The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: doxycycline (sort of GDG)

Default doxycycline (sort of GDG)

Anyone price doxy lately?
    I know some people give it to their dogs routinely every year in case of tick borne diseases, but apparently there is a national shortage of it.
    I priced it today at local pharmacies, and, if you can get it at all, it's over $500 for 6 weeks of pills.
    Anyone else experiencing this?

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Yes, as Dr. Ed mentioned not long ago, doxy went up a BUNCH recently and is on a limited basis from some vendors. I guess I should hope the snow lasts that much longer, to cut down tick season, it's going to be an expensive one.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Yes, consolidation of manufacturers with a greater than 10 fold price increase, investigating using minocycline as an alternative

Doxy, tetracycline, prednisone, and many others are very difficult to get these days as well for humans or dogs. Cost is part of the problem with supply. Most cheap drugs are hard to get because who wants to manufacture antibiotics that sell for almost nothing when the same facility can be used to produce drugs that bring high dollar. Once the higher prices are in place you should at least start seeing availability increase, at least until oboma care kicks in and reimbursement drops.
    Even the fertility drugs we use which are not cheap are in short supply because the market is small so even though they sell at a higher price their is not much profit in them.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Woo hoo, looks like I am sitting on a gold mine. I must have 1000 pills that I was supposed to take as malaria prophylaxis in Afghanistan. I knew not taking those would pay off in the end.
    Maple Ridge's Flyboy Buzz Lightyear "Buzz"

"War is delightful to those who have had no experience of it"
    www.freedomhunters.org

Doxycycline is also used to treat the deadly "salmon poisoning" our dogs can get from eating affected salmon and trout along the west coast up into Canada. As we have a creek across our property that feeds into the Green River that feeds into Puget Sound, salmon come up and spawn each year. I keep a close eye on my dogs during that time and keep a thermometer handy and a supply of doxy and tape worm meds on hand.

Thyroid meds for dogs has doubled in price too(
    My doctor switched me from Doxy to minocycline. He said the side affects are less, and he is right. Takes longer to kick in- this is not for lymes, but a severe case of rosacea that affects my vision. I think it is easier on my stomach too.
    Carbon is allergic to doxy, so that cheap fix is out the window no matter what right now(
    Christine
    "We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable
    to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan." Irving Townsend.

Quote Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
    Anyone price doxy lately?
    I know some people give it to their dogs routinely every year in case of tick borne diseases, but apparently there is a national shortage of it.
    I priced it today at local pharmacies, and, if you can get it at all, it's over $500 for 6 weeks of pills.
    Anyone else experiencing this?
    It's $1495 for 500 count bottle here
    http://www.lambertvetsupply.com/

This is crazy wrong!!
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

You can Google it and possibly find a source. A friend of mine noticed the increase at the end of Jan. and she was able to find a place that still had it reasonably. I am sure it can be obtained in Canada. Drs. Foster and Smith had on their site that they were getting it the end of March? There are other meds that will work and I am sure a vet could tell you what would be a good substitute. All this stuff has happened since the last administration took over the Food & Drug Admin. Just the way it is.
    Last edited by Pat Puwal; 03-17-2013 at 02:36 PM.

I spent a good deal of yesterday looking for some *in case* I need it (my boy is sitting on a low positive Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever test, we're re-testing this week).
    It varied from $565 to $513.
    I did find some at a good price, though. Got it for $63.08 for 90 pills at Costco. I got the doxycycline monohydrate, their doxycycline hyclate was $513 for the same quantity. The pharmacist felt that the computer hadn't been updated for the monohydrate form....gots to go get it right away before they catch that!
    One thing that concerns me is that doxy cannot be taken past its expiration date (unlike a lot of drugs), as it does degenerate into something different, and I believe, deadly. So if you do find some, be sure it's not past the date.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com