The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Training alone question

I believe that Len Ferucci did that with Ripple. When he was on the road campaigning her for her derby title, he would run technical singles for her and send her back to the line. I think she turned out ok!!
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Lebanon, OH

I don't usually do just send backs but rather rove around the field and throw from different spots. Your dog has to be able to line. If not you don't want to start to handle and there is nothing there for him to p/u. I think some dogs may stop before they hit the bucket, bag or marker. I have no other choice but to train this way so I like to wander around and throw from different areas of the field. You would then avoid the issue you are concerned about.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

I hear what your saying Gooser.I was thinking the same thing.....no bird as a reward......yet. If it bothers you, you could still put a black or white bucket (or some type of marker) as his/her starting point and teach him/her to go to the bucket with a command like "place/get up there/whatever". I haven't tried this myself, I just move to a new location with him staying put. I have to get a little exercise in.
    Jeff Brezee

HR MHR Brezee Oak's Brother Bear MH "Bear"
    HR Brezee Oak's Keep to the Code SH "Jasmine"

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    The only negative I see to stand alone's ( used to do ALOT of them) is the dog takes his eye off of the mark when it hits the ground and looks to YOU the gunner befor he/she is sent. I have a 21/2 year old that loves to run at the gun rather than the bird, and if you wait him out long enough he will eventaily look back at the bird, if you wait him out long enough but will always run to where his eyes are pointing. Did this come from doing alot of stand alone's as a young dog?? I don't know but I do know running at the gun is a recipie for alot of green ribbons in the future....
    I have not experienced this problem. He may watch me for the signal to go but he runs for the mark!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    The only negative I see to stand alone's ( used to do ALOT of them) is the dog takes his eye off of the mark when it hits the ground and looks to YOU the gunner befor he/she is sent. I have a 21/2 year old that loves to run at the gun rather than the bird, and if you wait him out long enough he will eventaily look back at the bird, if you wait him out long enough but will always run to where his eyes are pointing. Did this come from doing alot of stand alone's as a young dog?? I don't know but I do know running at the gun is a recipie for alot of green ribbons in the future....
    Maybe this is why Dennis Voigt gives a "minnie cast" towards the bumper at the same time he releases the dog?
    Jeff Brezee

HR MHR Brezee Oak's Brother Bear MH "Bear"
    HR Brezee Oak's Keep to the Code SH "Jasmine"

I love doing place board marks with my guys. I phase out the PB and just use a white flag. I use the command "place" or "back" interchangebly. The reward is getting to the pole and getting a mark. It is a great way to get in marks when training by yourself.
    Carol

CH HRCH Rippling Waters Lagundo Sula MH - Sula
    GRHRCH Rippling Waters Talladega MH 500 Point Club - Tally
    HRCH Rippling Waters Capt. Marvel - Shazam
    HRCH UH Ambertrail's Bring The House MH 1,000 Point Club - Blitz
    GRHRCH UH Rippling Waters Daytona MH 500 Point Club - Day
    HRCH Rippling Waters Fire In The Hole MH

Hang a 2-way radio on the pole.
    Then you can send her on her name, without having to shout across the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    I use, "Back." I leaned this training technique from Len Ferucci. He used, "Back."
    Yes, but Len sent his dogs for everything...marks, blinds, whatever... On "back". Unless my memory is failing me?
    Bill Davis

Here is a stand alone double built the same as normal doubles. I use a chair so the dogs can find where they are going. Then you just build of of the basic stuff.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ySK6K7DbQ0
    Pete
    Last edited by Pete; 03-13-2013 at 10:52 PM.
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

I put a place board at the line, with a white bucket on a stake so it's really obvious, then use a "go place" command to send them back there, rather than "back"
    Liz Macpherson
    Rowantide Tollers
    www.rowantide.com

CH Kare's Ocean Tide CDX WC JH (1999-2009-RIP)
    HRCH UH CH Rowantide's Taylor Maid CDX SH, CDN/US WCX (2 MH passes!)
    HR CH Rowantide's Quikkr Pikkr Uppr CD JH, CDN/US WCX
    HR CH Rowantide's Remember Me CD WCX
    UH HRCH CH Rowantide's Celtic Cap WCX
    CH Rowantide's Quack Addict WC
    Rowantide's 1 More 4 the Road
    UH Trinity Just'Nuther Redhead

Anyone can train a Lab......
    maybe even a Toller person....