The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Justice Served

Default Justice Served

The Steubenville trial - 2 young men sent to jail, their lives ruined, does anyone besides me see where this could have gone a different way? Or conversely, do you feel there was justice?

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    The Steubenville trial - 2 young men sent to jail, their lives ruined, does anyone besides me see where this could have gone a different way? Or conversely, do you feel there was justice?
    Yeah, I can see where this could have gone differently. Lots has gone wrong along the way on this. The thing that worries me is that many schools who have a good ( ? ) team encourage hero worship of the team.
    Two mothers of girls have told me how the girls are encouraged to give the team a lot of attention. We have sent the message that the team can do whatever they want to. The drinking was what caused a lot of the trouble in this case.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

I can see any number of ways this could have gone differently. Where the HELL were the parents of ALL concerned? Sixteen year old girl so DRUNK that she had no idea what had happened!!! What the hell?!! Her parents should be horse whipped. Sixteen and seventeen year old boys whose upbringing was so lacking that they thought it was OK to treat a girl that way!!! They and their parents should be horsewhipped too. I know girls' dad's who would probably have put those boys in the hospital. Where were the adults!!?? What decent person thinks it's OK for kids in their mid teens to have alcohol at a party or for that matter have an un-supervised party? A total failure of ALL who should have been looking out for these kids. The only thing that finally worked was the judicial system. I was brought up to take care of my friends, not take advantage of them (nor let advantage be taken). A truly disgraceful episode all the way around. Girl paid (and will continue to pay) a heavy price for her poor judgement. Boys also paid pretty dearly (but I think justly). No room for anyone to hold their head high.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Just a point worth noting, no one got jail time, they were tried as juveniles and will go to a juvenile detention facility for the time being (one and two years), records will be sealed.

I agree with HPL in most of what he has written. I blame the parents for a lot of what happened but the kids are far from innocent. Those boys better be glad that wasn't my daughter. In the grand scheme of things, they got a slap on the wrist.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Cockfield View Post
    ....., they got a slap on the wrist.
    ayup,
    poor feller crying like a baby in court.
    pussy!
    and it is not just the crime, bad enough
    but the aftercrime facebooking and cell phone pics and vids and tweets and twits.
    should take that hole towns sports teams away like they did to that university who had a coach doing little boys.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

You got it Ken. It's one thing to do dumb things when alcohol is involved but later when you are sober and still bragging about it, that's much worse. They not only bragged about it, the shared video and pictures with other people and the public. They aren't sorry for what they did in my opinion, they are sorry they got caught. Big difference.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell.

The football coach new about it as well and did nothing. They have text messages talking about the coach being told and he was "taking" care of it. I think had this not been posted online and them sending pics nothing would have came of it. I think I remember a hacker is the one who posted the videos. But the kids sent the photos and lewd texts bragging about it to friends. They should have been locked up for longer.
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~

If there was ever a case for eliminating someone from the Gene pool it's those 2 guys. They exhibited a complete disregard for human dignity. The only thing they're sorry about is getting caught. And unfortunately, in today's world, this behavior is not confined to athletes. It is becoming increasingly common.-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    I can see any number of ways this could have gone differently. Where the HELL were the parents of ALL concerned? Sixteen year old girl so DRUNK that she had no idea what had happened!!! What the hell?!! Her parents should be horse whipped. Sixteen and seventeen year old boys whose upbringing was so lacking that they thought it was OK to treat a girl that way!!! They and their parents should be horsewhipped too. I know girls' dad's who would probably have put those boys in the hospital. Where were the adults!!?? What decent person thinks it's OK for kids in their mid teens to have alcohol at a party or for that matter have an un-supervised party? A total failure of ALL who should have been looking out for these kids. The only thing that finally worked was the judicial system. I was brought up to take care of my friends, not take advantage of them (nor let advantage be taken). A truly disgraceful episode all the way around. Girl paid (and will continue to pay) a heavy price for her poor judgement. Boys also paid pretty dearly (but I think justly). No room for anyone to hold their head high.
    I agree with almost everything you've said here except I would like to add that kids know how to get around their parents. When I was in high school there were unsupervised parties somewhere about every weekend and if they weren't at a house where the parents were out of town, they were down by the river somewhere. This stuff happens a lot, girl gets drunk, passes out, and gets taken advantage of. the big difference is this was a group and not just some pervert alone with her in a room. I still don't get how someone didn't say hey wait a minute this isn't right, you need to stop. Unless it was the same mentality that gets people to draw penis pics with perm marker on a drunks face and laugh about it? BTW, I'm not comparing sex(rape) with markers but the kids may hold no difference, I don't know.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."