The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do?

Default What to do?

I am brand new to training a hunting retriever. My pup, Kimber is now 15 weeks old and coming right along. She understands all of the basic obedience commands, she is enthusiastic about retrieving her canvas dummy-I typically take her out for a few easy retrieves on land after work. She is going to AKC Star Puppy class once a week to be socialized, and we often go on walks through fields and woods and getting her used to water by crossing shallow creeks. I've introduced the gun from a distance while she is eating, and seems to not mind.
    With all of this, is there something I should be focused on, introducing, or even avoiding at this point? My only sources of training research are "Training Your Retriever" by James Lamb Free and the DVD, Sound Beginnings with Jackie Mertens, and of course help from forums.
    Any help would be absolutely awesome! This is my first time and I just want to get the best dog I possibly can, but also learn as much as I can for the future.

Thanks!
    Kyle

Get the Hillman DVD and start on that program. While progressing through that decide what formal program to use to further your training. Join a club, several of them in the Nashville area. That I suspect will lead to a training group you and the dog are comfortable with.

ENJOY the process.

I start teaching them to handle about this time. Just put a bowl at each base and then sit her at the pitchers mound. Run the bases and put your hand in each bowl but only drop a hot dog slice in one of them. When you get back to home plate cast her to the bowl with the treat. If she gets it right she is a happy girl and you can move the bowls out a bit after a few successes. If she doesn't get it right call her over and show her you were right all along. No pressure just fun and games.
    It reinforces the sit means sit thing, encourages her to watch you and builds confidence (for both of you).

Hot Dog trainer regards

Bubba

PS- that might be my first official non_GDG post ever
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Just have fun, Work on the Basics and have fun,

When we go outside, whether to do business or go for a walk, she will find every little thing (sticks, grass, garbage, rocks...etc) and stop to eat it. What should I do? I've been pulling her off of it with the leash, but I also don't want her to get used to resisting me?

Quote Originally Posted by Kbayer View Post
    When we go outside, whether to do business or go for a walk, she will find every little thing (sticks, grass, garbage, rocks...etc) and stop to eat it. What should I do? I've been pulling her off of it with the leash, but I also don't want her to get used to resisting me?
    Just wait until she starts eating poop.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Quote Originally Posted by yellow machine View Post
    Just wait until she starts eating poop.
    Yep, poop eating is a hard one to break

Quote Originally Posted by Kbayer View Post
    You're doing the right thing. The question is whether or not you're doing it the right way. For example, understand from the outset that dogs, like horses, resist a steady pull. Dragging your dog away from these distractions will tend to become a tug of war. Instead, connect your corrections with a command, like "Heel" as you walk away from the distraction. As you do this tie in a tug on the leash, and time the tug with the verbal command.

Good choice on your puppy program. But you truly need a much more updated, modern, sequential training program for overall development.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Yes! It's great to hear I am going about this somewhat right! I do give the heel command with a short, sharp tug (Or a series of these). Is this something she will grow out of eventually? I realize she is just a young puppy, but when do you think I could expect her to start listening, or at least aknowledging my presence) in the face of distractions, like other people, animals, and objects?

I've got my 16 week old CLM starting to understand the term "leave it". He's like a vacuum cleaner when we go for walks in the neighborhood or around the ball park, sucking up any little piece of trash he can find to put in his mouth. I pull him away from the distraction and tell him to "leave it", while working him back towards something that resembles the heel position. I started using that when I would sweep my finger through his mouth to get rid of something that I didn't want him have and he's caught onto the idea pretty well. I used that phrase rather than a simple "no" because I wanted him to know specifically that it was related to what he had put into his mouth and not whatever else he may have been doing correctly at the time.
    Jeff Ehlers - Sherwood, Arkansas