The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Careful about the fish you eat!

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    No doubt we have polluted the world's waterways and fisheries, I quit eating fish caught in So Calif waters years ago when the mercury levels got too high, about the only fish I eat now is Alaska salmon from the guys trips the last couple of years...I do miss eating freshly caught crappie from some of my favorite tanks in Texas
    Grandson is talking about setting up a system where he has fish in tanks and grows vegetables with the "fertilizer" from the fish. Simplified version of what I understood, vbg. He started on the green house but got orders ( he's a Marine ) to go to another "area" this past week. I'm guessing this will end that venture.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

No doubt we have polluted the world's waterways and fisheries, I quit eating fish caught in So Calif waters years ago when the mercury levels got too high, about the only fish I eat now is Alaska salmon from the guys trips the last couple of years...I do miss eating freshly caught crappie from some of my favorite tanks in Texas
    You mean you can't find a fresh water stream in Idaho that produces edible fish? Hellsbells, I have a friend that lives there that always had glowing reports about the quality of those fish. He admitted the walleyes we catch through the ice on the Oahe in Sodak are the very best, however. If you like to eat rainbow and brown trout, pulled out of rapidly running, ice-cold creeks, you can find lots of those in the Black Hills, and even in the Rapid City city limits. I enjoy the pan-sized rainbows...about 8-10"...but couple of meals seem to be all I want. Whereas, I can eat walley twice a week, and not get tired of it.

I am looking forward to some live Alaskan Salmon. All I can get in the stores is farm raised, and it's not worth it.

UB

FWIW, if you are concerned about adding another "pipeline" to our current underground systems, please check the maps of the gazillion of miles that are already transporting oil and gas and water to every imaginable corner of the USA. I suspect the track record of these operations is very reliable, but then if you want to be fed the usual propaganda from the Hollywood left, I reckon anyone can be brain-washed.
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Wait! How dare you guys insinuate that corporate profit should take a back seat to our supply of safe, fresh, unpolluted, un GMO'd food! If you act on your beliefs you will eat the toxic fish and defend the poisoners. My favorite is the frozen fish in the big colorful package with a huge picture of Old Glory waving on the front. The brand is "American Pride". In the smallest of letters at the very bottom, disguised by the seam in the bag is the line: Product of China
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

You mean you can't find a fresh water stream in Idaho that produces edible fish? Hellsbells, I have a friend that lives there that always had glowing reports about the quality of those fish. He admitted the walleyes we catch through the ice on the Oahe in Sodak are the very best, however. If you like to eat rainbow and brown trout, pulled out of rapidly running, ice-cold creeks, you can find lots of those in the Black Hills, and even in the Rapid City city limits. I enjoy the pan-sized rainbows...about 8-10"...but couple of meals seem to be all I want. Whereas, I can eat walley twice a week, and not get tired of it.
    Still a lot of ice cold crystal clear streams in Idaho with may be a little cow poop mixed in. I don't eat store bought fish for that exact reason. although agriculture can be be rough on water quality. I have drank water right out of the mountain side at about 10000 feet so cold it gave me an ice cream head ache. Unfortunately I'll never get that high again.

Pete

Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

I get that high every day Pete! My office is at 10,200'!
    Carol,

I get that high every day Pete! My office is at 10,200'
    That's a pretty rare living and working environment Carol
    What is the elevation of the valley floor. Taos sounds beautiful and no cheat grass I'll bet. (.

Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

mercury...I do miss eating freshly caught crappie from some of my favorite tanks in Texas
    i would eat fried crappie out of the tennessee river if i could look at them baskards and tell what the water temperature was!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    john mccallie

Pete, the house we live in is at about 7,500'. You are right, no cheat grass, but lots of sage brush and cacti of every type. And ZERO training water unless you want to count the Rio Grande! Our favorite training place is a meadow at 10,000 feet, about 50 acres. Rolling Alpine terrain, nice grass, flowers and evergreens, and just occasionally a pond or two before it all drains back down the mountains. Only pollutants in the mountain streams are bear and deer poop!
    Carol,

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Pete, the house we live in is at about 7,500'. You are right, no cheat grass, but lots of sage brush and cacti of every type. And ZERO training water unless you want to count the Rio Grande! Our favorite training place is a meadow at 10,000 feet, about 50 acres. Rolling Alpine terrain, nice grass, flowers and evergreens, and just occasionally a pond or two before it all drains back down the mountains. Only pollutants in the mountain streams are bear and deer poop!
    Carol: sounds a LOT like Durango....there wasnt much snow on the ground when I was there a couple of weeks ago but the only water is from either the Animas as it winds its way through town or the San Juan, my brother's neighbors have a pasture the size of ten soccer fields, with grass probably as short, but only the river as its border...the lack of useable training water is the only thing that keeps Durango from being the next great dog training mecca
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Bon, where the San Juan enters NM is where they have the two hunt tests each year. One the end of April and the other in October. But no FT water anywhere that I can find. Even the few ponds that Breck found with the Satellite pictures failed to provide any opportunity. Oh well, I guess me and my dogs are on the wagon for a while. Pretty dry county
    Carol,