The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Careful about the fish you eat!

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Bon, where the San Juan enters NM is where they have the two hunt tests each year. One the end of April and the other in October. But no FT water anywhere that I can find. Even the few ponds that Breck found with the Satellite pictures failed to provide any opportunity. Oh well, I guess me and my dogs are on the wagon for a while. Pretty dry county
    Carol that is what just stumps me ...and my brother to some extent...the Four Corners, Cortez, Pagosa, Durango area has ideal weather year round, relatively flat ground, and has cattle ranches...I understand much of the land is owned by the various Tribal Indian groups,but there is plenty of snow runoff to fill ponds...Guess they just havent found the proper use of a John Deere bulldozer....what they need is to get a Chad Baker to dig up some grounds..I know there are ducks in the area,I see them year round including in the irrigational canal on my brother's property, there are some nice lakes like Vallecito and Lemon lake but they arent too keen on having dogs loose and in the water
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I found one nice lake up in Carson Nat'l Forest last year. All excited, loaded up the dogs, drove an hour and a half to get there........ covered with toxic blue-green algae I agree, with the acequia system we have here, there should be plenty of pond building. But people either don't want them or are not the land owners. I know one guy here on RTF that had a GREAT hunting season up near Navajo dam. So there are ducks aplenty, just no water that's not rolling by at 5 knots! And oh yeah, don't forget Alamosa Wildlife Management area. Fantastic water! Lots of it! No Training allowed! Maybe if a native Coloradan talked to someone there, but they weren't interested in talking to any yahoos from New Mexico!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    even the local farmers markets which will spring up this season and offer vegetables, home grown, come from seed packets designed to not reproduce.
    Unless you live on a small family farm, (unlikely) raise and slaughter your own livestock, grow your vegetables from heirloom seed stock, everything you buy, cook and eat is somewhat Mekong... J'know?
    You know these things for a fact, JD? If so, I would like to be enlightened .

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    FWIW, if you are concerned about adding another "pipeline" to our current underground systems, please check the maps of the gazillion of miles that are already transporting oil and gas and water to every imaginable corner of the USA. I suspect the track record of these operations is very reliable, but then if you want to be fed the usual propaganda from the Hollywood left, I reckon anyone can be brain-washed.
    I have a little map showing Keystone relative to all other lines - inconsequental. I use it to settle arguments with the lefty's.

I get that high every day Pete! My office is at 10,200'!
    My 1st job out of school was Climax Moly above Fremont Pass in CO. All living quarters were higher than the pass which was 11,318. The portal to the Philipson level was 11,500 with the top level at 11,990. Full retirement @ 60 if you survived that long. Our company apartment was about 11,650. Mined Molybdenum .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

[QUOTE=Marvin S;1083707]You know these things for a fact, JD? If so, I would like to be enlightened .
    No, marvin. My post like yours and others are opinions, and opinions only. I would like to imagine that all posts reflected the Truth, (capital T) you know like universal, all-knowing Truths. Unfortunately, the truths we speak of and recognize are the small truths (small t) that we want to believe..
    Enlightenment is probably best practiced as self-enlightenment, much as self-delusion, which is well practiced here on PP.

I have been over every high pass in and out of Leadville. I spend a part of my summers there training at Camp Hale.

JD

Last edited by JDogger; 03-19-2013 at 11:07 PM.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

[QUOTE=JDogger;1083841]
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    No, marvin. My post like yours and others are opinions, and opinions only. I would like to imagine that all posts reflected the Truth, (capital T) you know like universal, all-knowing Truths. Unfortunetly, the truths we speak of and recognize are the small truths (small t) that we want to believe..
    Enlightenment is probably best practiced as self-enlightenment, much as self-delusion, which is well practiced here on PP.I have been over every high pass in and out of Leadville. I spend a part of my summers there training at Camp Hale.

JD

Just because YOU/I don't like what someone else says or believes does NOT make them delusional.

Some people have beliefs and values and principles they try to live by.
    Others, not so much.

Either way, we have all traveled the roads we have traveled, and no 2 are alike.
    Creating the "diversity" in opinions we have here.

See ya a little further on down the road!
    Last edited by road kill; 03-19-2013 at 01:12 PM.
    Stan b & Elvis

One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Jdogger, there's that sense of humor sneaking out again!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or in your case that sense of enlightenment!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JD might not have given you the details. But you can look up the facts yourself. Google Monsanto and Terminator Seeds. Its for real.

I have a little map showing Keystone relative to all other lines - inconsequental. I use it to settle arguments with the lefty's.

I'm sure BP's Deepwater Horizon was inconsequential as well until it blew.

My 1st job out of school was Climax Moly above Fremont Pass in CO. All living quarters were higher than the pass which was 11,318. The portal to the Philipson level was 11,500 with the top level at 11,990. Full retirement @ 60 if you survived that long. Our company apartment was about 11,650. Mined Molybdenum .
    Pretty sure it wasn't the altitude that was taking them down
    Carol,

[QUOTE=JDogger;1083841]
    No, marvin. My post like yours and others are opinions, and opinions only. I would like to imagine that all posts reflected the Truth, (capital T) you know like universal, all-knowing Truths. Unfortunetly, the truths we speak of and recognize are the small truths (small t) that we want to believe..
    Enlightenment is probably best practiced as self-enlightenment, much as self-delusion, which is well practiced here on PP.

I have been over every high pass in and out of Leadville. I spend a part of my summers there training at Camp Hale.

JD
    Unfortunetly , I will shoot a hole or two in your theory. I know a thing or two about the food scene, maybe not as much as most but I am a consumer & was raised organically as a sign of the times. I do know good food. This AM it was Sausage (from a pig my son raised) & biscuits from someone who's been doing flour for years. In the gravy was whole milk from another son's jersey cows, seasoning from MKC, pepper & Worcestershire from KR, & tabasco from Avery in LA. I will probably not get the remainder in the fridge per regulation but will heat to 165 when eating leftovers - Health Department regards.

It boils down to knowing your farmer & having a good idea of their practices. BTW how's the peanuts in NM these days?

I do take umbrage with your disdain for Farmers Markets. For the last 4 years every Saturday except when the family reunions happen I have participated as a vendor for my son's cheese. Nice people & the majority of the farmers are also down to earth folks. They work very hard. Have you ever worked as hard as a farmer?

Pretty sure it wasn't the altitude that was taking them down
    Carol - Sports Afield has a a comment from someone in the MO F & G dept basically saying "there are no abnormalities in MO's deer", who's diet for the last umpteen years has consisted of about 85% GMO planted corn & beans. Does that say anything? Everything including GMO is a modification - just look at our dogs!

If you have a concern about what you eat, read the FDA regulations on allowable additives in your food, might make you read the labels at the store. Or grow your own!

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Sorry Marvin, my reply was a little confusing. I wasn't talking about the gmo's taking the miners down, but the mining itself! As far as the GMO's go, my biggest beef is the patenting of seed and terminator seed by Monsanto. I believe the jury is still out on the health effects of modified foods. Let's see what happens down the road as more and more people are becoming intolerant of wheat and corn? I LOVE farmers' markets and rely on them. Of course there are people and businesses there that are not into local, just trying another retail outlet. But check around and it becomes pretty clear who is excited about their meats and produce!
    Carol,