The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Few Pictures From This Weekend

Nice shots for sure. I wish I could spring for a few quality long lenses.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

The geese picture is awesome, really nice angle. The woodie with his neck cocked is funny too.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Absolutely superb!
    www.BayouMagicRetrievers.com
    FC AFC Wing Magic's Louisiana Roux MH "Roux"
    Bayou Magic's Road to Hurricane "Roadie" (Knucklehead Puppy)
    Bayou Magic's Tough as a Boot "Boot" (Knucklehead Puppy)

"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way." -- George Herman Ruth

Awesome photos!

Very nice pics!!! I also would like more details on how you got these great shots.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by verne socks View Post
    Excellent! Would also like to hear more details of photos, how they were taken & where.
    I shot these at Chichaqua Wildlife Area where Mid-Iowa holds its trials and hunt tests. We have a club trial this Sunday so I may be a little late to help at the trial.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    Excellent, still waist deep in snow up here, last year this time I had already shot 2000 frames of spring waterfowl, I'm thinking this late spring and lots of snow we have will make it a banner year for photo opportunities here in MN and a trip to ND... Keep them coming. Is it the 300 F/4 or the 300 2.8?? I have the 300 f/4 but it's a little short at times. If I can time it right with the migration and weather I am planning on taking a week off and renting a 500mm.
    The lens is a 300 f/4.

Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    Really great stuff! How about posting the tech info? Tell us a bit more about how you shot the photos.
    Photos look like you were right at water level. Were you shooting from a floating blind or do you have a pit blind at water's edge?
    Most days I use a portable blind that I built. The stand that my blind sits on is built it out of PVC and I put pins in it so I can adjust the height depending on the water depth. This set-up allows my camera to be just a couple of inches above the water. I shoot my pictures on public water so I have to cart in my set-up. I did not get my blind as sturdy as I would have liked on Saturday and I was pushing my luck a little. The last thing I want is to dunk my camera in the marsh. I also will build some blinds out of natural material in the winter right along the waters edge. I always enjoy crawling in those in the dark when the snakes start to become active. I usually take my monopod and beat the inside of the hide before I crawl in. I do not want a guest dropping on my neck while I am shooting pics. I may spook a duck with my girl like shriek.

I am still going through my pictures from the last couple of days. Here are a couple of more.

Last edited by Handler Error; 03-18-2013 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Handler Error View Post
    Thanks everyone for the kind words.

I shot these at Chichaqua Wildlife Area where Mid-Iowa holds its trials and hunt tests. We have a club trial this Sunday so I may be a little late to help at the trial.

The lens is a 300 f/4.

Most days I use a portable blind that I built. The stand that my blind sits on is built it out of PVC and I put pins in it so I can adjust the height depending on the water depth. This set-up allows my camera to be just a couple of inches above the water. I shoot my pictures on public water so I have to cart in my set-up. I did not get my blind as sturdy as I would have liked on Saturday and I was pushing my luck a little. The last thing I want is to dunk my camera in the marsh. I also will build some blinds out of natural material in the winter right along the waters edge. I always enjoy crawling in those in the dark when the snakes start to become active. I usually take my monopod and beat the inside of the hide before I crawl in. I do not want a guest dropping on my neck while I am shooting pics. I may spook a duck with my girl like shriek.

I am still going through my pictures from the last couple of days. Here are a couple of more.

Thanks for the info. Next time you set up the blind could you take photos of it. I'm not sure that I understood how it works. My primary wildlife lens is a 600 F:4, but it is really heavy and cumbersome. I have mounted it on a walk behind floating blind a few times and that's really fun until the water gets too deep to see through the viewfinder. Several years ago I convinced a friend to buy the 300 F:4 and have since borrowed it from him on occasion, it is a really useful piece of equipment. Close minimum focusing distance, light and easy to hand hold, and razor sharp with excellent contrast. I have found the 300 F:4 very good for photographing large birds in flight (vultures and hawks coming in to bait). Actually I'm looking for a used one right now. Again, really great stuff!
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Quote Originally Posted by Handler Error View Post
    I did not get my blind as sturdy as I would have liked on Saturday and I was pushing my luck a little. The last thing I want is to dunk my camera in the marsh.
    Are you aware that you can probably get "all hazard scheduled insurance" for your equipment? I carry it on mine and I think it costs something like $1.60/$100.00 of value. I know one photographer that has had equipment end up in water (including a 500mm F.4) another that fell in camera and all once, and another guy who was climbing a tree to photograph a nest, lost his balance and let go of the camera (thinking the strap was around his neck, it wasn't) to keep from falling. Camera and lens landed in gadget bag at base of tree breaking camera and lens that he dropped and the camera and lens that "cushioned" the landing. I carry insurance.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Spectacular pics. You are very talented!
    John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold