The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Careful about the fish you eat!

Default Careful about the fish you eat!

http://vimeo.com/11817894

Anyone that buys fish produced from the Far East is just asking for trouble. All fish, including shrimp. Most fish sold by HIGHLINER in Halifax comes from the Far East. Read the label before you buy. Be sure to watch the video at bottom!

A must-see 4 min. video Asian Catfish Farm

You should also know that most fish and chips fish sold are actually made from this same catfish... because the texture of meat is firm and color is white, and cost is cheap, most restaurants anywhere will use catfish for fish and chips...

so buyers should really avoid catfish or "pacific Dory"

(as this is also its more glamorous market name for same old catfish)

I bet most of the Asian markets and restaurants use these fish from that Mekong river!

This may also be the steamed white fish fillet they serve in many Chinese restaurants.
    Now I know what BASA fish is, often see it on menu in Asian restaurants.

Just look for the "Made in Vietnam label".
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    http://vimeo.com/11817894

Anyone that buys fish produced from the Far East is just asking for trouble. All fish, including shrimp. Most fish sold by HIGHLINER in Halifax comes from the Far East. Read the label before you buy. Be sure to watch the video at bottom!

A must-see 4 min. video Asian Catfish Farm

You should also know that most fish and chips fish sold are actually made from this same catfish... because the texture of meat is firm and color is white, and cost is cheap, most restaurants anywhere will use catfish for fish and chips...

so buyers should really avoid catfish or "pacific Dory"

(as this is also its more glamorous market name for same old catfish)

I bet most of the Asian markets and restaurants use these fish from that Mekong river!

This may also be the steamed white fish fillet they serve in many Chinese restaurants.
    Now I know what BASA fish is, often see it on menu in Asian restaurants.

Just look for the "Made in Vietnam label".
    Amusing post Gerry, considering this is a Friday during the season of Lent. Fish...Hmmm. Consider for a minute the chicken, pork, or beef we all eat. Even the GE vegetables...and fruits, all from our local market... (well not so much, read Chile and Australia on grapes and oranges and inedible stone fruits.) even the local farmers markets which will spring up this season and offer vegetables, home grown, come from seed packets designed to not reproduce.
    Unless you live on a small family farm, (unlikely) raise and slaughter your own livestock, grow your vegetables from heirloom seed stock, everything you buy, cook and eat is somewhat Mekong... J'know?

Bon Appetit regards, JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Was at the grocery tonight and was checking the labels on the seafood! Didn't see any Viet Nam, but plenty of Thailand and some Chile and China.

Also catfish are the garbage can fish that eat off the bottom ... bottom feeders. In fish tanks, you keep a catfish or two to help keep the tank clean. They eat the "refuse" that drops to the bottom of the tank. Even as a kid, I recall the catfish, caught in our local river and ponds, tasted a little bit like mud because they are bottom feeders.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Was at the grocery tonight and was checking the labels on the seafood! Didn't see any Viet Nam, but plenty of Thailand and some Chile and China.

Also catfish are the garbage can fish that eat off the bottom ... bottom feeders. In fish tanks, you keep a catfish or two to help keep the tank clean. They eat the "refuse" that drops to the bottom of the tank. Even as a kid, I recall the catfish, caught in our local river and ponds, tasted a little bit like mud because they are bottom feeders.
    I don't believe country of origin laws are required or inforced for many food products. I could be wrong, however. I haven't researched it extensively. FDA inspections are likely to diminish under sequestration imperitives. North Atlantic flounder are also bottom feeders, as are lobster, shrimp, and many other seafood. I consider commercially raised chicken to be one of the most disgusting foods we eat. I do buy it though. Ya gotta eat!

As to your fish tank..."don't eat the green ones." JD

PS Had some Johnsonville for dinner tonight...tasty. Mekong on the Mississippi. Everything but the squeak.
    Last edited by JDogger; 03-16-2013 at 12:04 AM.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Yep
    what we eat drink and breath has been severely tampered with,,,its no wonder autism ,cancer, and other new weird diseases are springing up like cheat grass.

Hows come the chineese live so long? From the looks of it ,,they eat very little of what they produce,
    Chineese rice contains almost no arsenic. U.S. Rice through GMO process makes its own arsenic and whatever it lacks in arsenic genetically we come along to spray more arsenic on it just for good measure. in the form of pesticides
    Planned eugenics is what its called I think... Time for me to go on a diet any way.

Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Quit raining on my Lent.

Fish-fry season regards,
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

when my dad was still alive he and my mom spent a couple of weeks with me and part of their routine was to go to the local Asian market where they had live fish tanks with different species, I would love to watch my parents pick out a couple of fish and then watch the guy gaffe one and gut it and scale it within a minute or two..that fish would usually be on the grill that I had set up on the patio within an hour ...good times
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yep
    what we eat drink and breath has been severely tampered with,,,its no wonder autism ,cancer, and other new weird diseases are springing up like cheat grass.

Hows come the chineese live so long? From the looks of it ,,they eat very little of what they produce,
    Chineese rice contains almost no arsenic. U.S. Rice through GMO process makes its own arsenic and whatever it lacks in arsenic genetically we come along to spray more arsenic on it just for good measure. in the form of pesticides
    Planned eugenics is what its called I think... Time for me to go on a diet any way.

Pete
    Bingo ! Excellent post.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    when my dad was still alive he and my mom spent a couple of weeks with me and part of their routine was to go to the local Asian market where they had live fish tanks with different species, I would love to watch my parents pick out a couple of fish and then watch the guy gaffe one and gut it and scale it within a minute or two..that fish would usually be on the grill that I had set up on the patio within an hour ...good times
    I well remember the days of fresh caught and cooked fish in bygone days. Our local fish are now so "wormy" that the thought of eating one gags me. Plus all the contamination in all the water. Oil in our creeks now thanks to the oil producers. Probably also leaks of fracking fluids. No one wants to do the testing to prove or disprove that ( we live in the "oil patch" ). And that folks is why I am leary of that big pipeline that Obama may approve soon. Oh well...........can't expect to live forever. Just hate to see the problems for the young people.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Quote Originally Posted by charly_t View Post
    I well remember the days of fresh caught and cooked fish in bygone days. Our local fish are now so "wormy" that the thought of eating one gags me. Plus all the contamination in all the water. Oil in our creeks now thanks to the oil producers. Probably also leaks of fracking fluids. No one wants to do the testing to prove or disprove that ( we live in the "oil patch" ). And that folks is why I am leary of that big pipeline that Obama may approve soon. Oh well...........can't expect to live forever. Just hate to see the problems for the young people.
    No doubt we have polluted the world's waterways and fisheries, I quit eating fish caught in So Calif waters years ago when the mercury levels got too high, about the only fish I eat now is Alaska salmon from the guys trips the last couple of years...I do miss eating freshly caught crappie from some of my favorite tanks in Texas
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"