The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Friday Starts for Am

We found out at recent trials at Rebel Ridge the last few years on Memorial Day and Labor day weekend trials ran very efficiently starting the Open, AM, DERBY on Saturday. Am starting at10. The open and derby at 8. The bird boy help was available and no amateur participants had to miss days to run the open.The am still had 3 days if needed to complete. The q started Sunday am and could finish on Monday if needed to complete the stake.The last trial on Labor day was 68 in open,51 in am, 28 q, 21 derby. The only stake left on Monday was 9 open dogs left to complete the last series.The dogs in the last series were 1 amateur, 6 by one pro, and 1 pro wih 2.So limited help was needed on Monday and all amateurs not running did not miss work.This year we are starting the am at 8 on Saturday. Open at 10 so the open still has 3 days. Am can get a solid start and could go into Monday if needed to complete the stake. Now very few amateurs will have to miss work on Monday only the happy ones on Monday.We host 4 major trials, 1 double dq, and 1 hunt test dq this year.That's right a full hunt test with a derby and q.As mentioned before trials are alot of work and it seems like the help is shrinking.

That's certainly how I look at it. I've got blistered hands and scratched up arms and it's still a week and a half away.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    That's certainly how I look at it. I've got blistered hands and scratched up arms and it's still a week and a half away.
    What are you doing on the internet when there's still daylight left?

Starting the Amat and the Open on the same day has another problem. Running order.
    We do not expect the running order in Amat to be strictly followed but when you have a large % of crossover entries with dogs being handled by the pro in the open and the owner in the Amat, both with multiple entries, you might as well not have a draw.
    Add to the mechanical problems the fact that many dogs will need to run 2 big multiple bird land series possibly a hot day and you will see lethargic work, dogs being placed in water baths, and judges/ handlers not allowing a dog to hunt.
    The idea is not healthy for the sport or the dogs.

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Plesko View Post
    What are you doing on the internet when there's still daylight left?
    Water was too high to do anything productive yesterday. slight flooding going on. Good it happened this week to get the low snow off the hills and down river.

As a competitor, i don't like Friday starts for Ams. It usually means I don't go. The judges usually seem to work hard to finish in two days anyway. When judging, I usually pick the Am again so I don't have to miss work.

Quote Originally Posted by REBEL RIDGE FARMS View Post
    We found out at recent trials at Rebel Ridge the last few years on Memorial Day and Labor day weekend trials ran very efficiently starting the Open, AM, DERBY on Saturday. Am starting at10. The open and derby at 8. The bird boy help was available and no amateur participants had to miss days to run the open.The am still had 3 days if needed to complete. The q started Sunday am and could finish on Monday if needed to complete the stake.The last trial on Labor day was 68 in open,51 in am, 28 q, 21 derby. The only stake left on Monday was 9 open dogs left to complete the last series.The dogs in the last series were 1 amateur, 6 by one pro, and 1 pro wih 2.So limited help was needed on Monday and all amateurs not running did not miss work.This year we are starting the am at 8 on Saturday. Open at 10 so the open still has 3 days. Am can get a solid start and could go into Monday if needed to complete the stake. Now very few amateurs will have to miss work on Monday only the happy ones on Monday.We host 4 major trials, 1 double dq, and 1 hunt test dq this year.That's right a full hunt test with a derby and q.As mentioned before trials are alot of work and it seems like the help is shrinking.

It also helps that Monday is a holiday for many.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

It also helps that Monday is a holiday for many.
    Pretty sure Ted has me on filter but, that's exactly what I thought too.. Ted, you ever used Walnuts instead of marbles? Safety first..

Ted we are changing the dates for this year. The only holiday will be Memorial day.The 2 other dates will be started on Saturday -Monday.We will have 1 traditional Friday-Sunday trial in October. The trial days help the amaetur who does not need to take off work. It does help getting people being off work and school with bird boys.