The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Justice Served

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Where have you told any truth? Please twist what was posted, using your biased outlook, to show how the boys conduct was sanctioned? You have joined the masses, including those on this forum, in your feigned outrage.
    " feigned outrage " . Really ? I don't think that you know any of us well enough to make that judgement about us.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Are you sure she was unconscious or just quietly enjoying the experience?
    Being drunk and unconscious was bad, yes....but that does not make her responsible for the actions of others...two puffed-up adolescent jocks who felt they had the right to rape her while she was passed out, then brag about it, including pictures.

Marvin, do you have a daughter? Would it be OK if it was her? Because children do get around their parents and they aren't always as perfect as parents think they've raised them to be. Regardless of how this girl was raised and the lack of parenting she may have had...that DOES NOT give anyone the right to take advantage of her situation.

I'd shut down the whole football team, fire the coach, and those juveniles would have been tried as adults.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    .....I'd shut down the whole football team, fire the coach, and those juveniles would have been tried as adults.

Dayum!
    but didn't I say that about a hundred posts ago?
    must be a Chessie thing.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Being drunk and unconscious was bad, yes....but that does not make her responsible for the actions of others...two puffed-up adolescent jocks who felt they had the right to rape her while she was passed out, then brag about it, including pictures.

Marvin, do you have a daughter? Would it be OK if it was her? Because children do get around their parents and they aren't always as perfect as parents think they've raised them to be. Regardless of how this girl was raised and the lack of parenting she may have had...that DOES NOT give anyone the right to take advantage of her situation.

I'd shut down the whole football team, fire the coach, and those juveniles would have been tried as adults.
    Sharon - being incapacitated was apparently her choice & from accounts written, not the 1st time. But there's a whole lot in the picture left unsaid & seems to be leaking a little daily. Sorta like a lot of news or what passes for news these days.

We were never blessed with any daughters, but from my days on the SB & the appeals filed to the board, some can approach difficult. We do have GrandDaughters & make every attempt to be a part of their life which they welcome so apparently that says something. Grandma is also the sitter of choice & passes on a few of life's lessons to all the Grandkids. Our Grandkids rang in age from College graduates to elementary school. I would be very surprised with the oversight we provided our sons & the oversight in turn they provide their children that would occur. We do not mince words with the Grandkids just as we did not with our own children. When my Marine son was questioned about his ability to handle difficult situations he told his sergeant his dad could teach the sergeant a thing or two.

For many of our era we had examples to follow, sometimes not in our own family, so had an advantage - most try to pass those advantages on to their children & others. I coached a ton of Little League sports, many where I knew little but provided an adult presence & some guidance.

Kids will be kids - they will try to stretch what is condoned - apparently in this town it was quite a bit. We had a rule among us kids when I grew up (don't make the adults mad) - that could get you a hell of a beating administered one on one if you did. After the 1st beating that issue became moot. Today that beating would get one jailed for assault. Most of us did not grow up in the greatest of circumstances but we managed to survive & become productive. I do not talk about my personal life but can tell you I've been through or witnessed many of life's experiences, none quite as seedy as this instance has turned out but know how kids act when partying. Sometimes not very smart but most have the ability to be embarassed by their conduct. When that no longer exists but appeared to in this case???????? I used to get free haircuts from the town barber as he was a big bettor on HS sports & said our team was always a good bet - consistent. I was also recruited to play at another school in our conference, which I declined so small town infatuation with their HS sports teams is not a recent thing. In 2 years I plan to attend my 65th class reunion, our undefeated in conference & district play is still one of the major events in this little town as is the noon time fight I & a classmate had on the town's main street over 65 years ago.

Shutting down the FB team is punishing kids who were not involved - but I'd hang the coaches (supposedly adults) if they were doing what has been reported - & though I do not know the laws in OH IMO there was a better way to resolve this issue which would not led to the boys being stigmatized for life. Sometimes what we'd do ourselves is tempered by laws that exist on the books, even if we do not agree with those laws.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Well Marvin,
    I'll give you this, I would have been satisfied with about 40 lashes on the courthouse lawn. It's one place where perhaps the Muslims have a good idea (public whippings). I think it would probably make a bunch of juvenile criminals think twice.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Sharon - being incapacitated was apparently her choice & from accounts written, not the 1st time.

Please help me understand why choosing to be incapacitated translates to permission for rape? Suppose one of those boys had been passed out drunk. Does that mean it would be acceptable, since he chose to get drunk and pass out, for another boy to play prison rape with a broom handle with him? According to your "logic". it would be just fine.

Personally, having learned years ago how to use a scalpel and set of emasculators thanks to a veterinarian friend of mine who coached me through castrating a couple of yearling colts, these boys are danged lucky it wasn't any relative of mine they abused.

As for the football program: Get rid of the coach who promised to "fix things". And suspend the program for, let's say, a year, in order to make a point. This idolization of athletes regardless of their ethics is incredibly foolish, and far too many talented jocks get a free pass for crimes when what they really need is an attitude adjustment.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

I can assure you, my outrage is not "feigned" when I see sympathy being extended to the boys who may be "stigmatized" for life. There is no reason, excuse or justification for their "outrageous" brutal behavior. I have only ever had one name on my ignore list. The list has now increased 100%. I do not want to know or hear from someone capable of defending such evil.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

.................................................. .................................

Personally, having learned years ago how to use a scalpel and set of emasculators thanks to a veterinarian friend of mine who coached me through castrating a couple of yearling colts, these boys are danged lucky it wasn't any relative of mine they abused.

As for the football program: Get rid of the coach who promised to "fix things". And suspend the program for, let's say, a year, in order to make a point. This idolization of athletes regardless of their ethics is incredibly foolish, and far too many talented jocks get a free pass for crimes when what they really need is an attitude adjustment.
    I have thought that a few castrations on some people in this country might help stop some crimes. I figured that I would need to kidnap a doctor and hold a gun to his head to get the job done. My husband keeps telling me it's a sin to kill people and I tell him I'm not going to kill anyone ! And.....I figure those people would have time to confess their sins an get saved before they expired anyhow.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Wow.
    For what it's worth I'll add my 2 cents....................
    I have a 16yr. old daughter.(She plays HS BB and AAU BB)
    I have been a coach for BB in the past.
    I also have a son.(Plays Hockey)
    I also drank in HS .
    My opinion now days is kids in sports are much much different than they used to be when I played.
    There is a real sense of entitlement. My sh4t doesn't stink attitude. It is the parents of these jocks(both gals and guys)the coaches and the schools.
    Also parents want to be their kids" friend" NOT there parent.
    So to fire the coach and put the school on detenion or penalize and punish those involved are all good choices in my opinion.
    There needs to be an example set.
    BUT........... to say that the young lady got what she wanted WOW I don't buy that.

Thanks,
    Sue
    Never confuse activity with success.

"Ummmmmmm Isn't a word." Judge Judy

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Kiefer View Post
    Wow.
    For what it's worth I'll add my 2 cents....................
    I have a 16yr. old daughter.(She plays HS BB and AAU BB)
    I have been a coach for BB in the past.
    I also have a son.(Plays Hockey)
    I also drank in HS .
    My opinion now days is kids in sports are much much different than they used to be when I played.
    There is a real sense of entitlement. My sh4t doesn't stink attitude. It is the parents of these jocks(both gals and guys)the coaches and the schools.
    Also parents want to be their kids" friend" NOT there parent.
    So to fire the coach and put the school on detenion or penalize and punish those involved are all good choices in my opinion.
    There needs to be an example set.
    Many of us have Sports Chops - along with my many other involvements with youth I founded the Elementary Basketball program in our 2500 student (at the time) School district & made sure there were dedicated places for them to play. Today that program serves about 1500 elementary kids (both sexes) for about 4 months in the winter. After that they have morphed into an AAU program year round.

I know parents well & have dealt with my share of jerks, also on occasion met someone who was appreciative of what was being done for their children, not often .

But they are not the ones, kids daily see jocks & coaches get preferential treatment: last night I watched CSU's coach prowl the sidelines, he used to do that for Iowa State but they dismissed him for also prowling the coed parties while his pregnant wife was at home. & a couple of days ago a player returned from an injury to try to lead his team to the NBA playoffs - didn't he have an incident in Vail that good lawyering got him out of? & the Middle Linebacker for the Super Bowl champs, wasn't he involved in a big way in a murder indictment? or the Defensive Lineman from NE who made a habit of raping whomever he could find & occasionally thump them if they were not cooperative enough. Nothing came out of that as the Big Red was winning, their coach was an icon (eventually elected to the US house & returned to NE as AD) who apparently had a little teflon on his hide. The incidents are too numerous & usually come out after the fact.

Hopefully you are able to put 2 & 2 together to get where this went?

BUT........... to say that the young lady got what she wanted WOW I don't buy that.

Thanks,
    Sue
    I don't believe I posted that . But not being there one is only assuming from the grainy photo's that was her condition. I don't care what anyone on this thread says.

She & her mother bear a lot of responsibility for what happened. The entire community also bears responsibility. I would bet as the city was downsizing one of the 1st things on the chopping block was the kids programs, heaven forbid that some employee might have to go find a job when his program was no longer necessary.

Like you, I drank a little as a teenager. I know a little bit about how kids act, while I have not seen it all, I have seen plenty. I also know that on occasion the line between Yes, Maybe & No is very blurry - body language being the main communicator.

Unlike JD, I posted this thread for opinions & got some. I disagree with a lot of them & hope you never have a child in the position these two boys were. But I will not delete it.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!