The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Enter junior test?

Please note than when I'm responding, I'm not arguing, just making clearer what the situation is. He was introduced to decoys yesterday. He swam over to check them out then went over to his mark. Ignored them on future marks.

He does have a lot of field lines behind him (Mighty Mo was his great grandfather) and has a lot of natural drive and instinct, just not the training experience to back it up. Changes of cover do not bother him, he's a speeding bullet that will plow through anything.

Sounds to me like he's as ready (or more) as most JR dogs I've seen. It also sounds like he'd enjoy it and you'd really like to give it a try. Add me to the 'what have you got to lose' column. Go, have fun, don't worry about pass/fail ... he doesn't know if he got a ribbon or not, he just knows he got to pick up birds.

You can also add me to 'run while you still can' column. The fluffy dog in my avatar will probably never advance past JR and when we got started that was fine. It's still fine with him but I want more. We've added a second dog and started long range planning for the 3rd!

Hopelessly hooked from the very first day regards ...

SHR Turtlecreek's This 'Ol Cowboy - Tucker
    HRCH Oak Point's Traveling Man - Mason

It's a Junior test, Sounds like the Dog has enough experience to try it out, your entry helps support the club, and gives the dog & you exposure you might not get anywhere else. Just beware becoming hooked. I know a trainer who took a hunting pup only, to a junior test once to try it out, ended up putting an MH, HRCH, and MHR on that dog, and running all over the country, chasing grands etc. . If the dog delivers to hand you got the hardest part taken care of, Live flyer the only worry would be the dog not knowing how to handle a cripple. Training for that buy a bird blind-fold it, throw it live and let the dog retrieve it, land and water, once he learns to pick up an unharmed bird, cripples are not an issue. Otherwise in a JH test your holding your dog he's not going to break, unless he drags you with him . I'd personally run an HRC started first, just because if for some reason your dog doesn't get one mark, he still gets a chance at all the other ones. If your going for exposure your able to get all series in an HRC test. Never understood shelling out a entry and not getting to see all the birds, which you paid for, especially in the lowest stakes, where many dogs need line, land and water experience, just me I guess.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 03-18-2013 at 12:52 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Go run it and then report back to us.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

Add me to the list of those urging you to enter. Exposure to decoys in advance, like you have, is helpful. Judges shouldn't set up cheating marks and the excitement of a test might just over ride any desire to cheat. Make sure to familiarize yourself with the rules, you can restrain your dog. Good luck, have fun!
    Mark

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

Caution.......HT's are HIGHLY ADDICTIVE to both you and your dog...LOL. If your dog marks a fall, retrieves to hand and can swim and has drive getting to a mark ......ENTER the test.The RETRIEVING to Hand will be most dogs that fail a Junior HT's main obstacle. ENJOY .have FUN.
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

Enter and report back to us about the fun you had! With pictures please...

Enter! Fun game for you and your dog! Definitely addictive!

Okay, I went ahead and took the plunge, entered junior Saturday and WC on Sunday. Now a most important question: young(ish) female handler in first hunt test handling a golden. Which will make me look like less of a know-nothing dork - camo shirt or solid dark shirt? (don't worry, matching bandanas are already taken care of)

Both will be just fine! Good luck, remember to breath, enjoy yourself!
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot