The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Trainers( Sit Means Sit)

Quote Originally Posted by sdnordahl View Post
    I like the idea that SMS takes potential handlers through a training program.
    It's still a franchise. If a person is a good dog trainer and spent adequate time proving their abilities in their chosen field they do not need a franchise to be a dog trainer. Their reputation in their chosen venue is more than enough to bring them business. There is not a business owner alive who will not declare that referals and word of mouth are the best marketing tools.

It is a franchise, but they target the people that are going to use Petsmart for obediance. I honestly doubt that anyone who plays the dog games would use Petsmart of SMS, but the people that want want Rover to walk on a loose leash and not drag them around the block are perfect candidates for SMS.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    It's still a franchise. If a person is a good dog trainer and spent adequate time proving their abilities in their chosen field they do not need a franchise to be a dog trainer. Their reputation in their chosen venue is more than enough to bring them business. There is not a business owner alive who will not declare that referals and word of mouth are the best marketing tools.
    That depends to some degree on the person's marketing expertise and business acumen Paul. A franchise provides a lot of things that someone without a lot of marketing and business experience might need, such as logos, advertising layouts, strategies for building business and so forth. They also provide product at a discount, sometimes better than you can get with a distributor, because they can buy in bigger volume. You might also get a lot of brand recognition depending on who you partner with.

I think there is a place for it in pet dog training when you are trying to compete against a behemoth like pet smart or petco.

The reason I say that is because I think the average pet owner has no idea what someone's reputation is in any dog sport that they might participate in, much less a commercial endeavor like detection dogs or police dogs. You could easily starve to death trying to start a business based strictly on referrals and word of mouth. When you begin, most have to advertise and create awareness of themselves in the local community or they will never get off the ground. Eventually, you can cut those expenses and live on referrals, but up front you really need that awareness factor. Franchise deals like SMS provide a lot of that stuff and good guidance on where and how to get business that isn't otherwise available to people.

I personally have 20+ years of corporate marketing experience and some self employed sales experience. I didn't go with a franchise because I want to build my own brand, but if I was an awesome trainer and wanted to get going, I would consider it. I know Fred because his franchise was part of my research for writing my business plan. Ultimately I chose to do my own thing but only because I have cost effective access to the marketing and advertising skill sets I needed to get started. If you didn't have that, SMS is a pretty cost effective franchise to buy into.
    Last edited by DarrinGreene; 03-14-2013 at 12:56 PM.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Farrar View Post
    It is a franchise, but they target the people that are going to use Petsmart for obediance. I honestly doubt that anyone who plays the dog games would use Petsmart of SMS, but the people that want want Rover to walk on a loose leash and not drag them around the block are perfect candidates for SMS.
    And... that's where the money is...
    Darrin Greene

You mean the Sit means Sit has a website and provides regional referals to the trainers who pay the fee?

Franchise

My wife is crazy about Red Lobster (the restuarant)
    We have stopped eating at the one in our home town because the quality is sub par.
    It's all about the local management.

The same applies to SMS.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    And... that's where the money is...
    Yup! Agreed. No matter where You are in the world.
    I make twice as much from the 'Pet scene' as I do from the 'Gundog Scene'. The pet scene pay on time,and require less effort or investment of equipment.
    The 'Gundog scene' expect 'Quick Fix' and are Bad Payer's! 'Often expecting ''Free'' ! Just because You compete with them?..(What's that all about?),They also require more extensive training and training costs ,with more than 10 times the amount of time. - Both are charged the same !!?? Do the 'Maths'
    Everybody advertises (In some way), The very fact that I am posting is ''Advertising'', although I am unlikely to gain any business directly from it!
    I don't advertise 'Over Here' by way of flyer's ,or fancy web site,or Marketing Company....In the line of ''Dog Training'' ,as a profession?..
    I believe -You are only as good as the Last dog you trained.
    ''That's the best Advert You can get''.

ATB .You RTF' ers I have spent a few valuable/and In-valuable times on here,and found 'You guy's are ''Just the same,as over here''
    'Thanks for the Dance'
    R.
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Just seams to me I've seen about 2-3 Sit means Sit people come and go locally. Doesn't sing of a "strong business/franchise" investment to me personally. Then again, who knows how many store front training stores/centers have come and gone too?

I know there are some staple training centers in the NW and what seem to be a group of very stable professional trainers who've been around a long while. Maybe the longevity and reputation of those training facilities(general, not field) overshadow the ability of a SMS business to be successful in the area?

As a few folks have commented, they liked the idea of a trainer having been through a program and another posted that one Red Lobster isn't as good as another. For me, to continue to seek a quality franchise I expect the same consistency and quality of the product no matter if I'm in Denver at the Corp. Offices or in my home town. For the inability to provide a consistent product in a dog trainer, I certainly wouldn't really feel that a dog training operation is a good choice for a franchise business. Something which deals with recipes and frozen food seems to be a more reliable model to follow when you're handing out $$$'s.

It is what it is
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

A long time ago (probably over 5 years), I went to a SMS "session" with a friend who had just bought a new dog and wanted to try them out. I had collar trained my previous dog, so I was familiar with the idea, if not their exact methods. I was really not impressed. There was little "teaching." Example: dog pulled on the leash, dog was stimmed until it stopped pulling on the leash. The owner was instructed to do nothing but stand there. There were no verbal commands that the dog could follow. The dog looked very confused and somewhat panicked. I don't think that is the way most trainers introduce the e-collar. Also, the payment structure COMPLETELY turned me off. You pay for "lifetime" training, and I think it was something like $1500 for a pet owner, plus the cost of the collar. Sorry, but I'm not going to put that much money down if I don't even know if this is going to work for me and my dog. I have also watched some of the videos online and I don't like the way many of the dogs work. Just not my cup of tea.

All just my opinion from one experience.
    Marie
    "Riot" Topbrass Disturbin' the Peace, Golden Retriever in training
    "Mocha" UUD Mocha, the old mutt, missing her terribly

"To win the game is great
    To play the game is greater
    To love the game is greatest"