The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Training alone question

I can understand this. I have to hesitate sometimes and think what dog I'm running. Sometimes the hesitation is a good thing when casting to fast as alot of us do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    That way he didn't have to remember which dog he was running. Rizzo and I would tease him about it. He'd just grin.

Kwick

Thanks for taking the time to explain the rational of your method of more water, and decheating.

Many times, People will say you can use "X" method to teach this, that, or the other thing, but they dont say,,, or like with your example ,,,show you how..

The more I read your posts, and see your explainations of how and why you do it, makes me wonder why you dont publish some of this stuff.

Thanks Again

Gooser
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 03-15-2013 at 08:09 AM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Kwick

One other thing I was going to ask, but forgot,
    When you send dog back to "Place" do you hold that same standard on the for the "line", thus isnt he dog getting the casts as though the handeler was at the line?

This makes perfect sense to me. First you teach or show the dog what you want (more water) then you basically repete the concept on the return, handeling from the conventional position..

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    That way he didn't have to remember which dog he was running. Rizzo and I would tease him about it. He'd just grin.
    Remember the time Gordon Powers was running the two dogs he inherited from Mike Von Walters in the Derby? He kept trying to send one but was calling it by the wrong name... The dog kept flinching, but would not go. Gordy would send and the dog would flinch, Gordy would send and the dog would flinch. Gordy did this three or four times... The gallery was very close on the hillside there... Finally Gordy scratched his head... Thought about it...sent the dog with the other call name and the dog took off! The judges, gallery, marshal...everyone was rolling around laughing! That was at least twenty years ago... And Gordon is still running dogs! More power to him!
    Bill Davis