The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Trainers( Sit Means Sit)

Thanks every body,

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    You mean the Sit means Sit has a website and provides regional referals to the trainers who pay the fee?
    There is a central website where you punch in your location and it guides you to the right person locally. Comes up pretty high in the google listing because of the overall traffic rate on the site. The local person doesn't really need that much traffic, I don't think, for it to show up high in the listing. The top 4 listings in the "organic" section after the paid ads get 80% of the traffic or something. There's a lot to be said for popping up first.

It comes up 3rd or 4th in my area. I don't see it in yours. There may not be a trainer nearby you so the keywords don't appear in the site.
    Last edited by DarrinGreene; 03-14-2013 at 06:34 PM.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    There is a central website where you punch in your location and it guides you to the right person locally. Comes up pretty high in the google listing because of the overall traffic rate on the site. The local person doesn't really need that much traffic, I don't think, for it to show up high in the listing. The top 4 listings in the "organic" section after the paid ads get 80% of the traffic or something. There's a lot to be said for popping up first.

It comes up 3rd or 4th in my area. I don't see it in yours. There may not be a trainer nearby you so the keywords don't appear in the site.
    I've seen a few SMS trainers around. Seems like I saw one just a few months ago at a dog show? Dunno? I know of at least 2 with certainty. I think there may have been more at one time.

surprised it didn't come up in the search then.

like I said, it does out here - must have to do with the traffic to the individual trainer's page
    Darrin Greene

I met Fred about 7/8 years ago when my training partner had a Sit-Means-Sit training franchise here in the Seattle/Tacoma area. They were putting on a seminar. I picked Fred up at the airport. THAT was quite impressive. I walked in the airport looking for him and there he was with a 9 month old Mal. The pup was sitting on a frisbee waiting patiently for Fred to get his luggage. No leash, no collar. When Fred told the dog to heel, he stood up and picked up his frisbee and heeled along through all the people with baggage on wheels, kids, old people, etc. Fred is pretty interesting - at least that's how I remember the short visit. The next day at the seminar, he was pretty amazing. All sorts of people and dogs showed up - police dogs with their handlers, shy dogs, people/food/dog aggressive dogs. I think my lab was the only "normal" dog there that day. Not that the police dogs weren't well behaved - they were, just pretty excited about everything. They aren't the kind of dogs that lay around collecting dust. His demo included every dog there. I don't know where he gets his energy, but he truly was amazing to watch with dogs. His 9 month old Mal would not only retrieve stuff, behave perfectly in a busy airport, but would also "attack" the guy wearing all the padding on command, and then stop instantly.

But, like others have mentioned, it all depends on the trainer you deal with. I don't think they've cloned Fred, yet.

Fran

ahh good ol freddy
    HOLD FAST
    Winter is coming
    Duck hunters like other duck hunters at a Holiday party, cocktail hour or a school play..........they hate each other @ 5am

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    I get that same question when I have a customer using any type of correction, whether it be pinch collar or e-collar. My answer is "Eventually, the dog will have a set of well ingrained habits that don't require the use of corrections very often, if at all. The rules for most dog games specify now equipment at all on a dog, and the dogs perform fine. Having said that... WHY would you not want to have access to the training tool for the life of the dog?"

I get immediately concerned when people ask me questions like this because I know they are not fully bought into the method and probably won't be consistent with it's usage down the line, which only makes for bad press for my business. I don't want anything but well behaved dogs out there if they have been through my program.

SMS is like anything involving correction. Some folks are going to be skeptical, if not downright resistant because of it's nature. I find this especially true with e-collars. E-collars also drive the price up a bit, but... Once people see a demo of a dog who shows no ill effects from e-collar usage and is obedient as can be, they usually come around. SMS relies on that demo dog very heavily. That's one of the requirements of becoming a franchise. Your dog goes with you to school.

Quick disclaimer, all this info about SMS I'm giving is my observations from afar. None of it is proprietary. You can find out for yourself with a little bit of research.
    Oh you can be we still use our e-collars, LOL. The way she was teaching the class, we were to nick at the same time any command was uttered. Heel (nick), sit (nick), here (nick.) Granted, they were light nicks, just enough to get the desired response. I just thought that nicking with every single command, including the first time a new command was used, was way too much nicking. Maybe it was just her "spin" on the method, since someone else mentioned that Fred's dog performed in the airport without a collar. I just wasn't "meshing" with the local trainer. Plus, she only teaches pet people how to get their dogs to do basic obedience: she doesn't do AKC obedience or rally training, or any specific event. When our lesson plan was over, we just moved on.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

Quote Originally Posted by Fran Seagren View Post
    I met Fred about 7/8 years ago when my training partner had a Sit-Means-Sit training franchise here in the Seattle/Tacoma area. They were putting on a seminar. I picked Fred up at the airport. THAT was quite impressive. I walked in the airport looking for him and there he was with a 9 month old Mal. The pup was sitting on a frisbee waiting patiently for Fred to get his luggage. No leash, no collar. When Fred told the dog to heel, he stood up and picked up his frisbee and heeled along through all the people with baggage on wheels, kids, old people, etc. Fred is pretty interesting - at least that's how I remember the short visit. The next day at the seminar, he was pretty amazing. All sorts of people and dogs showed up - police dogs with their handlers, shy dogs, people/food/dog aggressive dogs. I think my lab was the only "normal" dog there that day. Not that the police dogs weren't well behaved - they were, just pretty excited about everything. They aren't the kind of dogs that lay around collecting dust. His demo included every dog there. I don't know where he gets his energy, but he truly was amazing to watch with dogs. His 9 month old Mal would not only retrieve stuff, behave perfectly in a busy airport, but would also "attack" the guy wearing all the padding on command, and then stop instantly.

But, like others have mentioned, it all depends on the trainer you deal with. I don't think they've cloned Fred, yet.

Fran
    I don't agree with dogs being off lead in public areas. Police dogs are not off lead unless they are actively working. I have three local K-9 Handler friends, one of whom moved recently to San Diego PD and the others are in Monroe PD and another WSP Handler. They don't have their dogs off lead in public. It's a liability. It's a bad example to set for folks who don't know any better. I won't take my dogs to the sportsman shows again because they allow the general public to walk in with dogs whom are not part of the show. I'll assume that most "trainers" have their dogs with proper vaccinations etc although, the arrival of general public with pit bulls and various dogs just doesn't sit well with me. Unless you are working your dog in a private area they should be on lead or in a kennel. Not having a dog on lead in a public place with other stuff going on puts your own dog at risk no matter how well behaved. --

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Spears View Post
    Oh you can be we still use our e-collars, LOL. The way she was teaching the class, we were to nick at the same time any command was uttered. Heel (nick), sit (nick), here (nick.) Granted, they were light nicks, just enough to get the desired response. I just thought that nicking with every single command, including the first time a new command was used, was way too much nicking. Maybe it was just her "spin" on the method, since someone else mentioned that Fred's dog performed in the airport without a collar. I just wasn't "meshing" with the local trainer. Plus, she only teaches pet people how to get their dogs to do basic obedience: she doesn't do AKC obedience or rally training, or any specific event. When our lesson plan was over, we just moved on.

That whole nonstop nicking is what gets me i really dont think thats a good thing, I watched some videos and was wondering why the guy was using the nick button like he was sending a telegram, A little more intensity and and you dont have to burn them as much, Seems to me that a dog could get confused easily, I know it works but man when the dog you demonstrate is yours that you have been working with for years do you really need to nick them that many times?

If you all think you know better then you should be the ones with the national franchise, right?
    Darrin Greene