The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Training alone question

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Here is another dog George, This one has always had difficulty going back to the mat the preferred way. Sometimes he goes straight back but Most of the time he is wobbly. I don't care really. They were 9 and a half months when filmed, (oopps monty was 10 months exactly when filmed) he will always be a little this way though on the return. He is a different dog with the handler by his side. He also wanted the long bird really bad which made him break down on his way back from the go bird.

Willie they stuck gigantic needles in my knee,,so hopefully my profile will soon resemble Brad Pitt or George Clooney's Ha Ha.

Pete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3f7EBKNT70

I just watched the video. Thanks again Pete. I think I will start on stand alones today!
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

I won't even pretend that I understand why but stand alones & send backs actually seem to stop my dogs from running to the gun. Also is more efficient than wingers. Time is always an issue.
    Gunners naturally suck a dog into them. Every dog I ever did stand alones with were deadly markers with me as the gunner yet many couldn't find a pork chop in a phone booth with a different gunner and me as the handler (mmmm) You still need gunners out in the field with a handler next to the dog. They are 2 separate contexts to the dog,,, stand alones weather single double or triple does give the dog a good head start though and is a great filler when no training group is available for weeks on end. Also you can stretch a dog out pretty far and fast doing stand alones but it normally doesn't directly transfer or so so fast with a gun and handler at the same distance ,,, although this to is a great intro to long guns.
    Pete
    Last edited by Pete; 03-14-2013 at 07:55 AM.
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

With my previous lab, I did a lot of these, but I would return to the line/dog to send and accept the retrieved dummy/bird.
    Labrador Retriever, a 20g & grouse...is there a better combination?

[QUOTE=MooseGooser;1081982]I have not noticed Flinch running at me (gunner) in fact, I find her running very wide of the marks , especially if they are thrown with the wind ( crossing wind), but usually runs wide of the marks, and not at me. Maybe I should quit the flat long ( for my arm) throws, and make them more angle back?
    Gooser.

QUOTE] She is fading with the wind. You need to throw more marks into the wind. Also would suggest sitting up a gun station as the short mark so the dog will look long past the short station. When young dogs run a lot of singles like this they tend to not want to look long past the short gun.
    Cold Creek Gundogs
    The more I'm on the internet the more I love my dogs.

Gunners naturally suck a dog into them. Every dog I ever did stand alones with were deadly markers with me as the gunner yet many couldn't find a pork chop in a phone booth with a different gunner and me as the handler (mmmm) You still need gunners out in the field with a handler next to the dog. They are 2 separate contexts to the dog,,, stand alones weather single double or triple does give the dog a good head start though and is a great filler when no training group is available for weeks on end. Also you can stretch a dog out pretty far and fast doing stand alones but it normally doesn't directly transfer or so so fast with a gun and handler at the same distance ,,, although this to is a great intro to long guns.
    Pete

YES!!! I dont throw these stand alones everyday. I mix the week up with those, and remote controlled winger birds also. I have to work on MY issues at the line with her too.. Way to many of those isues i dare to say.
    I believe the dog needs to understand that there is a "Boss" at the line with them.
    Do you folks think that running stand alones all the time, MIGHT encourage "self Employment"
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

[QUOTE=Golden Boy;1082066]
    Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    I have not noticed Flinch running at me (gunner) in fact, I find her running very wide of the marks , especially if they are thrown with the wind ( crossing wind), but usually runs wide of the marks, and not at me. Maybe I should quit the flat long ( for my arm) throws, and make them more angle back?
    Gooser.

QUOTE] She is fading with the wind. You need to throw more marks into the wind. Also would suggest sitting up a gun station as the short mark so the dog will look long past the short station. When young dogs run a lot of singles like this they tend to not want to look long past the short gun.

YES!!! This is something that crops up when I go to Cherylons on the weekends, and she has me run a setup as a double.
    Her setups are really tight,, at least tight compared to what I am use to, so, the "double", may have a shorter go bird. She DOES have trouble looking past that to the long memory bird
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Pete
    Thank you and I agree that gunners in the field is the best option. A live birdboy can help the dog, hey hey if needed or rethrow. I try to train with a group when possible. That is usually once every 2 to 3 weeks. Some of the groups prefer wingers and bumper boys to live throwers. Not ideal but sometimes the best I can do.

My training alone sessions involve wingers, stand alones or my 10 year old. My boys throws are less than desirable but I think the best option. However his throws always fall close to the gun due to arm strength. Option B is wingers (I own 3). Due to intelligence, laziness or obstinance one of my dogs runs to the winger and then turns left or right to the bird. Handling to correct the issue caused a popping problem so the wingers have mostly been in storage. Option C is stand alones or a mixture of stand alones and wingers.

Given my limitations would walking back to the line and sending be a better option? I often do this when doing doubles and throw the second mark from a winger with dog by my side. I also use stickmen marking drills with sendbacks frequently. Would walking or riding back and sending the dog be preferable?
    Mark Land

Here is a stand alone mark we did this am. It was 26F and a stiff west wind. There is a ditch between the two different field covers. This video is no means the quality of Pete's. And no one would be crazy enough to come and video for me when so cold! Just gives you an idea of what you can do by yourself.

http://s1197.beta.photobucket.com/us...2cfac.mp4.html
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    YES!!! I dont throw these stand alones everyday. I mix the week up with those, and remote controlled winger birds also. I have to work on MY issues at the line with her too.. Way to many of those isues i dare to say.
    I believe the dog needs to understand that there is a "Boss" at the line with them.
    Do you folks think that running stand alones all the time, MIGHT encourage "self Employment"
    Gooser I do have to watch Tar if he creeps forwards. The game stops and I correct by getting the bird and walking in and correcting the sit. So yes but I keep my standards high.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

I have seen the stand alones before, but never tried them yet. I like the idea of using a PB as a target to send the dog back to the line and will probably start teaching that soon. By picking the right spot for the PB it would be easy to work on different concepts in one session (uphill marks, downhill marks, side hill, with the wind, etc) by just moving a little yourself. Could the PB also be used to help teach the overs on the exit of a swim by or is that not a good idea?