The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (Health Test) ??

Default (Health Test) ??

I have a 3mo old BLM and was wondering what
    Test Ballpark price and age the test need to be done. Also what the test are for.
    I do know that EIC- Exercise inducel collapse.
    Thought all the good folks here could answer this better than researching each one because I don't know what I am looking for anyway.
    Thanks

Getting with the breeder and/or looking up the pedigree on the OFA webpage is a good start. You might not need to do "all" the tests based upon the status of the Sire and Dam of your pup.

The "Basics"

PRA- $195 genetic, any age
    EIC- $65 genetic, any age
    CNM- not sure , any age
    Hips/Elbows - around $200 - after 2 years old unless a pre-lim test
    Cerf - $50-75 one year old and every year thereafter.

Google the above or use the search function on the upper right corner and you can find hours of reading on each test.

I do know the stud is OFA- Excelent and a EIC carrier. The bitch on the other hand has not been tested bucause it is a trainners personal hunting dog. My pup is the out of her second and last litter. There have been no problem in the past with any other litters, just trying to learn more about the tests. Thanks for the info.

If you're going to do it, get his eyes done now, the younger the better with Lab pups, generally they need to be done by 12 weeks to see folds if they are there. You'll need to find a veterinary ophthalmologist for eye exam. I'm not sure if you meant the dam to your puppy was not tested for EIC or she didn't have her hips OFA'd. If her EIC status is unknown and she was bred to EIC carrier, I would personally test the puppy to get his status, you'll want to know if he's affected. Unless you're going to breed or are having issues, there isn't any real reason to do health clearances like OFA hips/elbows, eyes, etc, unless you just want to know or have a health guarantee to fulfull.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Start with the tests that can potentially make it or break it so to speak.

1) CERF - can be done anytime after 5 wks of age and is a great place to start. If the pup has any problems that could be causing him issues with his eye sight, you will want to know before spending any more money on further tests and if breeder has warranty on eyes, better that he knows sooner than later.

2) Hips and elbows- these are also "usually" covered by a warranty of some sort with most breeders. They should be done after the dog turns 2yrs, but look at your warranty (if you have one from the breeder) because there is usually a time limit, such as by the age of 26-30 months. If you are going to be putting a ton of money into the dog with a Pro trainer and campaigning the dog in Field Trials or Hunt Tests, then you might want to have preliminary x-rays taken and send them in for evaluation so that you don't have a year and a half of training expenses. Some like to do this, I personally think that if the trainer and yourself do not see the dog physically showing signs of dysplasia before the age of 2, then to wait and find out results at final x-rays taken at 2yrs. If dysplasia is found, you still have a well trained hunting companion that you can keep or sell if you are limited on number of dogs and want to breed or take to the highest level. Your choice, however some warranties are very much like the letter to the law and may not take preliminary results to fulfill their end of the warranty.

3) EIC, CNM, PRA- can be done at anytime, however if you know that one parent is clear of any of these type of disorders, then you are "safe". At best your dog will be CLEAR as well, at worst it will be a CARRIER. As long as one parent is CLEAR and you are NOT going to breed the dog (EVER!) then you really don't have to waste the money on them. However if neither parent has been tested, you may want to test your pup. These should be done AFTER hips, elbows, eyes though since if the dog "flunks" any of those, then why waste the money on the rest, unless the dog is exhibiting symptoms of the disorder and you are testing to rule out other potential problems. If you ARE planning on breeding the dog, then you will want to test your dog before breeding so that you can make sound breeding decisions with the results.

Hope this helps!
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

The female has not been tested but is EIC clear for sure I am new to the whole game and was just wondering with all of the breeding questions as of late.
    Like I said he is only 3mo and I figured if I had a little extra money along the way why not get it done. He will live, train and hunt with me the rest of his life regardless but he does come from a pretty good Sire and Graand Sire.
    Thanks for the info, trying to learn more every day.

Not suggesting anything about your dog although, one of my best friends got his dog free because of a dysplastic Ofa. Shot a few ducks for chuck this year at the ripe age of 13. He's slowed up a lot in the last two years. Still tries to get after it.

Not to worried about the hips. (EASY BREEDING POLICE! I do know it is a concern for the better of all involved and in no way want to get into breeding.) Like I said it was her second and last litter that has produced some great dogs and a few from the first breeding are with the same trainer now and have had no problems with any so far.

Quote Originally Posted by TimberDog View Post
    I do know the stud is OFA- Excelent and a EIC carrier. The bitch on the other hand has not been tested bucause it is a trainners personal hunting dog. My pup is the out of her second and last litter. There have been no problem in the past with any other litters, just trying to learn more about the tests. Thanks for the info.
    The first test I would be doing is EIC , as the father is a carrier and the mother unknown, could very well be affected pups.
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Quote Originally Posted by TimberDog View Post
    The female has not been tested but is EIC clear for sure I am new to the whole game and was just wondering with all of the breeding questions as of late.
    Like I said he is only 3mo and I figured if I had a little extra money along the way why not get it done. He will live, train and hunt with me the rest of his life regardless but he does come from a pretty good Sire and Graand Sire.
    Thanks for the info, trying to learn more every day.
    Just because the mother is not showing any symptoms of EIC, she still could carry the gene for it, potentially making your pup affected. I would test your pup just to make sure, as the mother was not tested.