The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outside, outside, inside

Absent some compelling reason otherwise (such as: my dog did not watch a specific bird, thirty dogs have run and nobody has done it, my dog is staring at a particular bird on the return from another bird), my pattern is

1. Go bird
    2. Shortest bird remaining
    3. Next shortest bird remaining
    4. Next shortest bird remaining

When my dogs got older (8+) and stamina became an issue, I might send for the big swim bird second while they were fresh

But, outside v. inside never factored into my thinking
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    I'll always (well darn near) pick them up using secondary selection. I don't care what order they are thrown. I want the dog and I on the same page working together.
    At the risk of sounding completely ignorant could you please explain "secondary selection"?

Regards,
    How The West was Won ( Colt)
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Extreme Dixies Rebel Yell ( Dixie ) JH
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.

Read post number 11. That's about as good a description of it as I've seen.

There's been lots of discussions on it so a search might work too. Could get some TMI on it though.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

When training I primary and secondary select quite often just so that I have that tool in the bag if I need it but unless there is some factor in the test that tells me otherwise I pickup opposite the way they go down.

Secondary selection is getting the shortest bird available after the go bird is retrieved. This is a simple explanation. Primary selection is the handler determining what bird the dog is sent for, not matter whether it's short or long. Note that I have said "sent". Primary selection used to be the rage and handlers watched many a dog fail because the handler wanted the dog to get a particular bird while the dog wanted another. Now most folks train on the shortest bird available after the go bird. Since short birds thrown second in a triple in the middle of two long marks is also a very hard concept for dogs, it helped to train for always getting it second.
    www.duckclubofoklahoma.com
    www.arcadiaretrievers.com
    Home of:

Bayou Magic's Rouxster Bleu "Bleu" Amateur Win
    Arcadia's Senor Jefe (Ret) 10 1/2 AA pts
    Co/owner FC/AFC Wing Magic's Louisiana Roux MH (Ret)
    AFC Arcadia's Say Goodnight Gracie (RIP)
    Arcadia's He's A Cracker "Archie" (RIP)

With my yellow dog, we usually go in reverse order, because that's how he wanted to get them, regardless of outside/inside. Younger black dog picks them up as Ted suggests - Go bird, shortest, next shortest, next shortest regardless of outside, inside. As a note, my yellow dog has problems with the real long punch middle bird or will overrun the indented middle, if we go outside outside middle. Convinced me that howTed suggests is better.
    "Too late smart, too soon old" - Now I finally get it Grandpa

Dennis Long
    HRCH SHDW MTN Aces and Eights Toby MH "Toby"
    HRCH Barton Creek's Winner Take All MH "Rio"
    Ranger 1997 - 2012
    Ragin' Charge of the Light Brigade "Cannon"

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    Absent some compelling reason otherwise (such as: my dog did not watch a specific bird, thirty dogs have run and nobody has done it, my dog is staring at a particular bird on the return from another bird), my pattern is

1. Go bird
    2. Shortest bird remaining
    3. Next shortest bird remaining
    4. Next shortest bird remaining

When my dogs got older (8+) and stamina became an issue, I might send for the big swim bird second while they were fresh

But, outside v. inside never factored into my thinking
    My training partner almost always picked up outside, outside, inside. My dog almost always picks up as Ted described above.

I don't like "always", "never" or "no matter what" in general, but with dogs in particular.
    Rick Curtis ~ Currently in Ontario, CA by way of Spokane, WA and Northern CA.

Little Man Caught It On The River SH ~ "Ace"

Handlers Handle, Dogs Dog, Judges Judge

"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart."
    ~Rex Carr