The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: Do you wait to see who is judging?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

48 52.75%
  • NO

43 47.25%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunt test judges and entering

Default Hunt test judges and entering

How many of you wait and watch to see who is judging before entering a hunt test?
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Since the judges are usually required for it to be accepted, pretty much always

Would you avoid judges that your dog has failed under in the past?
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

I wouldn't

I do not recall in the EE era seeing a test "finalized" and AKC approved without the judges being listed .And EE doesn't accept entries until finalized ( I think ). And back in the day of paperwork ,an entry form never arrived via USPS without the judges names .
    But I think your question really is - Do you have certain judges that you do not run under ? My answer is yes. Took the long way to get there regards............
    SEMPER FI . FROM MY COLD , DEAD HANDS .

www.bashakilllabradors.com

In my case it has more to do with which tests I can enter while working around judging assignments, work and sanity breaks (otherwise known as fishing).

I won't enter any test if I don't feel the dog is going to pass, regardless of who is judging.-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by yellow machine View Post
    Would you avoid judges that your dog has failed under in the past?
    No. There are judges that I do avoid, but that isn't a factor.

Basically you can fail under any judge, so that makes it tough. To put a judge on my do not run list something bad had to have happened or lots of things over time.

I know folks who avoid judges that tend to throw tests that their dogs don't do well and I don't have a problem with that. It is your money and weekend so you may as well enjoy it. I just don't run as many any more so I am not up on it.

Now how to get into the flight with your friends (and preferably with the better pair of judges) that is the real trick
    Last edited by DoubleHaul; 03-15-2013 at 12:23 PM.

If you run masters and do not pay attention to who is judging your asking for issues. Masters is a very interpretative stake, and judges are all over the place in their judging of it. I do not judge shop; but I have been advised certain times on truly great judges to run under and perhaps some to avoid. Used to be I'd just run under anyone. You have enough interesting experiences and you start paying attention to judging styles. So yes knowing who the judges are is important to me, I've gone so far as to scratch when a master test has to split and they have to bring in alternate judges, who were not on the premium.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 03-15-2013 at 02:15 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

As a novice I avoided entering some tests on the advice of friends, suggesting my first experience should be with good judges. Honestly, I regret not entering. I don't intend on making the same mistake. That isn't to say I might not in the future avoid certain judges, but I intend on basing that on my personal experience.

Not to hijack the thread but don't you think some judges would like to know who is entering before they take the assignment ..? Some contestants are not always a welcome sight because of the their comments and behaviors....It is a gentleman's sport yet, and ladies...On both sides...let's keep it that away.... Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters