The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Need crate advice

Default Need crate advice

Hi all,
    I am trying to devise a way to carry 4 dogs in a capped pickup truck. Full size 3/4 ton truck with an 8 foot bed. This is mainly for my next trip to N. Dakota this coming fall. I have 3 and my buddy has 1 dog.
    his dog and one of mine are littermates, and will be about 15 months old for the trip. After last years trip the conditions can be tough for a young dog so we plan for each day there will be one young and one experienced dog. It looks like I will need to fabricate a kennel. I would like the kennels to stack 2 over 2. On the trip out I will have the kennel back near the tail gate and the rest of the bed packed with the various stuff we need to take. We will also be towing a small trailer with more stuff and a couple of canoes.

Once we are there and hunting I would push the kennel to the front of the truck so we can put the hunting stuff in the rest of the bed and still take all 4 dogs out. So those that do not hunt can still get some exercise while we are scouting for the next day.
    I currently use 2 large size Vari-kennels, and they seem really tall for the dog. Dogs are pretty compact at 60 pounds. The space I have inside the cap is a max of 40.5 inches high, kennels can be 22-23 inches wide each and 30-34 inches deep. The key measurement is the height. With only 40.5 inches available that leaves a max of 19 inches high inside the kennels. Leaving room for the floor, middle level and the top.

I am concerned that may be to low, they are smaller dogs. It would be about the same size as a MEDIUM RTK kennel.
    Would appreciate some thoughts before beginning to draw them up. What are the dimensions inside a pros box that is a chassis build? I cannot find dimensions on the various websites.
    Thanks,
    Nate
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Lebanon, OH

Seriously people 115 views and NO COMMENTS???? When do you all fail to have something to say!!!-LOL
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Lebanon, OH

"Double" them up... two per crate. Also keeps em warm!

Quote Originally Posted by DropinBack View Post
    "Double" them up... two per crate. Also keeps em warm!
    Obvious answer to me...I can't tell you how many times we go hunting and throw 2 dogs (smaller females) in a Large crate. Hell an XL would probably fit 3.
    Might consider breaking down 1-2 kennels (assuming they come apart in the middle) this way if you need to leave a dog at your basecamp on the trip you have the extra kennel or 2. Otherwise double them up and stop a little more often to air them. Could you slide 3 kennels in sideways? Kind of a pain to pull them out and let dogs out but gets you 3 kennels in and only 2 dogs doubling up.
    Matthew Ries, Pharm.D.

Poole's Matador's Maggie May (04/14/2012 - Present)
    Lacakota Super Magnum (02/20/2002 - 07/2010)

Also- Get a couple of the fold up kind .... maybe thats a solution... but since you will be hunting 2 at a time, and you have four, most of the time they will be asleep or hunting anyway so doubling up shouldnt be an issue...