RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Do you wait to see who is judging?

Hunt test judges and entering

5K views 27 replies 23 participants last post by  duk4me 
#1 ·
How many of you wait and watch to see who is judging before entering a hunt test?

#7 · (Edited)
No. There are judges that I do avoid, but that isn't a factor.

Basically you can fail under any judge, so that makes it tough. To put a judge on my do not run list something bad had to have happened or lots of things over time.

I know folks who avoid judges that tend to throw tests that their dogs don't do well and I don't have a problem with that. It is your money and weekend so you may as well enjoy it. I just don't run as many any more so I am not up on it.

Now how to get into the flight with your friends (and preferably with the better pair of judges) that is the real trick :)

#5 ·
I do not recall in the EE era seeing a test "finalized" and AKC approved without the judges being listed .And EE doesn't accept entries until finalized ( I think ). And back in the day of paperwork ,an entry form never arrived via USPS without the judges names .
But I think your question really is - Do you have certain judges that you do not run under ? My answer is yes. Took the long way to get there regards............

#6 ·
In my case it has more to do with which tests I can enter while working around judging assignments, work and sanity breaks (otherwise known as fishing).

I won't enter any test if I don't feel the dog is going to pass, regardless of who is judging.-Paul

#8 · (Edited)
If you run masters and do not pay attention to who is judging your asking for issues. Masters is a very interpretative stake, and judges are all over the place in their judging of it. I do not judge shop; but I have been advised certain times on truly great judges to run under and perhaps some to avoid. Used to be I'd just run under anyone. You have enough interesting experiences and you start paying attention to judging styles. So yes knowing who the judges are is important to me, I've gone so far as to scratch when a master test has to split and they have to bring in alternate judges, who were not on the premium.

#9 ·
As a novice I avoided entering some tests on the advice of friends, suggesting my first experience should be with good judges. Honestly, I regret not entering. I don't intend on making the same mistake. That isn't to say I might not in the future avoid certain judges, but I intend on basing that on my personal experience.

#10 ·
Not to hijack the thread but don't you think some judges would like to know who is entering before they take the assignment ..? Some contestants are not always a welcome sight because of the their comments and behaviors....It is a gentleman's sport yet, and ladies...On both sides...let's keep it that away.... Steve S

#11 ·
I would think that most people would avoid a particular judge for various reasons. I know of one judge whom I witnessed making embarrassing comments for all to hear about dogs at a hunt test. Why would anyone want to run under that judge?

#14 ·
Speaking as a judge......I used several years ago run under anyone and hope for the best. I don't like "gimme" tests but I also don't like TRICK test either. Since I have been judging I have not ran as many HT's as I used to but made it a point to try to enter HT's judged by "DO NOT RUN UNDER" list. Just want to prove to myself that I have trained my dog well enough to run under anybody........JMHO.

#15 ·
I second the not running under judges who are rude or unpleasant. I don't want to spend my weekend dealing with someone who has a chip on their shoulder or who doesn't really want to be there judging dogs.

Dawn

#16 ·
Judge A known for tough, challenging, but fair tests. Judge B, know for easy tests. No meat, not challenging at all. You enter, pay your money, and you will probably pass.

Which one do you choose to run under if you "look" at who is judging before entering?

#17 ·
Definately Judge A. Those ribbons earned are special.

#18 ·
I don't have the luxury of being able to travel very far to run tests; so for me not to run a test based on the judges would really cut down on my options. Have I had judeges I didn't enjoy running under...you bet. But the next time when my dog passes their test it is that much sweeter. The number of judges I have run under and really enjoyed their tests and the men/women who are judging far out number the number of judges I have run under who I have said "man I hope I never run under him again".

#19 ·
I have always just entered regardless of the the judges were. However, in the quest for my MH title I have been advised not to run under a particular judge because of his personality or lack thereof.

I go to test my dog and have a good time. If I wanted to deal with arrogant jerks I would have just went to work.

Lonnie Spann

#21 ·
Doesn't matter to me who the judges are in a Senior or Junior test. But there are a few that I avoid for Master. Has little to do with whether I've passed or failed under a certain judge, but mostly whether I think a particular judge sets up a good test. I think it's easy to tell whether a Master judge is a good handler/trainer by the scenarios he puts together.

#23 ·
I sometimes decline to judge based on who I am being paired with.
I don't judge shop. The distances are to great to pick and choose. I enter with the confidence that my dog will smack what is presented. JD

#27 ·
I think most judges have judges they won't judge with. I know there are people I will not judge with and I know from chairing too many test that one of the first thing most want to know after when is with who.

#26 · (Edited)
There are not enough test within an 8 hour drive to be too selective about who is judging. There is only one person I would not run under so it is really not much of an issue.

on the other side of the coin I do people who have not run because I was judging and even one who pulled out when the original judge had to cancel. These are more or personal reasons, namely me being an asshole, rather than anything to do with judging.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.