The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: (R) Rob Portman?

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    ............................................. I questioned him about his Christian values and his position was hate the sin, love the sinner.
    I think he is correct. It's just like some things that other people are doing that are sins. Most of us don't try to tell other people about those sins. I have a relative whoes life style is a sin ( it is not a gay lifestyle ). He knows very well that his life is not correct. It's up to him to change it. My "preaching" if I were to do so would just drive him away. Besides I got all I can do trying to keep charly on the "straight and narrow"
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    I do not begrudge anyone of their sexual preference. That is none of my business or in my opinion the business of the government.

What I am trying to say is that he is against Gays & Lesbians right up to the day it affected HIM personally then it's OK. My belief is that if you truly believe in a cause, whether that be Homosexuality, Cancer or Guns then support your cause from the start. Do not wait until it suddenly affects you otherwise you are a bandwagon jumper/hypocrite. That is my opinion and of course because we live in this great country of ours everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I don't really care if it affects him one way or the other politically.

There you have the basic philosophy of, "It frequently depends on who's ox is being gored." It ranks right up there with "Follow the money". Both are very reliable factions in human beings.

UB
    When the one you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by charly_t View Post
    I think he is correct. It's just like some things that other people are doing that are sins. Most of us don't try to tell other people about those sins. I have a relative whoes life style is a sin ( it is not a gay lifestyle ). He knows very well that his life is not correct. It's up to him to change it. My "preaching" if I were to do so would just drive him away. Besides I got all I can do trying to keep charly on the "straight and narrow"
    One needs to be pretty careful about deciding what exactly is a sin. There are some who would teach that ANY sexual behavior that isn't for the sole purpose of procreation is sinful after all. (Thus the denial of contraception).
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Have to agree with Hugh and mudminnow on just about every point. There are also inheritance and property laws that come into play for marriage; but those could be extended to "domestic unions" via civil law, leaving the word "marriage" out of it.

There would have to be some limit on the definition of unions, though ... due to things like SS survivor benefits. If one man and two women could also be a "domestic union" that could create a problem.

Thus far same-sex "marriages" are not very common. As they grow more common, these couples will also begin learn about divorce, i.e. severing that relationship that they so ardently adovcated for. They may begin to change their minds about things when they discover that part
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    I do not begrudge anyone of their sexual preference. That is none of my business or in my opinion the business of the government.

What I am trying to say is that he is against Gays & Lesbians right up to the day it affected HIM personally then it's OK. My belief is that if you truly believe in a cause, whether that be Homosexuality, Cancer or Guns then support your cause from the start. Do not wait until it suddenly affects you otherwise you are a bandwagon jumper/hypocrite. That is my opinion and of course because we live in this great country of ours everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I don't really care if it affects him one way or the other politically.
    What was the catalyst to cause OBama to change his position??

Oh yeah, VOTES!

I guess you can give him a pass then, no hypocrisy there.
    Stan b & Elvis

I am against gay marriage because God almighty the creator of the heavens and earth ,,,father of my living lord and savior says we should be. Any body can say they" believe in God",,,but very few will admit or when put to the test say they" believe God" That 1 little word puts those statements worlds apart. The reasons are obvious to those who believe what God says. As far as marriage goes who here has studied this subject from the word of God. Most people rerly on what society says about it. I could give a crap about what society says,,, society is steeped in corruption
    I believe that God is infinitesimally smarter than you and me. ,,,,, and has his reasons why he makes these statements in his word. Hell he not only says men lying with men is wrong but men acting like girls is wrong also. I tend to believe him. Yet like God ,,,I will not look down on them ,,,, only recognize the evil behind it. The answers why are in the bible and evidenced in the world we live,,but this is not the place to discuss it. I say this without an ounce of religious bushwa. It is what it is.

Thats my opinion any way
    Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I am against gay marriage because God almighty the creator of the heavens and earth ,,,father of my living lord and savior says we should be. Any body can say they" believe in God",,,but very few will admit or when put to the test say they" believe God" That 1 little word puts those statements worlds apart. The reasons are obvious to those who believe what God says. As far as marriage goes who here has studied this subject from the word of God. Most people rerly on what society says about it. I could give a crap about what society says,,, society is steeped in corruption
    I believe that God is infinitesimally smarter than you and me. ,,,,, and has his reasons why he makes these statements in his word. Hell he not only says men lying with men is wrong but men acting like girls is wrong also. I tend to believe him. Yet like God ,,,I will not look down on them ,,,, only recognize the evil behind it. The answers why are in the bible and evidenced in the world we live,,but this is not the place to discuss it. I say this without an ounce of religious bushwa. It is what it is.

Thats my opinion any way
    Pete

So, what about all that wife beating and stoning and stuff?
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

So, what about all that wife beating and stoning and stuff?
    Yea
    The word says that's screwed up too. so whats your point. This is an evil world IIcor 4:4 The world is a messed up place,,haven't you noticed. There is some good,,and it usually follows good people,,,, but because God Almighty is not the god of this world and has no jurisdiction legally to intervene without our defense attorney present ,,that would be Jesus Christ our mediator.,,,the god of this world is the runs the show and puppets the systems of this world. II Corinthians 4:4
    If people don't like that statement take it up with God,,,he authored it I didn't.

The stoning stuff was mans idea,,,just like today men make laws. It was the perverted culture of the Isrealites. They seldom walked with God ,,but when they did God honored them and caused them to prosper greatly. hell most of their history they lived in occupied territory. They had trouble hanging on to the good that God was always trying to give them,, even King David was a man after Gods own heart went astray and did very evil things,much of it was culture induced but he always overcame his human weekness I set himself back on Gods side.

You have to be able to discern between human frailties and purposeful evils caused by the god of this world. Motivation means everything.
    Easy to overlook a mistake but not easy to overlook something evil with evil intentions

Pete
    Last edited by Pete; 03-17-2013 at 10:58 AM.
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The reasons are obvious to those who believe what God says.

Thats my opinion any way
    Pete

So, Pete.... I'll tell you right up front that this is loaded question: How, exactly, do you know what God says?

You may be the one clear voice in this religious cacophony. So I'd really like to know.
    Last edited by jim_de_hunter; 03-17-2013 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Change in tone?

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    What was the catalyst to cause OBama to change his position??

Oh yeah, VOTES!

I guess you can give him a pass then, no hypocrisy there.
    This debate for me Stanley isn't about politics, I could care less if Portman is a Dem or a Repub. It's more about our society as a whole. I have a hard time tolerating people who are dead set against something until it affects them personally, then they are in complete support. Or people who are all for something somewhere else but not in their back yard.

I'm not a Democrat nor am I a staunch Republican. If you would like to take your last sentence there and make this a political debate, then yes, the President is a hypocrite as well.
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call