The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Enter junior test?

Oh and also, can anyone list any differences on what I am allowed to do between the hunt test and the WC? I know the differences between the test set ups, but get mixed up on what I need to remember I can and can't do as a handler. All I can think of at the moment is I can point out the gunners in WC but not HT, and don't have to require delivery to hand for WC (but I will anyway).
    Last edited by Golden6824; 03-27-2013 at 11:41 PM.

Just go do it....
    HRCH UR01 CH UNJ WHISKEY CREEK'S DUKE CHASCERI MH
    Cherokee Foothills HRC

Just do it and do not forget to have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by savage25xtreme View Post
    Junior dogs should not be enticed to cheat, as long as your dog WILL SWIM you should be ok.
    This should be the case, but sometimes it is not. The JH stake gets last pick on the grounds, and sometimes things are unavoidable.

I have run 2 JH tests so far, and I have seen one contrary mark on land (running right at the water but not getting in) and a really bad cheaty mark on the return in the water. However, given the grounds the judges had to work with and the wind direction, I am not sure how these things could have been avoided. For example, had the contrary mark been switched around 180 degrees and away from the water, the dogs would have approached it from downwind, which is no good either because you can't evaluate marking.

And by the way, you are only kidding yourself if you think you are not going on to SH and possibly MH if the dog does well. I said that too, in addition to the whole "I just want a dog to pick up birds" think too. Yeah, right. It is addictive, and you have been warned.

Golden6284-

I would suggest that you get the AKC regulations on hunt tests (http://images.akc.org/pdf/rulebooks/RHTRET.pdf) and the GRCA rules for the WC/WCX (http://www.grca.org/pdf/events/GRCA_...lesOct2012.pdf).

I would also suggest a handy tool would be a printed comparison of the rules and the GRCA just happens to have that too (thanks Glenda) See: http://www.grca.org/events/field/jhunt_tests.html .
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Thanks, I've read them all multiple times, even read the field trial regs, just was wondering if someone had a concise list of handler differences between the two. I'd hate to fail just because I did something one day that I was only supposed to do the other day.

A word to the wise, a force fetched dog means nothing. While I'm very open about the fact that I do not force fetch, force to pile, etc., I wish I had a nickel for every force fetched dog I've seen in Juniors drop birds or even drop a bird and refuse to pick it up. Never assume that what your dog does in training will carry over to tests as it's a very different environment. Many calm training dogs go ballistic at tests with the dogs, guns, calls, scent of birds, etc. It can be sensory overload. My best advice would be to get the nastiest ducks you can find to train with and use those leading up to the test. The reason is that by the time the same birds have been thrown, slobbered on, and dragged through wet grass several times, they get a lot less enticing for the dogs. If you get to the water series, by the time the birds are used the second time, they're slimy and water-logged so dog after dog will drop them at the shoreline or well short of the line. If your dog is near you, just take the bird as those recycled birds erode sound delivery rapidly.
    "When a good trainer stops learning about dogs, he stops being a good trainer." the late Gene Hill

"If you want to find out what kind of trainer you are, leave your transmitter in the truck." the late Rex Carr

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood..../dog_formulas/

Golden6284-

I understand what you say. I used to compete in AKC, NAHRA, HRC, and GRCA events with the same dogs. After one NAHRA event in which a messed up, I decided that I would always read the appropriate rulebook the night before a test so that I'd have it fresh in mind the next morning. I would never read any other rule book that night.

If you'll look closely at the comparison between WC, WCX, and JH, I think you'll find your answers.

Is there something specific that you're curious about or that we've missed.
    Last edited by Eric Johnson; 03-29-2013 at 10:55 PM.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Quote Originally Posted by J. Walker View Post
    A word to the wise, a force fetched dog means nothing. While I'm very open about the fact that I do not force fetch, force to pile, etc., I wish I had a nickel for every force fetched dog I've seen in Juniors drop birds or even drop a bird and refuse to pick it up. Never assume that what your dog does in training will carry over to tests as it's a very different
    I'm new to field work, but I've been in obedience trials long enough to learn what you get in training isn't always what you get in competition. I have lots of trips home with no ribbon to support that fact!

We're just going to go give it a try and see how it goes. If nothing else, it's supposed to be a great photo op in the Texas Bluebonnets

Make sure you train with a group at least once in order to expose the dog to the sights and sounds of a test. You will learn what you need to train for.

Where are you located?
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."