The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Friday Starts for Am

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post

2) the club you are now a principle in is putting on a spring trial - Open & Q only, does that solve the Amateur stake issue?

Agree, Grounds & Friday workers are a bigger issue than entries in most Am's
    I think based upon the fact there is only one pro in town, the reason the Tacoma trial is even being put on is "for" the local Am. I think a lot of clubs would have just scrapped the trial if they didn't have all the "regulars" in town. I know that there are people working to make sure this spring trial even exists for an opportunity for an AM to run without traveling 1,500 miles in March.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Perhaps Monday would not be a problem for the few contestants left but for the trial giving club and volunteer help it is all but impossible.
    Absolutely. I don't want to work a trial that goes on an extra day. As it is meeting judges on Thursday adds to the days away from work.

I think the suggestion to consider (bearing in mind Ted's thoughts) is to start the Open, Amateur and a minor stake on Saturday. Typically minor stakes can be finished in one day and if it did then the second minor could start on Sunday. Any stakes still running would continue on Monday. I know most clubs are used to dealing with 3 stakes running at the same time and have difficulty when 4 are going, but that doesn't become an issue in this scenario. This still keeps the trial in the 3 day window, it just potentially reduces the burden on the working Amateur if the trial runs into a typical work week.

At the end of the day its the clubs discretion on when they hold trials.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post

At the end of the day its the clubs discretion on when they hold trials.

With all of the work involved with putting on a trial, I am just thankful when others do so
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

The best trials occur when folks from all over come together and are willing to help out. More people putting in less time rather than less people putting in more time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

With all of the work involved with putting on a trial, I am just thankful when others do so
    No doubt about that.

Not a fan of Friday start for Am. For the reasons already stated. Often, too, they get over in 2 days, anyway.
    Not a fan of starting 4 stakes on Sat, either. It just makes mechanics too difficult. Especially now, as there are several amateurs, running 5-6 dogs, double staked.

But as Kyle said, "At the end of the day its the clubs discretion on when they hold trials."
    And, as Ted said, " There are lots of things to consider and no easy answers."

Next weekend, have a 78 dog Open. That Open will be run by Paul Sletten, Charlie Moody, and Jeff Horsley. All professionals.
    For our club, N. Al, that has been a huge help. Huge.
    Charlotte Kaiser: " The Problem Lies In The Talent."

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    The best trials occur when folks from all over come together and are willing to help out. More people putting in less time rather than less people putting in more time.
    Gotta say - you have a firm grasp on the obvious Hap. Now all you gotta do is round up a whole bunch of people that are willing to give up vacation days to come work their asses off while singing Kumbaya and group hugging.

No dog in this hunt regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Gotta say - you have a firm grasp on the obvious Hap. Now all you gotta do is round up a whole bunch of people that are willing to give up vacation days to come work their asses off while singing Kumbaya and group hugging.

No dog in this hunt regards

Bubba
    So I'll see you the Friday after this one along with everyone else around here?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    I think based upon the fact there is only one pro in town, the reason the Tacoma trial is even being put on is "for" the local Am. I think a lot of clubs would have just scrapped the trial if they didn't have all the "regulars" in town. I know that there are people working to make sure this spring trial even exists for an opportunity for an AM to run without traveling 1,500 miles in March.

I'm having a little difficulty surrounding your reasoning. What does having one pro have to do with not having an Amateur Stake?

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

You can't have a field trial without having an open stake. So I'm thinking that they probably can't put on a 4 stake trial and having half a field trial which beats not having a trial at all.

Could be wrong.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013