The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Am I a bad dad?

Default Am I a bad dad?

In preparation for my new lab puppy, I have spent hours and hours over the last few weeks reading this and other forums on dog food trying to decide which feed to use for my new dog. I have read every post on this site about it, I have been to more websites of dog food manufacturers than I can count reading up about their products and have visited most feed stores in the area looking at what they have on hand and calculating cost per pound. Then, last night as I was doing more research, it struck me! When my kids were born, I gave no thought at all about what to feed them. Whatever formula was cheapest, or whatever someone gave us was what they got. When baby food was on sale, we stocked up on it. No research, no reading ingredient labels, nothing! Does that make me a bad dad because I am obsessing over the food for my dogs, but gave no consideration to the food for my kids? Now before you start piling on, I will bet many of you are the same way! You spend hours thinking about your dogs and what they eat, and virtually no time thinking about what you or your kids eat! Maybe that's because we know our dogs will never talk back to us or burn up all the gas in our truck and bring it home on empty!

Food for human baby's are a lot more regulated with a lot stricter quality control then puppy food is. So I think you need to do a lot more research when looking for food for your pup so no your not a bad dad.
    HRCH Dallys Wild Willow SH Born 11-06-97 Left Us 1-30-12 will always be in my thoughts RIP Willow

i did not wake up for any of my 4 kids not to change them feed them or if they were sick, but let my dogs whine a little and i'm up checking them out. i got sick when they had dirty diapers but can clean up dog crap. on the other hand none of my kids ever did a 150 yard blind retrieve in dec.

If you are a bad dad I must be a bad mom. I once told my daughters that if I knew about labs before I had them, they might not be here. I was only joking but it did not go over very well with them. As far as the dog food, I have never had any problems with pro plan puppy.

Told my mid to late 20 yr old kids that had I known about labs 20+ yrs ago they (my kids) may have only been a gleam in my eye for the future.... How do you think that went over? They love the labs I've had over their lives and think I'm a pretty fair dad to boot! Sometimes things work out for man and beast. Good luck and enjoy every minute w/out regret...it will pass far too quickly and they will be adults before you can turn around!
    Last edited by mnadams; 03-13-2013 at 01:58 PM.
    Labs are the greatest; truly man's best friend!
    Home of HRCH Gator Points Chocolate Chip II
    HRCH KC's Bustin From the Blind

amos moses,

are you the same "amos moses" who could "eat up his weight in grossrees"? (jerry reed tune?)

if so you will understand when i say that i spend considerable time thinking about what i am going to eat. by default i am also thinking about what my wife and kids are going to eat. the thoughts of my next three meals are constant companions.

what my dogs eat is also important. i am happy with a dog food as long as my dogs like it, the dogs look good and if i step on one of their turds i sprain my ankle!
    john mccallie

I thought the only reason you had kids was so you had someone to throw ducks for your dogs although it would be cheaper just to hire someone
    HRCH Dallys Wild Willow SH Born 11-06-97 Left Us 1-30-12 will always be in my thoughts RIP Willow

My teenage son once scolded me with, "You love your dog more than me!"

I calmly reassured him with, "that's ridiculous , I love you both the same".
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River