The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: doxycycline (sort of GDG)

Quote Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
    I spent a good deal of yesterday looking for some *in case* I need it (my boy is sitting on a low positive Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever test, we're re-testing this week).
    It varied from $565 to $513.
    I did find some at a good price, though. Got it for $63.08 for 90 pills at Costco. I got the doxycycline monohydrate, their doxycycline hyclate was $513 for the same quantity. The pharmacist felt that the computer hadn't been updated for the monohydrate form....gots to go get it right away before they catch that!

.........One thing that concerns me is that doxy cannot be taken past its expiration date (unlike a lot of drugs), as it does degenerate into something different, and I believe, deadly. So if you do find some, be sure it's not past the date.
    Yikes on this last statement...should be a warning on the label??? Especially given that I (and probably others) carry with me on trips away for FT's...have some at camp for the summer (in case we forget it from home)..and in my overnite case. For the dogs and for us..as we find them on us or attached now and then...too often, actually..

Thank you for the headsup...will check with our vet tomorrow.

Judy
    Choctaw's Piscataquis Sebec UD MH CGC WCX ***
    UCDX HR SR Sand Dancer's XX MTB Ranger UDT, MH, WCX **
    HR SR Scarlett's Andi O'Malley CD SH OA NAJ CGC (OAJ-2 Placements) 9/16/1995-3/31/2011

I just bought some at Countryside Pet Supply online. $49.95 for a 100 capsule bottle, so I stocked up and am good to go for awhile.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Thanks Sharon, that's a great price. I'll google them. I got my 90 pills at Costco for $63, the expiration date on them is March, 2015 so I'm good for a while but I'm going to check out Countryside Pet Supply, too.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Is not Doxycycline HCL (Hydrocloride (hyclate)) the version we want to use for Lymes vs the other salts? Or do the other versions work?
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

The pharmacist told me that the active ingredient in doxycycline monohydrate and in doxycycline hyclate is identical, it's doxycycline. The salts in with it don't change its activity. However, there is some limited evidence in humans that the monhydrate is easier on the digestive tract.
    My vet confirmed that the monohydrate would be equally effective for the TBDs.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com