The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So how many of you guys do formal obedience, Show and feel that it is important?

Default So how many of you guys do formal obedience, Show and feel that it is important?

Do any of you guys feel it is relevant and do you show in A.K.C. ....
    PINE RUN'S BIG GUN*** C.D.X.,W.C.X.
    OTCH SHANNON SHAMROCK WCX
    SHANNONS FLYING REDHEAD CDX, WCX
    MAGICS MARKING RED RICO CDX, WCX

I did take lessons and show CKC Pre Novice and did the GNC with my older dog and 3yo, I have gotten away from it. Too hard to work, do field and agility, DD and obedience. You start to spread yourself too thin and it gets costly. I find the indoor agility however keeps your dog and you in shape during winter months when the weather is bad so I have been doing it instead of obedience. Plus I am trying to concentrate just on field. Do incorporate obedience needed while training.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    Pink Lady

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

I enjoy training and showing in obedience. I feel it is very complementary to field work and it gives me something to,do in the winter. I have also run agility but that requires either a big investment in equipment or finding a place indoors to practice. Either venue allows you to work more with your dog and the competition keeps you motivated to train.
    Dawn
    mostlygold
    Terrill's Mr Butch CDX TT; Terrill's Adalay CD TD; Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HR WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

I made my winter goal to get a CD on my MH. Trained at a local facility a couple of times a week for Oct-Feb. Entered two weekends of shows in Feb and went three for three to earn his title. I use obedience as my winter project--whether I have a young dog just working on manners and consistency or setting a goal for a title.

Hope to take my guy to CDX later this year or next winter. Have another dog that I may try to get CD on in Sept at the local shows. I can use the air-conditioned facility when the heat is wicked in July and August.

Meredith

I do formal obedience and show in obedience. This has been very helpful in socializing my dog and introducing me to different ideas in training. As mostlygold has said it is very complementary to field work. Obedience is an ongoing thing and we are always doing obedience wherever we are.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

Ive done it. I think it's a great way to work on bonding and teamwork. It certainly can't hurt.
    Jill and the Tealgrove Retrievers
    Meg - FTCH Elmingo's Prime Suspect
    Jett - Eslana Tealgrove Jet Set MH, Can/Am WCX, CD
    Logan - Sherhaven's Wee Highland Fling June 25, 1997 - January 25, 2010
    Kinsey - Rimfire's Kinsey JH WC March 1994 - October 2007

I do the Foo Foo shows!! the vendors rock.

Archie also has a totally awesome goose stepping heel. I haven't made the time to compete in obedience but I do train for it. Did I mention the vendors rock?

Quote Originally Posted by Pals View Post
    I do the Foo Foo shows!! the vendors rock.

Archie also has a totally awesome goose stepping heel. I haven't made the time to compete in obedience but I do train for it. Did I mention the vendors rock?
    Are you a "shopaholic"?
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

I also do Obedience in the winter... since we can't always get out and do a lot of Field work without going south.......... When I'm playing in the Field ... it's my favorite thing to do... when I play in Obedience... it's my favorite thing... I can't figure out what I like best...... Either way...my favorite thing to do is be with and train and play with my dogs....... Definately my Calgone take me away time......
    Karen & Dick Kennedy

Home of:
    Pleasant Pine's Making A Mark, UD,RA,SH,WCX,Can CD,Can WC,CC,CGC
    Pleasant Pine's A Bit of Mischief, CDX MH,WCX,Can WC,CC,CGC
    Wilmark's Jus 1 Mor at Pleasant Pine, SH,RA,WCX,CC,CGC
    Pleasant Pine's Hidden Treasure, CDX,MH,WCX,CC,CGC
    Cedarwood's Always Playing at Pleasant Pine, JH
    Pleasant Pine's Returned To Sender, CC

Avatar Picture - Pleasant Pine's Hidden Treasure,CDX,MH,WCX,CC,CGC
    taken by Marsha Wilcox Photography

I dont do any shows, But I do go to puppy class and go through novice ob and most of the time the labradors shine far above the rest of the class. This is all before six months old and before field training starts.
    Wizardrheas Roxtar MH (Roxie)
    Hibrass' She's Gotcha All Choked Up (Briley) Born 12/14/2013
    Sophie ( Bed Bug Detection Beagle)
    Mariah's Sunshine Tess (3-30-2000 / 8-10-2012) RIP Old Girl

This isn't a social event!!! Get a dog on the line!!