The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: Do you keep a daily log of each dogs performance and/or other info. If yes, what info

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 41.56%
  • No

45 58.44%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Training log

I haven't kept daily notes, but I do keep a portfolio with all of my dogs vet checks/immunizations, pedigrees, AKC/UKC registrations, pass receipts, etc. They are handy for out of state hunting trips and just keeping info together.

I noticed that Dennis Voigt keeps notes in his video Training Retrievers Alone. It's a good idea.
    Jeff Brezee

MHR HR Brezee Oak's Brother Bear SH
    Brezee Oak's Keep to the Code JH "Jasmine"

Banned

I've kept training journals on all of my dogs for years, both in hard copy and online. I've found as I get older, and have to take more potent drugs, that I forget details and being able to go back and see what I did in such and such situation, and whether it worked, helps a lot.

I keep a training log for both dogs. My log is broken down into drills, marks,blinds, distances,equipment used, like ducks,guns, etc. It is a weekly log which is basically has checkoff boxes so you can glance at it and see what you did for the week.You can also glance and see what you have'nt done. You would put down plus or minus depending on how your dog did. On the bottem is a place to show what you need to work on. I like drawing setups,but I wanted something easy to glance at and see what I did over a month's time. It is easily checked off when done training.
    HRCH UH C & L 's Madison Grace MH....500 Points (blinddogmaddie)

HR UH Smokin' Hot Mac-Kenzie.....WINNER of the 2013 Milwaukee Sports Show Fastest Retriever Contest (40 dogs entered)

Len Gums

boyetthunter here's a link to a training/hunting journal that uses a WEB program. Photos are edited "off line" and stored on line. All data is kept in one place and accessed easily. Once a routine is established it is not that difficult to update everyday.

You are probably looking for ways to streamline the process. There is a learning curve but once "there" the daily entries become much easier. This "journal" can take me back to practically any day in the last eleven years.

The Journal (link)
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by KwickLabs View Post
    I started keeping daily training notes early on. Many years ago I was a chess coach and a quote by a Grandmaster chess player/author became my journal's supporting rationale.

Journal Entry:
    Learning how to train dogs is a long-term process. What you know and can apply at any one time is critical to the advancement of your dogs. Dog training is somewhat like chess. "It depends a great deal on how much you know. But, what you know is really everything you've learned, minus all you've forgotten.........and the forgetting process is powerful". by Rolf Wetzell

Therefore, it would seem a daily record enhances
    "remembering" and is a wise course of action. It provides a reference with context. This "paper trail" will provide quick recollection and inhibit the "forgetting process". You will know more because you have planned to forget less.
    Then you will know what you "knew".

PS. Enjoying the Errol Morris series of articles...
    Last edited by huntinman; 03-13-2013 at 09:20 PM.
    Bill Davis

No, but I should.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

I would keep a training log but it would be too depressing seeing all of the lack of improvement.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

I have three kinds of logs. One is a general log (composition book) that gets frequent but not daily entries. I keep a second detailed log (loose leaf in a file folder) when I force fetch a dog that can get 2 or 3 entries a day with comments on what was done with FF and maybe issues. A third log I keep (photocopied format in a binder) is one on behavior modification I do with the dog, specific obedience issues or behavioral issues. It really is a lesson plan with objectives, strategies, and evaluation of the lesson.

This may look like overkill but I find it to be very helpful. When I FF'd my current golden I found that I referred to the logs I had on two other goldens that I had FF'd years back.

I am obviously an amateur otherwise I wouldn't have all this time to keep logs. I am also technologically challenged---everything written on paper.

I didn't vote because it seems that you want input from pros.
    Last edited by gdgnyc; 03-14-2013 at 12:05 AM.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

I wish I could make time to keep a log. No doubt it would be helpful.
    Mark Land

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    I wish I could make time to keep a log. No doubt it would be helpful.
    Even though it takes time to keep one you may save time in the long run. I hate to do something that may perpetuate an unwanted behavior so I really appreciate the records I have. Also there may be something that I skimmed over that I can find in the records.

As for pros---I have no experience dealing with them but I am a parent and I know what I would want in records when I speak to one of the teacher's at school. In fact if I had a list of pros that I wanted to use I think that I would prefer the ones who would keep a log on my dog.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."