The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Training alone question

Quote Originally Posted by JimB View Post
    I have seen the stand alones before, but never tried them yet. I like the idea of using a PB as a target to send the dog back to the line and will probably start teaching that soon. By picking the right spot for the PB it would be easy to work on different concepts in one session (uphill marks, downhill marks, side hill, with the wind, etc) by just moving a little yourself. Could the PB also be used to help teach the overs on the exit of a swim by or is that not a good idea?
    Check the Dobbs traing site.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

Ok anyone do any more advanced things like cheater marks with stand alones? Is it possible to handle from the gunner station in a stand alone situation if they start to cheat or will that not work. Wondering cuz I do train a lone a lot and use stand alones but never on the water. For example what if the line is to clip a corner of water and they try to cheat around. Can you correct with a handle from the gunner station. I thought of this because in Fowl Dawgs 4 rick uses the procedure of calling a dog to him to teach a complicated line for a blind and uses some handling like a swim by cast while doing this.

Do you folks think that running stand alones all the time, MIGHT encourage "self Employment"
    He certainly won't be learning to work with you at the line.

I do lots of stand alones. Still, I limit the big ones or cheaty ones or real marking marks, to only 2 or 3 days a week. I also like to work on multiple blinds after I've done some stand alones (sometimes, I can plant them while we're doing stand alones). We get in a session of working together on the line that way. I think it keeps the dog aware that working with me is also his job.

So for a little dog it could be a session of stand alones followed by a wagon wheel.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

In June of 2011, this training setup was to try a water cheating drill with Daisy. I had a rough idea of how to run the session, but as it progressed there were adjustments.

The first was to make sure she was lined up in the direction of the fall. I had to walk forward to "influence" that.

I was a bit slow on realizing the next modification. After four returns to me which could very easily be seen as "cheating the return line", it dawned on me that I was missing half the skill....don't cheat on the way back. So I quickly began returning to the line to correct this presentation error.

Daisy's Water Cheating Session (YouTube link)

After one trial run with an already decheated dog, this review/maintence drill will be effective for my experienced dogs. This is not a teaching drill. I do not think it will be appropriate for the inexperienced dog.

On the last "go" she did not respond to her name well. At the time it didn't make any sense. However, there is a road right behind her and the loud car noise on the video explained why.

Video taping does make you think more about what you are doing in the moment. However, when you are older the moments are often in slow motion.
    Last edited by KwickLabs; 03-14-2013 at 06:39 PM.
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH

Quote Originally Posted by KwickLabs View Post
    In June of 2011, this training setup was to try a water cheating drill with Daisy. I had a rough idea of how to run the session, but as it progressed there were adjustments.

The first was to make sure she was lined up in the direction of the fall. I had to walk forward to "influence" that.

I was a bit slow on realizing the next modification. After four returns to me which could very easily be seen as "cheating the return line", it dawned on me that I was missing half the skill....don't cheat on the way back. So I quickly began returning to the line to correct this presentation error.

Daisy's Water Cheating Session (YouTube link)

After one trial run with an already decheated dog, this review/maintence drill will be effective for my experienced dogs. This is not a teaching drill. I do not think it will be appropriate for the inexperienced dog.

On the last "go" she did not respond to her name well. At the time it didn't make any sense. However, there is a road right behind her and the loud car noise on the video explained why.

Video taping does make you think more about what you are doing in the moment. However, when you are older the moments are often in slow motion.
    Good video Jim. Nice corrections on your part getting her to come back straight and getting into the water rather than run the land which I think is important. Thanks for sharing.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    Pink Lady

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Ok anyone do any more advanced things like cheater marks with stand alones? Is it possible to handle from the gunner station in a stand alone situation if they start to cheat or will that not work. Wondering cuz I do train a lone a lot and use stand alones but never on the water. For example what if the line is to clip a corner of water and they try to cheat around. Can you correct with a handle from the gunner station. I thought of this because in Fowl Dawgs 4 rick uses the procedure of calling a dog to him to teach a complicated line for a blind and uses some handling like a swim by cast while doing this.
    Yes its a great advantage especially for down the shore marks . You can teach without breaking momentum. But eventually you still need a gunner and a dog handler to shore it up and make that behavior stronger,,its important that the handler makes corrections from the line also during the de cheating procedure.

Pete,,
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

I just saw this topic but also saw some different understanding of terms and thus confusion and questions by some. I labeled methods of throwing marks by yourself many years ago in Retrievers ONLINE and then later in my Training Retrievers Alone DVD and book. I am pleased so manyhave learned their advantages. The techniques have been used for many years but the labeling continues to cause confusion. The dogs don't care about the labels but they do care about the confusion.Here is a brief description of my original labeling: Stand Alones: You walk out in the field-leaving your dog at the line. You throw a mark. You release the dog and he comes out to the mark and gets and delivers to you. If just doing Stand Alones, you would then leave the dog there and move to another spot and do another mark. Most people think this is too simplistic so they complicate with sending the dog back or walk back after throwing so they can send their dog. WRONG! A simple Stand Alone is very valuable. You can teach the dog about check-downs, retireds, flyers, long-distance entries, long distance retrieves, changes of cover, multiple re-entries and stay in the water past the gunner plus much more.A bonus is it teaches a dog to run at the bird not the gunner!! THIS IS HUGE!.My bread and butter is simple Stand Alones!!!NOTE: Complicated water/cover cheating marks should not be done with simple Stand Alones because you cannot clearly and effectively handle from the gunners position. However square entries with re-entries and down the shore marks can be very effectively taught with Stand Alones. If you want to handle enroute for cheats see Walk Backs below.NOW if you throw a mark and after the dog delivers you send him back to the line, that is a SEND BACK. Only the first retrieve is a StandAlone. Everybody seems to likes to do this. It’s advantage is the dog goes for all retrieves from the same line. Frankly, I find this of limited value and I get more out of well-designed Stand Alones where I move to a new spot each time without sending the dog back. Perhaps this is because I use remotes or group training for more complex set-ups NOTE:I applaud the videos by Pete and Jim where they have taught their dogs to return to an exact “place” on command. In 40 years I have not pursued this to their degree although I do not belittle it whatsoever. I just have had other priorities. I send them back to the general target area when I want to do interaction marks.Finally we have Walk Back marks. I go out and throw 2-4marks and return to the line and send the dog . This gives me and my dog the work on sending from the line.Without stick men, we have multiple retired guns and thus this is challenging.I would much prefer to reserve this for remote controlled devices or grouptraining sessions. However, I do have some useful set-ups that I employ WalkBacks.Bread and Butter? Simple Stand Alones.Comment on Pete’s video: Well done and great teaching ofreturn to place by young dog. First mark is a simple Stand Alone. Then hedoes a Send back. Then he does something I have never and will not do. He repeat throws a bird to mark one, moves and throws another. His dog gets last and thenhe does a Send Back and then he casts to memory mark. The cast is an over but thecorrect cast is NOT an over. He is handling a dog on a memory mark from aremote position (this is now like a marked “blind” in many ways). The dog doesnot take the cast given but instead returns to an old mark. I think this is greatfor memory but is fraught with problems for inadvertently teaching the dog the wrong thing. In essence the dog does not take the cast (because the handler lied to the dog) and the dog return to an old fall and gets rewarded.I don’t want to get into a battle with Pete because I respect his dog work but I wanted to point out how I think the dog gets a very different lesson than might be intended even though the dog “appears” to have done something extra special. I noted that several folks thought this was a neat video and I felt it was worth discussion. Cheers Pete feel free to provide feedback in the interest of progress here.
    Last edited by RetrieversONLINE; 03-14-2013 at 09:10 PM.
    Dennis

I apologize in my last post for all the run on and jammed up text. I tried everything to clean it up to no avail. Finally, I said I hope you can read it was more important than not posting
    Dennis

OH so it was not just me! Enter did not work nor did my edit function
    Quote Originally Posted by RetrieversONLINE View Post
    I apologize in my last post for all the run on and jammed up text. I tried everything to clean it up to no avail. Finally, I said I hope you can read it was more important than not posting
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

I do the same thing and have for a while. I don't send them on back though. I tell them kennel and they run jump on the sport stand. I use it do I know they don't creep. I have one knuckle head that I have to handle fairly often but it hasn't had any impact on his blinds.
    Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    My concern is sending on "back",, then sometimes handeling her to the pole to sit..

Its like I am running a blind,, but no bird planted... Thats what I am concerned about....

She seems to understand,, cause most times she runs right to the pole sits,,,, turns around and looks at me wanting the throw..

Gooser