The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If chessies are burr heads, than eng.cockers are....

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Default If chessies are burr heads, than eng.cockers are....

Took over 30 minutes to de-burr (10) and un-sticker (many!) Ninja. And I know that she accumulated all of them within the first 5 minutes of our hour long fun fest!!! Note to self: Install a bench mounted, large, heavy duty vise to hold squirming dog while pulling out pokey burrs and stickers.

IMG_2659.jpgIMG_2660.jpgIMG_2716.jpgIMG_2717.jpg
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

You won't hear me say anything bad about most Chessie' anymore. We raised a litter of Chessies for a friend and today when one of the buyers came to pick up her 7 week old pup, Alan threw a Snow goose out about 30 feet to see if the pup was interested in birds. That little booger ran out to it, tried to pick it up and bring it back. It kept stumbling over the goose, so she truned around and drug it backward, looking over her shoulder now and then to make sure where we were. She drug it all the was back to us and was looking for more! We've raised over 1,000 pups and these are as good as any of them. Does my old heart good, Bill
    'Show up for work, do the best job you can and treat others the way you would like to be treated'

Chessies really don't collect burrs all that much. We had a Brittany that would collect burrs when pheasant hunting and then lay in the back of the car and rip them out with his teeth before we could get to comb him! He was a tough guy! I've heard from some Golden friends that if you spray with Pam lightly before going to the field it helps to get the burrs out of that silky hair.

I just slit the burdock with a pocketknife, then brush it out. Tick trefoil gets combed out. There is some kind of tiny barbed stuff that I just cut out.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Might want to try using "Cowboy Magic" or "Mane and Tail" detangler from the feed store.
    If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2012-2013 season log)

two of the setter owners shaved their dogs before sending them hunting with me to South Dakota.

I trim my springers & golden a couple times a year & keep something like this handy. This is one undeniable advantage of a Labrador.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Watson View Post
    You won't hear me say anything bad about most Chessie' anymore. We raised a litter of Chessies for a friend and today when one of the buyers came to pick up her 7 week old pup, Alan threw a Snow goose out about 30 feet to see if the pup was interested in birds. That little booger ran out to it, tried to pick it up and bring it back. It kept stumbling over the goose, so she truned around and drug it backward, looking over her shoulder now and then to make sure where we were. She drug it all the was back to us and was looking for more! We've raised over 1,000 pups and these are as good as any of them. Does my old heart good, Bill

That would have made a fantastic pic or vid clip.

Quote Originally Posted by RJW View Post
    That would have made a fantastic pic or vid clip.
    It is a vid clip, saw it posted on another forum specific to chessies and wouldn't be surprised to see it posted here later. It is a great vid to watch, made me smile but then I have a personal interest in the litter.

vaseline works wonders on burrs on long hair dogs. Just work a little into the hair around the bur and it keeps it all in one piece and pulls out easily.