The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 83

Thread: Justice Served

  1. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    I just looked it up. Brian Banks was innocent, no question, and his case was mishandled. And in his case, the girl should face charges.

    Don't know what that has to do with two boys raping an unconscious girl. Apples and oranges.
    More like apples and asteroids

  2. #72
    Senior Member Sharon Potter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin Rapids, WI
    Posts
    2,828

    Default

    One more point I would like to make regarding two young men raping and abusing an unconscious girl.

    I don't care if she is a pious, church-going virgin, or the town tramp that sleeps around. Both have the right to give permission and say yes or no. Using ANYONE sexually while they are unconscious and unable to give permission is rape, and it is wrong, and it is indefensible.

    All I can think of this thread is that Marvin either stirs the pot because he likes all the attention, or because he actually believes that men are allowed to use women in that manner, which sounds like his belief from his statements.
    Sharon Potter

    www.redbranchkennels.net

    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

    Team Huntsmith

  3. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pac NW
    Posts
    4,321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    One more point I would like to make regarding two young men raping and abusing an unconscious girl.

    I don't care if she is a pious, church-going virgin, or the town tramp that sleeps around. Both have the right to give permission and say yes or no. Using ANYONE sexually while they are unconscious and unable to give permission is rape, and it is wrong, and it is indefensible.
    We disagree , IMO had the young female been even slightly respectable:
    1) She would not have placed herself in that situation &.
    2) Young males do not feel they have license to disrespect respectable girls.
    So the situation would have not happened & we would not be having this discussion.

    All I can think of this thread is that Marvin either stirs the pot because he likes all the attention, or because he actually believes that men are allowed to use women in that manner, which sounds like his belief from his statements.
    In my line of work I had many of both sexes working for me - In our large group, where I had been the top rated engineer for years, I was the most unpopular lead with the female engineers. A couple of my bosses asked me about that - one with the idea of making an issue of it, which I quickly put to rest & the second one, who was much more conscious of goings on who stated "They don't like the fact that you treat everyone working for you the same." He further stated that one female engineer who had been gone for awhile & was looking to rehire stated she did not want to be assigned to my group. He thought that humorous as I was one of her only champions for her skills & work ethic.

    You didn't think, you assumed, which makes you what? The thread was started to foment some discussion on the legal system & it's inequities & injustices, it quickly changed when folks assumed . Many of those with deep wells were more than likely scared off by the tone of the initial diatribe, which left mostly those with shallow wells to post their equally shallow opinions.

    One of the neat things about POTUS is - many folks profess one thing, when put to the test they prove otherwise. Just have to start the right discussion .

    & Sharon, it's not a big deal for me, I've been the lone person on one side of an issue & taken lots of abuse but later proven to have been correct. It's a ton of fun to meet those folks at a trial & look right through them as if they don't exist, shunning regards .
    __________________________

    Marvin S

    Everyone's friend is No One's friend

    Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

  4. #74
    Senior Member Jason Glavich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    woodbridge,VA
    Posts
    1,943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    We disagree , IMO had the young female been even slightly respectable:
    1) She would not have placed herself in that situation &.
    2) Young males do not feel they have license to disrespect respectable girls.
    So the situation would have not happened & we would not be having this discussion.



    .
    So your defense is "She asked for it"?

    No matter how respectableor not, no one deserves to be be sexually assaulted while passed out. So if you were passout drunk in your house someone could break in and do it to you because you were drunk and I do not find that respectable?
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

    ~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~

  5. #75
    Senior Member luvalab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    central ohio
    Posts
    1,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    We disagree , IMO had the young female been even slightly respectable:
    1) She would not have placed herself in that situation &.
    2) Young males do not feel they have license to disrespect respectable girls.
    So the situation would have not happened & we would not be having this discussion.

    ...
    In other words, she had it coming to her. Furthermore, what they did was perfectly natural, given that she had it coming to her.

    And you have the gall to wonder how I came up with the phrase "The open sanction of drunken rape of and by minors."

    Pfffft. I'm done.
    --Greta Ode
    willing slave to the whims of
    Kerrybrooks Magical Atticus MH
    Coastalight Kiowa Ravenhawk MH

  6. #76
    Senior Member Sharon Potter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin Rapids, WI
    Posts
    2,828

    Default

    Wow. Just wow. So people with bad reputations have no redemption and no rights to who uses their bodies.

    As for putting herself in that position...turnabout is fair play here. The boys should have thought about putting themselves in the position they did as well. Because she had been drinking, she asked for it....and because they had been drinking, they get a pass.

    Misogyny at its darkest. (was going to say finest, but there is nothing fine about it.)

    Now...back to my other question to you (for the third time now, yet still ignored): Had one of those boys been passed out drunk, would you consider it OK to go at him with a broom handle, prison-rape style? He shouldn't have put himself in that position, right? So whatever happens to him, it is his fault.
    Sharon Potter

    www.redbranchkennels.net

    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

    Team Huntsmith

  7. #77
    Senior Member HPL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Coastal Bend of Texas
    Posts
    2,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    Wow. Just wow. So people with bad reputations have no redemption and no rights to who uses their bodies.

    As for putting herself in that position...turnabout is fair play here. The boys should have thought about putting themselves in the position they did as well. Because she had been drinking, she asked for it....and because they had been drinking, they get a pass.

    Misogyny at its darkest. (was going to say finest, but there is nothing fine about it.)

    Now...back to my other question to you (for the third time now, yet still ignored): Had one of those boys been passed out drunk, would you consider it OK to go at him with a broom handle, prison-rape style? He shouldn't have put himself in that position, right? So whatever happens to him, it is his fault.

    I think it's pretty clear that Marvin just doesn't like women even if he thinks he does. Unlike what seems to be the norm among the respondents here, I never did any underage drinking, never got drunk in high school, and have never been so intoxicated that I lost awareness of what was going on or of right and wrong, so really have a pretty serious intolerance for people misbehaving while "under the influence". As a working photographer who shoots weddings and other types of celebrations, I have seen some pretty disgraceful behavior perpetuated by folks who were falling down drunk, but there has always been someone around to help be sure that things didn't devolve to the level seen in this instance.

    I think the boys got off a bit light, but if the investigation continues and the adults involved are also charged, that will make up for it some. I am somewhat appalled by the girl's mother's statements since the trial, she should be hanging her head in shame for her part in this disgusting episode and keeping her mouth shut. Clearly she has dropped the ball somewhere along the way. The boys' parents have nothing to be proud of either. All should have to hang their heads in public and in this case I would even be in favor of their respective clergy pointing them out, and castigating them severely from the pulpit. A good public shaming might be a good step forward. I also think that any underage person seen in the photos or videos with alcohol in their hands should be prosecuted as should whoever supplied the alcohol. If the coach new about this or other parties like this, can his ass and run him out of town (on a rail if possible).

    As to your question about the broom handle, forget the broom handle, what if it had been a plain case of homosexual rape? Would Marvin still have suggested that the young man on the receiving end was feigning unconsciousness and secretly enjoying the experience?
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

    Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

    Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

    www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

  8. #78
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Oakdale,ct.
    Posts
    2,829

    Default

    I find that I am in agreement with Marvin on one point he has made, after all.

    In this thread we have discovered whose wells were deep, whose wells were shallow, and that one person lives in the Gobi desert, the driest place on earth, dying of thirst because he has no well at all. And to think that he made his living as a mining engineer (without equal, of course)..... Perhaps that is why he dug such a deep hole for himself in this thread.

    Marvin, throughout your life you have consistently been at the the head of the class or whatever profession you pursued, as you have been so eager to remind us, over and over ad nauseum. Except, apparently, where class is involved.-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

  9. #79
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Many of us have Sports Chops - along with my many other involvements with youth I founded the Elementary Basketball program in our 2500 student (at the time) School district & made sure there were dedicated places for them to play. Today that program serves about 1500 elementary kids (both sexes) for about 4 months in the winter. After that they have morphed into an AAU program year round.

    I know parents well & have dealt with my share of jerks, also on occasion met someone who was appreciative of what was being done for their children, not often .

    But they are not the ones, kids daily see jocks & coaches get preferential treatment: last night I watched CSU's coach prowl the sidelines, he used to do that for Iowa State but they dismissed him for also prowling the coed parties while his pregnant wife was at home. & a couple of days ago a player returned from an injury to try to lead his team to the NBA playoffs - didn't he have an incident in Vail that good lawyering got him out of? & the Middle Linebacker for the Super Bowl champs, wasn't he involved in a big way in a murder indictment? or the Defensive Lineman from NE who made a habit of raping whomever he could find & occasionally thump them if they were not cooperative enough. Nothing came out of that as the Big Red was winning, their coach was an icon (eventually elected to the US house & returned to NE as AD) who apparently had a little teflon on his hide. The incidents are too numerous & usually come out after the fact.

    Hopefully you are able to put 2 & 2 together to get where this went?



    I don't believe I posted that . But not being there one is only assuming from the grainy photo's that was her condition. I don't care what anyone on this thread says.

    She & her mother bear a lot of responsibility for what happened. The entire community also bears responsibility. I would bet as the city was downsizing one of the 1st things on the chopping block was the kids programs, heaven forbid that some employee might have to go find a job when his program was no longer necessary.

    Like you, I drank a little as a teenager. I know a little bit about how kids act, while I have not seen it all, I have seen plenty. I also know that on occasion the line between Yes, Maybe & No is very blurry - body language being the main communicator.

    Unlike JD, I posted this thread for opinions & got some. I disagree with a lot of them & hope you never have a child in the position these two boys were. But I will not delete it.
    Very revealing that you would consider the two teenage gang bangers as the victims!
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

  10. #80
    Senior Member Sharon Potter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin Rapids, WI
    Posts
    2,828

    Default

    The double standard also comes into play here, especially with the teenage set and clearly in Marvin's eyes. A girl who has slept with a few guys is labeled trashy and cheap. A boy who has slept with the same number of girls is lauded for his "scores". Even if one of them happens to be that same "easy" girl.
    Sharon Potter

    www.redbranchkennels.net

    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

    Team Huntsmith

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •