The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Most People Just Don't Know

Default Most People Just Don't Know

After shooting my new AR15 and pistols today with my brother, nephew, and a good friend, I stopped by to visit my mother. She is not terribly political and is a casual, shall we say, news of the day follower. I would consider her pretty much the norm of the american 70 year old. I have never really had any discussion with her about any politics or hot topic news subject until our conversation turned to my AR15. I brought it in the house and showed her and she said she would like to shoot it along with my .45 and .40 handguns. I found that pretty funny, since she has never show any interest in shooting anything while I've had a gun since i was 12. The conversation evolved to the point of a debate about the proposed gun regulations. She brought up Newtown and how all the little children were tragically killed, while referring to my 6 year old niece who was in the kitchen playing. I acknowledged the horrors of that event, as everyone does, and proceeded to explain to her that the proposed regulations would have done absolutely nothing to prevent Newtown. She countered with the number of rounds and the hi cap magazines, claiming that if they were limited to 10 rounds there would be 20 more people alive today. I then asked her if she knew how long it takes to change a magazine, and she explained how if a magazine is empty a shooter doesnt have anymore bullets to shoot. I took out my AR, put 2 empty thirty round mags in my back pocket and proceeded to change out the mags one after another in mere seconds. She was shocked that you could do that as quickly as you can and acknowledged that would have little effect on a Newtown like tragedy. I also explained to her that nobody has proved conclusively, that I can tell, that the AR was used in that massacre. Also, citing the fact that an AR style rifle is use in a tiny fraction of murders compared to things like shotguns and handguns. She was unaware of that fact also. Through the conversation, she mentioned how the rifle the nutjob in CT used was fully automatic, and she was also shocked when I told her that the weapon she was talking about was the same one I had showed her earlier. She at that point, was in agreement that banning hi cap mags and AR style rifles would realistically and logically would have no effect preventing another Newtown. She then asked how we get justice for the parents of the senselessly murder children, and I asked her justice against who? The perpetrator is dead. We had talked about armed guards in school earlier in the conversation and she was totally against it. I asked her why, and she said more guns in a place like that could increase the danger to the children. I gave her a hypothetical situation where in a war, if a garrison or post is being attacked, does it make any sense for said post to declare their post a gun free zone in order to stop the attacks? Of course not, you meet threat with threat. After some further discussion, including securtiy at schools for high profile children and how they are guarded by men with guns because of percieved and real threats to them and how school shootings are a real threat in today's society and our children deserve the same protection, she agreed to it would be a good idea. I was dissapointed how skewed her views were on guns, gun violence, and gun bans. I asked her how she got her news, and she said she watches MSNBC. Bottomline is, I was shocked at the information she was sharing with me and how easily her views changed when she got some real information about guns and gun violence.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntClub View Post
    After shooting my new AR15 and pistols today with my brother, nephew, and a good friend, I stopped by to visit my mother. She is not terribly political and is a casual, shall we say, news of the day follower. I would consider her pretty much the norm of the american 70 year old. I have never really had any discussion with her about any politics or hot topic news subject until our conversation turned to my AR15. I brought it in the house and showed her and she said she would like to shoot it along with my .45 and .40 handguns. I found that pretty funny, since she has never show any interest in shooting anything while I've had a gun since i was 12. The conversation evolved to the point of a debate about the proposed gun regulations. She brought up Newtown and how all the little children were tragically killed, while referring to my 6 year old niece who was in the kitchen playing. I acknowledged the horrors of that event, as everyone does, and proceeded to explain to her that the proposed regulations would have done absolutely nothing to prevent Newtown. She countered with the number of rounds and the hi cap magazines, claiming that if they were limited to 10 rounds there would be 20 more people alive today. I then asked her if she knew how long it takes to change a magazine, and she explained how if a magazine is empty a shooter doesnt have anymore bullets to shoot. I took out my AR, put 2 empty thirty round mags in my back pocket and proceeded to change out the mags one after another in mere seconds. She was shocked that you could do that as quickly as you can and acknowledged that would have little effect on a Newtown like tragedy. I also explained to her that nobody has proved conclusively, that I can tell, that the AR was used in that massacre. Also, citing the fact that an AR style rifle is use in a tiny fraction of murders compared to things like shotguns and handguns. She was unaware of that fact also. Through the conversation, she mentioned how the rifle the nutjob in CT used was fully automatic, and she was also shocked when I told her that the weapon she was talking about was the same one I had showed her earlier. She at that point, was in agreement that banning hi cap mags and AR style rifles would realistically and logically would have no effect preventing another Newtown. She then asked how we get justice for the parents of the senselessly murder children, and I asked her justice against who? The perpetrator is dead. We had talked about armed guards in school earlier in the conversation and she was totally against it. I asked her why, and she said more guns in a place like that could increase the danger to the children. I gave her a hypothetical situation where in a war, if a garrison or post is being attacked, does it make any sense for said post to declare their post a gun free zone in order to stop the attacks? Of course not, you meet threat with threat. After some further discussion, including securtiy at schools for high profile children and how they are guarded by men with guns because of percieved and real threats to them and how school shootings are a real threat in today's society and our children deserve the same protection, she agreed to it would be a good idea. I was dissapointed how skewed her views were on guns, gun violence, and gun bans. I asked her how she got her news, and she said she watches MSNBC. Bottomline is, I was shocked at the information she was sharing with me and how easily her views changed when she got some real information about guns and gun violence.
    It is clear that your Mother is vastly more intelligent and rational than a progressive liberal!
    Stan b & Elvis

It just hard to wrap your head around the fact that I think most people are reasonable, but are simply uninformed. This of course, is not new to this issue or anyother issue facing our country. How does it change? How can we let reasonable people be reasonable?

Quote Originally Posted by HuntClub View Post
    It just hard to wrap your head around the fact that I think most people are reasonable, but are simply uninformed. This of course, is not new to this issue or anyother issue facing our country. How does it change? How can we let reasonable people be reasonable?
    Maybe the answer is the same kind of thing that is done with "public service messages" for quitting smoking or avoiding drugs? Lots of random media spots that put these facts in front of the citizens multiple times, until those facts are as common as the opposition's facts.

Since there isn't much media that presents the conservative views, the NRA or some such organization, will have to pay for those spots.

Interesting fact that LaPierre mentioned at CPAC, even though gun ownership has risen greatly, the incidence of accidental gun injuries has declined during the same period. He attributes that to better education of gun owners by groups like NRA. But it's easier to educate a group that comes to you for such "advice." The question is how to educate those who don't know where to go for their information. You have to bring the information to them. Expensive? Probably. But not as expensive as not educating those individuals.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

It's every gun owners responsibility to educate any one who will listen.