The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outside, outside, inside

Default Outside, outside, inside

A question in another thread made me think of this and I didn't want to hijack that thread. How many people pick up birds in this order no matter what order they are thrown in? I know people that will always do it this way and I have seen it done quite often but don't understand why. Just doesn't make much sense to me. I usually pick up in the opposite order thrown unless there is a dangerous factor in doing this in which case I would select.

Steve, at the picnic Saturday we had the triple with the middle gun retired for the qual. Birds shot left to right. I had my dog get left bird before the retired middle because I thought she might switch enroute to the retired bird. Had she run the Open setup, with the two retired guns, I would have probably done them in reverse order.
    Renee P

I have a dog that almost always will pick up a triple that way. If I tried to convince him otherwise it was a cluster. Since he has an FC in front of his name, I stopped arguing with him.
    Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
    www.northmountainretrievers.com

I understand your thinking Renee. I picked them up in order and got the middle retired after the go bird while it was still fresh in her memory and because I was confidant that she would not be sucked into switching to the left bird. With a younger less experienced dog I may have done the same as you but I felt safe doing it my way with Pocket. I have known and seen people that would pick it up the way you did just because it was outside outside inside and no other reason. As for our set up Saturday I didn't see it as much of an issue but if the wind had been blowing the opposite direction I may have thought different.

I'll always (well darn near) pick them up using secondary selection. I don't care what order they are thrown. I want the dog and I on the same page working together.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

The strategy of which order to pick-up a triple or quad is dependent on a number of test factors and then ultimately the individual dog.
    Test factors can berder thrown, relationship of throws, number of retired, which gun(s) retire, distances, what the dog can see(at presentation of test when sending for each, while dog is in route) wind, terrain and other gun positions(exposed and retired).

IMHO never say never or always.
    ie Triple 1 retired: order thrown right-middle(longest)-left. If the middle retires most pick-ups will probably be: left-right-middle ,removing the suction of the exposed short gun and setting boundaries for the line to the long bird down the middle of the test.
    Same positions same order:If right retires and long middle is very visible to the dog from the line and while in route then it is real decision time. The factors listed above will determine the order of how handlers TRY to pick-up the 2 memory birds.

JMO

Tim
    Last edited by Tim Carrion; 03-18-2013 at 01:31 PM.
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    ....I have seen it done quite often but don't understand why. Just doesn't make much sense to me.....
    Most of the time, the dog wants to select outside-outside-inside.

And, if the dog has been well trained to not return to an old fall, since it considers those two outside lines to be "burned up", it really helps the dog stay in the middle, for the long memory bird.

Secondary selection, helps you pull out an indented mark.
    If you go long twice in a row, the dog's probably going to blow right through the indent.

I don't pick that order , I think most dogs do, and unless I am instructed by the judge as to order of pick up, why would I argue with dog, unless there is a very good reason.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

saw a triple in the AM this weekend. G1 was 350 yards left retired with dog going into a valley at around 200 yards and handler lost sight till 250. then G2 was 200 yards right retired gunner under an oak tree bird thrown where two hills met and sort of down in a crevice of them. G3 flyer straight up the middle 150 yards.

what say ye on this one?

Sounds pretty vanilla as far as order of pick up is concerned. Flyer, right retired 200 yard bird, long left retired bird.

Was there something in the test that suggested another order?
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013