The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Careful about the fish you eat!

Back to fish. I was in my local supermarket the other day at the fish counter. Someone from one of the local restaurants was there too. I was buying tilapia and she said they didn't buy tilapia anymore since they "knew" things about it. She then proceeded to buy Pangasius that said right on the label "product of Vietnam". Wish I had read this article before I saw her. I bought the pangasius myself a while back and really didn't like it.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Alot of the tilapia is farmed here in the USA some of it indoors. I used to keep a few specimens in my tank. They would breed like crazy then try to eat all their young, some would bite my hand when I tried to clean the tank when they were guarding their young.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Was at the grocery tonight and was checking the labels on the seafood! Didn't see any Viet Nam, but plenty of Thailand and some Chile and China.

Also catfish are the garbage can fish that eat off the bottom ... bottom feeders. In fish tanks, you keep a catfish or two to help keep the tank clean. They eat the "refuse" that drops to the bottom of the tank. Even as a kid, I recall the catfish, caught in our local river and ponds, tasted a little bit like mud because they are bottom feeders.
    Gerry if you were at my cabin down by the river I'd treat you to some fresh Sulphur River Channel Catfish, hush puppies, french fries er freedom fries, and homemade onion rings. I promise you would change your opinion about catfish. Dang got to go grease is hot and ready.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Good Lord Tim! You don't need to worry about the toxins in your fish! The fried foods will git ya first!

last night I cooked some wild caught (frozen) halibut. It was pricey but worth every dollar. You can have your tilapia, Swai or whatever
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    Gerry if you were at my cabin down by the river I'd treat you to some fresh Sulphur River Channel Catfish, hush puppies, french fries er freedom fries, and homemade onion rings. I promise you would change your opinion about catfish. Dang got to go grease is hot and ready.
    Grew up eating channel cats out of the resaca (spanish for bayou which I think is french for resaca) behind my house. We also swam and water skied in the same resaca and no one seems to have suffered any ill effects (except possibly the occasional twitch or nonsensical outburst ).
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Good Lord Tim! You don't need to worry about the toxins in your fish! The fried foods will git ya first!

last night I cooked some wild caught (frozen) halibut. It was pricey but worth every dollar. You can have your tilapia, Swai or whatever
    Moderation Carol moderation can't you just hear em sizzling. Dang recliners gonna get some company in an hour or two. Hugh knows what I'm talking about, fat and happy.

Quote Originally Posted by duk4me View Post
    Next time you fry some channel cats, try some of this. Their Bayou Glaze or Cocktail sauce is the way to go! Boiled some fresh shrimp the other day and dipped it in their Remoulade. Can't wait to try their Spanish Moss white BBQ sauce on some ribs.

http://www.frog-bone.com/
    Last edited by Franco; 03-19-2013 at 05:04 PM.
    It's such a shame that in the USA, defending Liberty has become such a heroic deed.

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Sorry Marvin, my reply was a little confusing. I wasn't talking about the gmo's taking the miners down, but the mining itself! As far as the GMO's go, my biggest beef is the patenting of seed and terminator seed by Monsanto. I believe the jury is still out on the health effects of modified foods. Let's see what happens down the road as more and more people are becoming intolerant of wheat and corn? I LOVE farmers' markets and rely on them. Of course there are people and businesses there that are not into local, just trying another retail outlet. But check around and it becomes pretty clear who is excited about their meats and produce!
    Mining today is actually quite healthy provided the rules are followed, the lack of oxygen at that altitude over time with that level of exertion is a health risk.

I don't have a problem with the seed patenting, there is a very large expense getting there. The forever thing is different & the ability (decided by the courts) of Monsanto to go after overspray onto others property are areas for disagreement with what they do. I remember the days of nubbins in the dry years, don't happen today much.

I think many are intolerant of various things due to the lifestyle led today. I think the over emphasis on cleanliness makes a lot of children unable to weather any setback. It's an issue that deserves it's own thread . Allergies in people & dogs!!!!!!!

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Next time you fry some channel cats, try some of this. Their Bayou Glaze or Cocktail sauce is the way to go! Boiled some fresh shrimp the other day and dipped it in their Remoulade. Can't wait to try their Spanish Moss white BBQ sauce on some ribs.

http://www.frog-bone.com/
    Duly noted thanks. At the moment I'm like Ken Norten......down for the count.

I understand a lot of people enjoy escaping from the icy winds and heavy snows of the north. Well, we ducks also look forward to flying south for the winter.
    Like our friends the great Canadian geese, we fly in a V shape; how high is anybody’s guess. But rest assured, we always try to fly out of the range of those hunters who bang away at us from their blinds.
    It was last fall, a little later than usual, that about a hundred of us took off from some lakes in northern Michigan and headed south. Although the sky was crystal clear, it was definitely cold. We were glad to be leaving the pond and what was left of some rushes.
    Food was really getting scarce. We took off shortly before dawn. It seemed to me there was an unnecessary amount of quacking. Being the leader, I told everybody to hold it down; we could all celebrate when we finally got to Mexico, or, better yet, Central America.
    The earth looked cold and just as bare as it did the year before. There were only vestiges of cornstalks, stubble or alfalfa and the trees were bare. A very heavy frost covered the ground , making it look as if there were almost an inch of snow on the ground.
    We crossed over a wide and very long river, probably the Ohio. When we had been flying at least three hours, I spotted a fair-sized pond in what I had to believe was northern Kentucky. I headed in first, as I was the leader, I was about fifty feet off the water when I heard a loud bang. That’s all, but it was over just like that. I fell like rock into the icy waters below. If there were other shots, I didn’t hear them
    The next thing I knew, I was staring into the eyes of a black Labrador retriever. He was coming to pick me up. Ever been in a dog’s mouth? Interestingly enough, they’re rather gentle. They know you’re dead so they don’t hurt you. I was still barely alive when this big black head moved toward me with a wide-open mouth.
    Just before he clamped down on me, I told him I was not just an ordinary duck. I was a red-headed canvasback, all right, but I was a “fish eater.” He stopped dead in his tracks, slammed on the brakes (hard to do in deep water), gave me a wink and circled back to the duck blind. He saved himself some extra paddling, but missed out on a big pat on the head.
    Me, I died, all right, but with dignity. Sure, I got shot down. I don’t care what anybody says, In the long run it pays to eat fish.

J Winters
    Last edited by JDogger; 03-20-2013 at 12:32 AM.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift