily log of each dogs performance and/or other info. If yes, what info

• Yes

Votes: 32 41.6%
  • No

Votes: 45 58.4%

Training log

6K views 28 replies 22 participants last post by  TCFarmer 
#1 ·
Do you keep a daily log of each dogs performance and/or other information involving client info or test dates?

#3 ·
Keep info coming. I'm thinking of making an app that would handle and organize all this info. Trying to decide if people would use this and also trying to decide what all to put in it.

#4 ·
Just started keeping a journal on my herd about 2 months ago. I make note of what training we did and how the dog was progressing, Location, also make note if weather is out of ordinary. And anything else I feel pertinent.

#5 · (Edited)
I started keeping daily training notes early on. Many years ago I was a chess coach and a quote by a Grandmaster chess player/author became my journal's supporting rationale.

Journal Entry:
Learning how to train dogs is a long-term process. What you know and can apply at any one time is critical to the advancement of your dogs. Dog training is somewhat like chess. "It depends a great deal on how much you know. But, what you know is really everything you've learned, minus all you've forgotten.........and the forgetting process is powerful". by Rolf Wetzell

Therefore, it would seem a daily record enhances
"remembering" and is a wise course of action. It provides a reference with context. This "paper trail" will provide quick recollection and inhibit the "forgetting process". You will know more because you have planned to forget less.

#6 ·
I started keeping one this year after taking on client dogs full time. I record all correction instances, handles, sketches of test setups (marking, blinds, etc) and any comments I want to record on performance.

#7 ·
I voted Yes, although I wouldn't say I keep a DAILY log, I do write down a lot of stuff. Some of my writings are training notes, plans, and what happened during training. Others are blogs or email posts. I also make test results sheets prior to every show to record set-ups, results, etc. I'm trying to get better about writing training plans for the day before I start training. It helps me stick to the program and not veer into something I'm not prepared for.

I keep most eveything in a loose-leaf notebook. At the end of the year, I transfer the year's writings to a folder (one of those kind that lets you bind together a big stack of paper). Always fun to pick up a prior folder and read about where I was.

#8 ·
I didn't vote. I've kept logs in past years but am not currently keeping one. I should be, going back to them helps a lot. By not keeping records on what they're doing I'm sure I'm missing some minor things that could grow into more major issues.

If you are planning on making something I could keep on my computer, then I'd like the ability of a putting a picture of the test on it with easy access to a way of editing the pic to put lines on it to show what each dog did. Probably a way to keep it as a thumbnail on the page of the log to be clicked on and brought up to full size.

I used to take digital pix of each test, edit the pic with what the dog's did and store it in an excel based report. Waaaay cumbersome.

#10 ·
Howard the plan is to make a way to import a photo of the setup and allow editing of the photo with the line that that dog took. Also import a google image and edit that with placing marks and blinds as well as lines to bird. I have lots of things planned so we will see how it works out. I'm would like it to work as a iPad or iPhone app as well as a computer version.

#11 ·
I haven't kept daily notes, but I do keep a portfolio with all of my dogs vet checks/immunizations, pedigrees, AKC/UKC registrations, pass receipts, etc. They are handy for out of state hunting trips and just keeping info together.

I noticed that Dennis Voigt keeps notes in his video Training Retrievers Alone. It's a good idea.

#12 ·
I've kept training journals on all of my dogs for years, both in hard copy and online. I've found as I get older, and have to take more potent drugs, that I forget details and being able to go back and see what I did in such and such situation, and whether it worked, helps a lot.

#13 ·
I keep a training log for both dogs. My log is broken down into drills, marks,blinds, distances,equipment used, like ducks,guns, etc. It is a weekly log which is basically has checkoff boxes so you can glance at it and see what you did for the week.You can also glance and see what you have'nt done. You would put down plus or minus depending on how your dog did. On the bottem is a place to show what you need to work on. I like drawing setups,but I wanted something easy to glance at and see what I did over a month's time. It is easily checked off when done training.

#14 ·
boyetthunter here's a link to a training/hunting journal that uses a WEB program. Photos are edited "off line" and stored on line. All data is kept in one place and accessed easily. Once a routine is established it is not that difficult to update everyday.

You are probably looking for ways to streamline the process. There is a learning curve but once "there" the daily entries become much easier. This "journal" can take me back to practically any day in the last eleven years.

The Journal (link)

#17 ·
I would keep a training log but it would be too depressing seeing all of the lack of improvement.

Lonnie Spann

#18 · (Edited)
I have three kinds of logs. One is a general log (composition book) that gets frequent but not daily entries. I keep a second detailed log (loose leaf in a file folder) when I force fetch a dog that can get 2 or 3 entries a day with comments on what was done with FF and maybe issues. A third log I keep (photocopied format in a binder) is one on behavior modification I do with the dog, specific obedience issues or behavioral issues. It really is a lesson plan with objectives, strategies, and evaluation of the lesson.

This may look like overkill but I find it to be very helpful. When I FF'd my current golden I found that I referred to the logs I had on two other goldens that I had FF'd years back.

I am obviously an amateur otherwise I wouldn't have all this time to keep logs. I am also technologically challenged---everything written on paper.

I didn't vote because it seems that you want input from pros.

#20 ·
Even though it takes time to keep one you may save time in the long run. I hate to do something that may perpetuate an unwanted behavior so I really appreciate the records I have. Also there may be something that I skimmed over that I can find in the records.

As for pros---I have no experience dealing with them but I am a parent and I know what I would want in records when I speak to one of the teacher's at school. In fact if I had a list of pros that I wanted to use I think that I would prefer the ones who would keep a log on my dog.

#21 ·
I would like info from everyone, not just pros

#24 ·
I "voted" YES - but am very inconsistent about it, I actually keep a better log in the summer when I train more and have less time for logs then during the winter months when I train sporadically. Probably because the winter training is just real basic stuff.

One other thing I do is keep a log of the Hunt Test set ups/Quals that I run and any concepts that the dog(s) have an issue with, especially if it knocks us out. I hate training "after the test", but I need to remember what the hole in the program is and train for it for the "next time.

#25 ·
I keep a log but sometimes will skip a few days if nothing significant happens. I for sure note each milestone in the training process. Sketches I don't do very well.

#27 ·
When I was obedience training a pair of German shepherds for a friend I kept very detailed logs on my laptop. I used a Windows Office program called OneNote that I love very much. I wrote down what happened after every training session and looked over it just before the next one. 15 min after to write and reflect, 5 minutes before to refresh.

Now that I'm just working with my own dog I don't do as much. I am doing a lot more planning of what I'm going to work on before hand. Makes the training flow much smoother.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.