The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Trainers( Sit Means Sit)

Default Dog Trainers( Sit Means Sit)

I'm interested in knowing if anybody has used The Dog trainers from Sit Means Sit, Ive been watching some videos and have a friend who is interested and was wondering if anybody had any real feedback about them, The only reviews i can find are great but there is always some people that might not be happy, Seeing as i like to hear both good and bad before i make my decisions, Any feed back would be great, Thanks

Unlikely you'll get any good feedback from this bunch re SMS. We all train our own dogs (for the most part) and some are actually competitors.

You're better off checking personal references for the trainer in question and reviewing their resume. You can and should go check out audit a group class or lesson as well, to see if it meets with your expectations.

They have a wide variety of trainers and skill levels. You have to look at the individual franchise IMO to see what you think.
    Darrin Greene

What is Sit Means Sit?

What does your friend want to do with his dog?
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

the owner of SMS is a man named Fred Hassen,probably the most misunderstood man to ever to have a brief stay here oh the RTF...used to spar with him on line as he rubbed many the wrong way with his less than traditional views on training dogs...got to know the man and his wife in person and turned out to be quite normal and not nearly as abrasive as his on line personna
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I trained with a Sit Means Sit trainer before I was involved in retriever training. It's a franchise dog-training operation that uses an e-collar as part of their method. DarrinGreene is absolutely right, the trainers who purchase a franchise are trained in the method, but like all dog trainers, there are great ones and there are so-so ones and the franchise can never guarantee that each one will be great. Most of them will do a free demonstration and evaluation at your home, and I suggest you go watch one of their classes and see if it's for you.

I was turned off from the method when I asked my trainer at what point I could transition off of the collar (because I was considering showing) and she said "never." It did get my dog conditioned to the e-collar long before I ever did any retriever work though, LOL.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    got to know the man and his wife in person and turned out to be quite normal and not nearly as abrasive as his on line personna
    How true is this about alot of people (RTF and otherwise)?
    Last edited by DuckTruk; 03-14-2013 at 12:21 PM.
    Bob Foster

Quote Originally Posted by DuckTruk View Post
    How true is this (RTF and otherwise)?
    Depends who you are. I've spoken to Fred a number of times myself and found him to be well within the spectrum of normal. We're still acquainted. Everyone is not everyone else's cup of tea unfortunately. That's why we all have our own circle of friends, right?
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Spears View Post
    I trained with a Sit Means Sit trainer before I was involved in retriever training. It's a franchise dog-training operation that uses an e-collar as part of their method. DarrinGreene is absolutely right, the trainers who purchase a franchise are trained in the method, but like all dog trainers, there are great ones and there are so-so ones and the franchise can never guarantee that each one will be great. Most of them will do a free demonstration and evaluation at your home, and I suggest you go watch one of their classes and see if it's for you.

I was turned off from the method when I asked my trainer at what point I could transition off of the collar (because I was considering showing) and she said "never." It did get my dog conditioned to the e-collar long before I ever did any retriever work though, LOL.
    I get that same question when I have a customer using any type of correction, whether it be pinch collar or e-collar. My answer is "Eventually, the dog will have a set of well ingrained habits that don't require the use of corrections very often, if at all. The rules for most dog games specify now equipment at all on a dog, and the dogs perform fine. Having said that... WHY would you not want to have access to the training tool for the life of the dog?"

I get immediately concerned when people ask me questions like this because I know they are not fully bought into the method and probably won't be consistent with it's usage down the line, which only makes for bad press for my business. I don't want anything but well behaved dogs out there if they have been through my program.

SMS is like anything involving correction. Some folks are going to be skeptical, if not downright resistant because of it's nature. I find this especially true with e-collars. E-collars also drive the price up a bit, but... Once people see a demo of a dog who shows no ill effects from e-collar usage and is obedient as can be, they usually come around. SMS relies on that demo dog very heavily. That's one of the requirements of becoming a franchise. Your dog goes with you to school.

Quick disclaimer, all this info about SMS I'm giving is my observations from afar. None of it is proprietary. You can find out for yourself with a little bit of research.
    Last edited by DarrinGreene; 03-14-2013 at 12:14 PM.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    Depends who you are. I've spoken to Fred a number of times myself and found him to be well within the spectrum of normal. We're still acquainted. Everyone is not everyone else's cup of tea unfortunately. That's why we all have our own circle of friends, right?
    I edited my original comment and forgot to finish the thought....It should have read "How true is this about alot of people (RTF and otherwise)"

I've never met the dude and don't remember the "battles" that were referenced....
    Bob Foster

I like the idea that SMS takes potential handlers through a training program.
    Steven

Nordahl's Queen of Spades (Sadie)

Nordahl's Dream in Extreme JH (Dixie)

Wild Meadow Retrievers