The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

View Poll Results: Do you wait to see who is judging?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

48 52.75%
  • NO

43 47.25%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hunt test judges and entering

Doesn't matter to me who the judges are in a Senior or Junior test. But there are a few that I avoid for Master. Has little to do with whether I've passed or failed under a certain judge, but mostly whether I think a particular judge sets up a good test. I think it's easy to tell whether a Master judge is a good handler/trainer by the scenarios he puts together.
    Jeff Jennings
    Whispering Hills Kennels
    Silverton, Oregon

Passing tests in master is easy regardless of the judges. Just have to pin the marks and line the blinds and fido to sit.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

I sometimes decline to judge based on who I am being paired with.
    I don't judge shop. The distances are to great to pick and choose. I enter with the confidence that my dog will smack what is presented. JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by yellow machine View Post
    Would you avoid judges that your dog has failed under in the past?
    I would avoid judges whom I don't think capable of running a sensible test.

Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    Not to hijack the thread but don't you think some judges would like to know who is entering before they take the assignment ..? Some contestants are not always a welcome sight because of the their comments and behaviors....It is a gentleman's sport yet, and ladies...On both sides...let's keep it that away.... Steve S
    As a judge I don't think that would have any bearing at all on who takes the assignment. 99.9% of the people who do hunt test are fine people to associate with and be around.

somewhere between Boca Grande and Nova Scotia

There are not enough test within an 8 hour drive to be too selective about who is judging. There is only one person I would not run under so it is really not much of an issue.

on the other side of the coin I do people who have not run because I was judging and even one who pulled out when the original judge had to cancel. These are more or personal reasons, namely me being an asshole, rather than anything to do with judging.
    Last edited by badbullgator; 03-16-2013 at 08:09 PM.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

somewhere between Boca Grande and Nova Scotia

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    I sometimes decline to judge based on who I am being paired with.
    I don't judge shop. The distances are to great to pick and choose. I enter with the confidence that my dog will smack what is presented. JD
    I think most judges have judges they won't judge with. I know there are people I will not judge with and I know from chairing too many test that one of the first thing most want to know after when is with who.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    Passing tests in master is easy regardless of the judges. Just have to pin the marks and line the blinds and fido to sit.

/Paul
    Not on RTF Paul, not on RTF. BTW this applies to all the disciplines er organizations.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon