The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Eic

  1. #1
    Senior Member HiRollerlabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com
    Posts
    1,981

    Default Eic

    Interesting thing about the dogs that finished the NW MO Amateur. There were 2 EIC affected (one is ours), & at least 3 EIC carriers (one is ours). 7 dogs finished.
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

    "There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable


    "Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

    "I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

    I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

  2. #2
    Senior Member duk4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    NE Texas
    Posts
    2,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HiRollerlabs View Post
    Interesting thing about the dogs that finished the NW MO Amateur. There were 2 EIC affected (one is ours), & at least 3 EIC carriers (one is ours). 7 dogs finished.
    Congratulations. IMO breed to clear no problem.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

  3. #3
    Senior Member Rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NW WI
    Posts
    3,533

    Default

    Good topic, Ann. I'm glad there are still people not overlooking carriers/affecteds, we can't lose all the good genes just to get rid of one bad one that can so easily be bred around with a cheap, simple test. Congrats again on Regi's AFC, btw.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

  4. #4
    Senior Member Matt McKenzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    1,521

    Default

    Is there a possibility that there is a link between the genes that cause EIC and performance? Sure seems like many of the all-time greats were EIC carriers. Maybe coincidence, maybe not.

    It reminds me of HYPP in quarter horses and other stock breeds. Some folks referred to it as "the pretty gene" and actually bred for carriers as halter prospects (maybe they still do, I've been out of that scene for some time).
    Matt McKenzie

    It takes as long as it takes. Sometimes longer.

    "It is better to own a $50,000 dog and have an old truck and crummy equipment than to own $50,000 worth of new equipment and a crummy dog..." EdA

  5. #5
    Senior Member Marissa E.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt McKenzie View Post
    Is there a possibility that there is a link between the genes that cause EIC and performance? Sure seems like many of the all-time greats were EIC carriers. Maybe coincidence, maybe not.

    It reminds me of HYPP in quarter horses and other stock breeds. Some folks referred to it as "the pretty gene" and actually bred for carriers as halter prospects (maybe they still do, I've been out of that scene for some time).
    Big difference between the two is Hypp N/H horses also have attacks. They are not just carriers.

    Marissa Everett

    Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Donna Kerr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    253

    Default

    Congratulations!

    I’m glad you posted this up and hopefully it will help clear things up as Rainmaker said.

    Most EIC affected dogs are from field trial breeding. Most are prime athletic specimens with a ton of drive and very excitable. They are what most of us are looking for. You also have to remember that there are different levels of “affected”. Some dogs collapse while just chasing a ball where others have only collapse while chasing pheasants’ and still others never collapse at all. Death from EIC is extremely rare and don’t believe everything you read and see on the internet. U of M doesn’t recommend shunning carriers or even affected from breeding programs. On the contrary, they recommend against that as we could lose many of the outstanding traits we desire in the breed. http://www.cvm.umn.edu/vbs/faculty/M...ding/home.html
    If you have an important point to make, don't try to be subtle or clever. Use a pile driver.

    Flyin High in the Passenger Side CD RN CGC - "Scrub"

    K&D's Sweet Romancer RN CGC - "Eddie" - newest member of the family.

    High Flying Storm Trooper - Trooper (02/25/03 - 07/26/09) - He gave us his all - We miss you big guy...run and play...

  7. #7
    Senior Member frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Tuttle, OK
    Posts
    1,843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donna Kerr View Post
    Congratulations!

    I’m glad you posted this up and hopefully it will help clear things up as Rainmaker said.

    Most EIC affected dogs are from field trial breeding. Most are prime athletic specimens with a ton of drive and very excitable. They are what most of us are looking for. You also have to remember that there are different levels of “affected”. Some dogs collapse while just chasing a ball where others have only collapse while chasing pheasants’ and still others never collapse at all. Death from EIC is extremely rare and don’t believe everything you read and see on the internet. U of M doesn’t recommend shunning carriers or even affected from breeding programs. On the contrary, they recommend against that as we could lose many of the outstanding traits we desire in the breed. http://www.cvm.umn.edu/vbs/faculty/M...ding/home.html
    And per with the FAQ page on the U of MN website

    "Is EIC only a problem in Labrador Retrievers from field trial lines?
    No. We have identified the EIC gene at a high carrier rate (> 30%) in all Labrador lines tested: field trial, hunt test, conformation, pet and service."
    Last edited by frontier; 03-14-2013 at 01:59 PM.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

    In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

  8. #8
    Senior Member Matt McKenzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    1,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mleone View Post
    Big difference between the two is Hypp N/H horses also have attacks. They are not just carriers.
    That is true, but not sure what that has to do with my point. Perhaps I should use a different example. Like the link between defined spots and stoning disease in Dalmatians. Or the link between coat color and some cancers in mice and Golden Retrievers. Sometimes genes work in ways we just don't fully understand.
    Matt McKenzie

    It takes as long as it takes. Sometimes longer.

    "It is better to own a $50,000 dog and have an old truck and crummy equipment than to own $50,000 worth of new equipment and a crummy dog..." EdA

  9. #9

    Default

    Actually as I have been researching pedigrees, I have found many EIC affected and carrier conformation dogs, so it is a bit broad to state that it is mostly in field bloodlines. Perhaps the conformation dogs don't have an opportunity to find their trigger because they may not get field work or other activities that would trigger an episode.

    Meredith

  10. #10
    Senior Member Marissa E.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt McKenzie View Post
    That is true, but not sure what that has to do with my point. Perhaps I should use a different example. Like the link between defined spots and stoning disease in Dalmatians. Or the link between coat color and some cancers in mice and Golden Retrievers. Sometimes genes work in ways we just don't fully understand.
    I just didn't want anyone to get confused and think a N/H horse was safe to own or an EIC carrier could have an attack. Becuase neither is true. i own an EIC carrier but you couldnt pay me to even get 5 feet from a HYPP HORSE.

    Sorry didn't mean to take away from your point... Which was spot on....

    Marissa Everett

    Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •