The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Enter junior test?

So this weekend was our test. He was spectacular on land. Pinned the marks exactly, brought them back to heel, held the birds until I took them. Got several compliments on how nice he ran and was given the nickname Little Red Bullet.

Our inexperience bit us on water. It was really windy and the wind grabbed the duck and off it went down the pond among the stumps and waves. He never could find it again once he lost it, since it wasn't near where it had landed. He's never had to search for a mark in water before, always just marked it and swam for it, so that was totally my fault for lack of preparation.

Today he did pass the WC! My first field title!

After the WCX water they let him run the set up as two singles, and he did those fine too. So a little bit of bad luck for us that the wind kicked up as we were running yesterday, but it showed us what I need to work on with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden6824 View Post
    So this weekend was our test. He was spectacular on land. Pinned the marks exactly, brought them back to heel, held the birds until I took them. Got several compliments on how nice he ran and was given the nickname Little Red Bullet.

Our inexperience bit us on water. It was really windy and the wind grabbed the duck and off it went down the pond among the stumps and waves. He never could find it again once he lost it, since it wasn't near where it had landed. He's never had to search for a mark in water before, always just marked it and swam for it, so that was totally my fault for lack of preparation

Today he did pass the WC! My first field title!

After the WCX water they let him run the set up as two singles, and he did those fine too. So a little bit of bad luck for us that the wind kicked up as we were running yesterday, but it showed us what I need to work on with him.

Congratulations!
    For those not familiar with the GRCA WC: A double on land and then back to back singles in water.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

And my dog has had two doubles in his life, so that was another area he wasn't as experienced as he should have been. He was much more interested in the memory bird than the go bird - went for the go bird then arced around behind the gunner and went for the first bird. Luckily he didn't hunt for the the other bird so still passed.

And my dog has had two doubles in his life, so that was another area he wasn't as experienced as he should have been. He was much more interested in the memory bird than the go bird - went for the go bird then arced around behind the gunner and went for the first bird. Luckily he didn't hunt for the the other bird so still passed.
    You just made a whole lot of people cringe!!!
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post

So, I was not the only one. Good to know
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    Yeah, but, I have no intention of going past junior, otherwise I never would have entered him this weekend. He'll likely never see another double the rest of his life. Might try for more with the next pup, but we are very heavily invested in obedience trials. This was just about getting out and having a fun weekend!

Yeah, but, I have no intention of going past junior, otherwise I never would have entered him this weekend. He'll likely never see another double the rest of his life. Might try for more with the next pup, but we are very heavily invested in obedience trials. This was just about getting out and having a fun weekend!
    Sounds like he'll do it...this one is on you! Teach him some simple mechanics and you will be surprised.
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Yay, gave it another try and he passed this one no problems!

congrats on the pass
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve - Ace
    Foundation's Peanut Butter Cup - Reece

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser