The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts from the Breeder Police

Default Thoughts from the Breeder Police

I worked for a vet years ago, here in our small, rural area. In those years with him, saw a lot of dogs, of course, many mixed breeds, lots of purebreds, including a bunch of Labs & Goldens. Lots of dysplasia and skin issues in the retrievers. There were several clients that were of the backyard breeder type, one Golden, 2 Labrador. I personally visited one of the Labrador breeders, who was later shut down by the county for many violations, all 26 of his Labs taken and re-homed, those that could be salvaged anyway. His were “AKC quality” but no real papers, even the AKC had given up on registering his Labs. He brought them in for mandatory rabies vaccines and not much else. Actual treatment cost money, cheaper to just dispose of a dog and replace it.

The Golden breeder had lots of issues and knew it but once those pups were out the door, they didn’t return any phone calls from the buyers, who were left with crippled dogs and big vet bills.

The other Lab breeder complained about no one local buying his pups and he’d take them up to Canada and sell them. He had started bringing in his dogs for OFA hips after giving his daughter one of his pups and that pup being severely dysplastic at 5 MONTHS of age. His daughter was irate and insisted he start doing OFA hips. One visit, one of his females had bad hips, weren’t going to pass. He was disgusted, showed up at the local shelter later with her, emaciated, said if they didn’t take her, he’d just shoot her (I’m a volunteer there, it happened). She wasn’t worth feeding since he couldn’t breed her. The final straw for me working for the vet was the day this breeder came in for his usual attempt at free treatment without actually bringing in a dog. He mentioned one of his other females had died. He was so casual about it. Said she’d had a litter okay but this last cold spell, did her in. His dogs were housed outside. It had been well below zero for several days. She was 10 years old. All I could think of was the 10 years of living outside without adequate shelter, the lack of any real care, attention, anything but being thrown some food and bred every cycle until she died, literally freezing to death. How much is a bale or two of straw, how much effort to throw into a dog house? The bare minimum standard of care, what is it worth to someone’s humanity? Not much apparently, to some people.

To me, there is no excuse for not doing health clearances except ignorance, and that only gets one pass. I don’t care what color, what breed, do right by the dogs. I don’t care if you only want a meat dog, I don’t care if the dog never picks up a bird and hasn’t got a title in 5 generations. Do right by the dogs when it comes to their health and well-being. I don’t care if you’re too busy, don’t have the money or time. YOU are responsible, you make the decision to breed, you take accountability for what you produce. And expect to be questioned on a public forum dedicated to and run by retriever people. If you have nothing to hide, you aren’t going to be offended, you’ll just point to the clearances you did. If you aren’t working to ensure the health of what you breed, then you are part of the problem and one of the reasons “breeder” is a nasty word these days.

Some say we need to be nice, educate, well, that's fine, I'm all for helping anyone understand and I answer alot of pm's in that regard. But, we seem to be flush with those who think it is their God given right to do whatever they want however they want, that the standards shouldn't apply to them, that whine when they get an answer they don't like. They know full well the clearances they should be doing, they have excuses for not doing them. Not PC enough? Too bad. I'm sick of whiners and crybabies.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Here,here Kim!
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

Kim,
    You do a great job breeding and educating people on the importance of doing all the right things when it comes to breeding!
    Mike Peters

where is the "applause" emoticon? I want to post about 100 of them.
    Great post.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

I've said it before, I will say it again. My hat is off to you guys that dare to breed. My respect for the responsibilities you take on, the time and education, the money spent and honest love and concern for the dogs is immeasurable. I could never do it. You suffer the sadness and pain of losing a pup or a bitch. You cry as you bury them as you laugh when you play with and raise them. If it were not for those of you doing this the right way, I would not have the magnificent dogs I have. Anyone that tries to shortcut the learning and responsibility just to play at breeding hurts a whole world of people like me who just want a good dog. The "just for funners" ruin the reputations of all breeders. Then what are we left with?
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Very good post.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Very well put Kim!
    HRCH Walkers Puddle Jumpin Koda "Koda"
    SHR Duncan's Haulin a Limit "Limit"
    Bourbon Bay's Other Woman "Jolene"

Well said, Kim. Bravo!

And let me add: No one...repeat NO ONE....is exempt from breeding without at least basic clearances and worse yet, lying about having them when they either have never been done or the dog failed. I don't care how rare or "special" your dogs are. If you're breeding either with no clearances, or worse yet, with dogs that, for example, have bad hips and you know they're bad but you breed anyway because you just want puppies, that makes you a puppy mill, regardless of number of dogs you have.

Having dealt with a young dog here for training from a so-called "breeder" with a fancy website...and watching the heartbreak its owners went through before the dog even turned two (Hip dysplasia, two TPLO surgeries, and cataracts, any hope of hunting now over at age two...and the "breeder" refused to do anything to honor the supposed guarantee)....not to mention the dog had minimal desire to retrieve...I have no patience for irresponsible "breeders".
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

While i don't disagree with good breeding practices, I've heard the soap box about all the clearances and doing the right thing from a lot of breeders. They fall off that soap box pretty damn fast when you call them about a genetic problem with one of their puppies. I also find it interesting how people pick and choose which genetic aspects they need to cover....

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

You best edit your post, /paul, can't use the "d" word on here.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs